Warren Sharp - Josh Allen 2nd ranked QB in the "Gotta Have It" clutch drives since 2000

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Same exact coaching staff is back so I very much doubt it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. This coaching staff has a history of choking in the playoffs when we have a lead. They don't finish. Eventually you just have to accept that's who they are.

The main difference between us and KC is that on the critical play of the game, they don't have a miscommunication between their special teams coach and their kicker. They don't leave their opponent's best defensive player 1v1. In those critical moments they are completely buttoned up, and that's where we fall behind more than anything.

100%. Devil in the details. 12 men on the field against Denver to further your point. Just to put a positive spin Reid was similar for years in high pressured situations. He has turned that narrative completely around so maybe there’s hope McD can learn from past mistakes. 

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

true, but v the chiefs last year, McD’s D miraculously came up with three straight stops in the fourth that could have won the game if Diggs does not drop the ball.  One, Poyer caused fumble, second the third down stop taken away by bogus penalty, and third the stop on third down.  

And the Chiefs only put up 17 against Baltimores defense the following week while we allowed 27. All the resources put into that side should be able to hold a team to less points than that. Seems like the only hope is to win in shoot outs now scoring drive after drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, skibum said:

How are three AFC quarterbacks who have never won the Super Bowl listed ahead of Mahomes, who has repeatedly showed all of them who their daddy is on the biggest stages? 

Maybe his team leads late more often. 

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, McD is coach and that’s never gonna change. Losing four straight SBs wasn’t enough pain for this fan base, now we gotta watch an inept coach squander the career of one of the greatest players of all time. Fun.

Edited by Buddy Hix
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Nick Foles won a Superbowl, was above-average accurate, had more 400-yard games than I can even count, AND is No. 6 since 2000 in clutch drives. 

But he was never really respected. 

Got to just boil down to the fear factor. Regardless of his stats and consistency, the top five in that list are game-planned for. Nick Foles, probably not. 

22 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I know that play has been re-litigated to death but I'm still mostly upset at our coaching staff for leaving Chris Jones 1v1 on a designed shot play. We got the coverage we wanted, it was a TD waiting to happen, Allen just needed another half second. These small details in critical moments is why we can't get over the hump and that falls on coaching.

Yeah...I mean Jones is a beast...should have given him some sort of chip help or something on the play...they saw he was aligned outside on Dawkins. 

On 5/8/2024 at 1:57 PM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Josh is usually clutch...it's the Head Coach and his defense that always lets us down. I wonder what our "gotta have it" looks like on the defensive side of the ball, especially in the playoffs. 

It irks me to no end when I hear about Josh’s record against KC in the playoffs when he had the 13 seconds game all but wrapped up and never saw the field again. What’s the point of having a defensive coach if the defense isn’t winning in the post-season? This a make or break year for McDermott. Not saying he needs to win a SB, he needs to prove he can beat Kansas City in the playoffs. The Chiefs are flawed too and no where near the juggernaut that the Patriots were. We’ve seen other teams contain them like the Bengals and Ravens. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It irks me to no end when I hear about Josh’s record against KC in the playoffs when he had the 13 seconds game all but wrapped up and never saw the field again. What’s the point of having a defensive coach if the defense isn’t winning in the post-season? This a make or break year for McDermott. Not saying he needs to win a SB, he needs to prove he can beat Kansas City in the playoffs. The Chiefs are flawed too and no where near the juggernaut that the Patriots were. We’ve seen other teams contain them like the Bengals and Ravens. 

Yeah it's insane. He actually played great in this year's playoffs vs KC as well. He might've had a better shot in the very first one too if McD didn't punt on 4th and short like 3 times while his defense couldn't stop the Chiefs at all. 

I'll never understand how people don't see how much McD has killed us in the playoffs during his time here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/9/2024 at 12:35 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

And the Chiefs only put up 17 against Baltimores defense the following week while we allowed 27. All the resources put into that side should be able to hold a team to less points than that. Seems like the only hope is to win in shoot outs now scoring drive after drive. 

We had 6 starters out, I mean how much can you do with more than half the defense being 2nd/3rd stringers and a guy off the street starting at LB who was ready for vacation the week before?

Good grief...is your memory really THAT short?

8 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Cincy is 1-1 against KC and Balt is 0-1 in the playoffs so it’s not like they’re doing a lot better. If you’re talking about regular season wins then the Bills have ‘contained’ KC just as well if not better. 

Most of those Patriots Super Bowl teams during their run won a lot of close playoffs games. I’m not sure which juggernaut Patriots team you’re referring to. Ironically their most dominant team didn’t win a Super Bowl. 

4 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Cincy is 1-1 against KC and Balt is 0-1 in the playoffs so it’s not like they’re doing a lot better. If you’re talking about regular season wins then the Bills have ‘contained’ KC just as well if not better. 

Most of those Patriots Super Bowl teams during their run won a lot of close playoffs games. I’m not sure which juggernaut Patriots team you’re referring to. Ironically their most dominant team didn’t win a Super Bowl. 

I’m talking on a purely defensive effort by those teams. Baltimore lost, but only gave up 17 points. I’m referring to the juggernaut Patriots team that won 6 SBs and an insane helmet catch short of 7. Maybe not the first couple, but they were unstoppable when Brady hit his ceiling. Let’s see what Mahomes can do when his body starts breaking down and he has to play from the pocket 

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

We need to move on

image.thumb.png.d2ee71bfb2c2687d6c339bf1b1c2d431.png

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I’m talking on a purely defensive effort by those teams. Baltimore lost, but only gave up 17 points. I’m referring to the juggernaut Patriots team that won 6 SBs and an insane helmet catch short of 7. Maybe not the first couple, but they were unstoppable when Brady hit his ceiling. Let’s see what Mahomes can do when his body starts breaking down and he has to play from the pocket 

What’s the point of holding a team to 17 when you can’t score 18? Is there some kind of consolation prize for that? Like I said…Patriots won a lot of close playoffs games on their way to those 6 rings. They knew how to win close games but juggernaut they were not.

31 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

What’s the point of holding a team to 17 when you can’t score 18? Is there some kind of consolation prize for that? Like I said…Patriots won a lot of close playoffs games on their way to those 6 rings. They knew how to win close games but juggernaut they were not.

The point is the Bills would’ve won with a D that allowed 17 like the Ravens did. 27 points is too much in a physical playoff game where you have 1st & 2nd round picks allover your D-line. That should make up for injuries to the back end. It’s disgusting that McDermott hasn’t at least found a way to slow down Travis Kelce since they play him twice a year. 

As far as the Patriots go, they could beat you multiple ways. Close games, shoot-outs, whatever. Must be nice to have a defense that stepped up come playoff time instead of winning the regular season award. 

8 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The point is the Bills would’ve won with a D that allowed 17 like the Ravens did. 27 points is too much in a physical playoff game where you have 1st & 2nd round picks allover your D-line. That should make up for injuries to the back end. It’s disgusting that McDermott hasn’t at least found a way to slow down Travis Kelce since they play him twice a year. 

As far as the Patriots go, they could beat you multiple ways. Close games, shoot-outs, whatever. Must be nice to have a defense that stepped up come playoff time instead of winning the regular season award. 

With all the injuries on defense this past game against KC they did as best they could. In the end the offense had the ball last with a chance to win. That’s really all you can hope for against a great team. 

What you said about beating opponents multiple ways is as true for the Patriots then as it is for KC now. With great teams like them you just want a chance at the end with the ball. Trying to hold them with your defense while their QBs have the ball last will fail more often than not. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

We had 6 starters out, I mean how much can you do with more than half the defense being 2nd/3rd stringers and a guy off the street starting at LB who was ready for vacation the week before?

Good grief...is your memory really THAT short?

Is yours? Our D has been awful in the playoffs even when relatively healthy. We gave up what, 42 and 38 in the other 2 playoff games vs KC?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Is yours? Our D has been awful in the playoffs even when relatively healthy. We gave up what, 42 and 38 in the other 2 playoff games vs KC?

Agree, but in THIS particular game, at least there was a reason for it.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Agree, but in THIS particular game, at least there was a reason for it.

Yeah in this game I give them a pass, the injuries were insurmountable, but overall history has shown McDermott’s D gets worse in the playoffs by a significant margin, while other contenders D gets better or at least maintains its level of play.

McDermott has been carried by Allen up to this point, he has to show his D can win a playoff game against KC, heck I’d settle for just not being the reason they lose.

• Like (+1) 1