Chiefs Bills Playoff Replay / Bass Kicking

NFL Network showing a replay of Chief-Bills playoff game and got me thinking again about Bass' performance. Throuout most of his career he was nicknamed "Bass-O-Matic", but in this game he not only missed the field goal at the end of the game with a wicked slice, he barely made 2 extra points with the same slice (worse than my driver-- and that's bad)

Has anyone done a deep dive on why the downturn? I'm curious if there was a hold issue, technique issue, or injury issue.

Has to be more than a mis-hit with three of them in one game.

At least so far, the Bills don't seem too concerned as they haven't announced anyone they are bringing in for a tryout.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they could see how he is doing in camp. It is pretty easy to bring in another kicker. Kickers do the exact same thing everywhere. They don't need to learn a system. They only need to get on the same page with the holder, which they can do quickly with reps. So, if Bass is struggling, they can bring someone new in at any time.

There had to be an injury we don't know about to go from nailing 55+ yarders to punting instead of attempting 49 yarders.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

If we have to let our punting game suffer because our 5-million-dollar kicker needs a special holder for his kicks, its time to find a new kicker.   

I have very little patience for a highly paid guy not doing the one thing a team asks him to do well.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Kickers are a funny breed.....they could miss an easy chip shot and then it weighs on them all game long, to the point where you see them shanking to the left and right trying to over-compensate for issues that are all in their minds to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm still not concerned about Bass.

Let's see how he does this season, then go from there.

I wouldn't get concerned until he misses in a big game that costs the team the game. Until then no concerns.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 6

All I know is he has this season to redeem himself or he's gone.  82% is not going to cut it. 40% in the playoffs gets you fired.

2 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I wouldn't get concerned until he misses in a big game that costs the team the game. Until then no concerns.

Yeah, let's wait till he misses a playoff game winning kick against the Chiefs before we do anything. Great strategy 🙄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills regime likes to act like the missed kick never happened - just like they do with 13 seconds. Luckily for them, the local complicit media allows them to do this 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Dislike 1

33 minutes ago, 947 said:

There had to be an injury we don't know about to go from nailing 55+ yarders to punting instead of attempting 49 yarders.

And that's another problem.  How can we justify keeping a kicker that your HC has no faith in beyond 49 yards. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I would be too, which is why I am not in panic mode over Bass.

A number of fans actually believe we lost the Chiefs playoff game because of Bass. They obviously did not watch that game.

8 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Thought Beane would at least use one of the 7th rounders on a PK rather than hope for the best with Bass. When kickers hit the wall it’s usually for real. 

Has Bass really hit the wall? After one unspectacular season?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

NFL Network showing a replay of Chief-Bills playoff game and got me thinking again about Bass' performance. Throuout most of his career he was nicknamed "Bass-O-Matic", but in this game he not only missed the field goal at the end of the game with a wicked slice, he barely made 2 extra points with the same slice (worse than my driver-- and that's bad)

Has anyone done a deep dive on why the downturn? I'm curious if there was a hold issue, technique issue, or injury issue.

Has to be more than a mis-hit with three of them in one game.

At least so far, the Bills don't seem too concerned as they haven't announced anyone they are bringing in for a tryout.

He also shanked a <30 yarder just the week before against Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bass has a natural fade. 

it’s probably just like in golf. Just a little

mechanical issue (eg, coming over the top), and that fade turns to a slice. 

also like in golf, probably just a few slight tweaks and he will be fine.

I was going to bring up the golfing analogy as well.

He's developed a hook that can be worked out in TC.

But it's very difficult to work out while you're playing 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I was going to bring up the golfing analogy as well.

He's developed a hook that can be worked out in TC.

But it's very difficult to work out while you're playing 

exactly! A little off season will clean it up.

• Like (+1) 1