Warren Sharp - Josh Allen 2nd ranked QB in the "Gotta Have It" clutch drives since 2000

Posted (edited)

Only QB higher is Joe Burrow. "Gotta Have It" drives are drives where they are trailing with under 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half.

Lamar Jackson was 3rd, which means this HAS to be a regular season stat, Brady was 4th and Mahomes was 5th.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/lamar-jackson-better-clutch-than-patrick-mahomes-tom-brady-past-five-seasons-analytics

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

We've all seen this since day 1 when he stepped on the field. JA17 has that "clutch" gene you just don't find too often. He steps straight out of the phone booth and onto the field when it's all on the line. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

We've all seen this since day 1 when he stepped on the field. JA17 has that "clutch" gene you just don't find too often. He steps straight out of the phone booth and onto the field when it's all on the line. 

that’s code for being able to do things no one else can but not being able to carry that load for 20 weeks of full games. 

It’s the same reason his stats in December/January are great - take him off the leash and he’s next level elite 

• Agree 2

I like the title. Lamar Jackson better than Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady in clutch drives. I would prefer seeing this to tie or take the lead with under 3 minutes. I'm sure Josh does just fine in that as well but if your life depended on six I'm pretty sure everybody on the planet is giving the ball to Mahomes or Brady. 

27 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I like the title. Lamar Jackson better than Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady in clutch drives. I would prefer seeing this to tie or take the lead with under 3 minutes. I'm sure Josh does just fine in that as well but if your life depended on six I'm pretty sure everybody on the planet is giving the ball to Mahomes or Brady. 

This is especially true for playoffs lives. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, H2o said:

i was honestly shocked when we didn't score against kc at the end of the game. it almost feels inevitable with josh. this stat is not surprising at all. 

• Agree 5

There is no down and distance where I go "Josh CAN'T get us out of this".  That is an incredible feeling as a fan.  Most QBs on 3rd and 13 or at their own 20 with 50 seconds left you feel little hope.  With Josh, you almost get excited for those opportunities in a sick way to see what he can do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Win or lose, Josh has an "over my dead body" way about him where he refuses to lose. Sometimes it works, and sometimes, like the first Patriots game and Denver game last year, where the defense could NOT stop the opposing team in a minute time span. It's why I always feel like the team will be fine as long as he is our QB.

• Like (+1) 1

How are three AFC quarterbacks who have never won the Super Bowl listed ahead of Mahomes, who has repeatedly showed all of them who their daddy is on the biggest stages? 

On X, Sharp followed up that this stat was since 2020, not 2000.

That said, the strategy to just have Josh elevate everyone around him...I think he's done that about as much as you can ask a NFL QB to do.  

It's a risky strategy just expecting him to do that each and every year.  If that's gonna be the case this season, he cannot be hurt or they go into the tank fast. 

16 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

That said, the strategy to just have Josh elevate everyone around him...I think he's done that about as much as you can ask a NFL QB to do.  

It's a risky strategy just expecting him to do that each and every year.  If that's gonna be the case this season, he cannot be hurt or they go into the tank fast. 

I think the plan is to make the offense more balanced with a rushing attack. We've seen a concerted effort since Brady was installed as OC to make Cook and the run game a big emphesis. They traded Diggs, drafted another RB this year and kept the O line intact (save for Morse). More under center for Josh ect. Which should, in theory, take the pressure off of him to do "everything"

The Chiefs did it too. The got Pacheco and made running a bigger part of the offense and let Mahomes do Mahomes things. We will see if it works, but the moves have been made 

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Interesting to see Lamar on that list.

Lamar is a good QB. He's won two MVPs (deserved or not is debatable) and he wins a lot of games. His playoff stats highlight his weaknesses, but he's definitely a top QB in the league 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

That makes more sense. I was questioning the accuracy of that data when you have Nick Mullens and Trevor Siemian in the top 15 and aside from Brady, Rodgers, and Big Ben there's no hint of a Manning or other 2000's or 2010's Pro Bowl level QB anywhere to be seen. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Lamar is a good QB. He's won two MVPs (deserved or not is debatable) and he wins a lot of games. His playoff stats highlight his weaknesses, but he's definitely a top QB in the league 

I dont doubt his talent, but I do doubt his performance in clutch situations, maybe that perception is wrong but like you said, in playoff games he has put up some stinkers.

Posted (edited)

Even in the losses last year Allen was incredible in late game drives.  

tying it up v the Jets

two fourth quarter TDs v the jags to get within one score

took the lead v the broncos with a TD

took the lead v the Pats with a TD

Cut it to one score v the Bengals

took the lead last drive and again in OT v the eagles. 
Game tying drive v the chiefs (blown by bass)

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1