In the Bills mini-rebuild trading Hamlin to Pittsburg might be the right thing to do.

gjv

It's common knowledge that Pittsburg native Gamar Hamlin grew up a Steelers fan, and has dreamed of wearing the Black and Gold. Sure, I know many NFL players never get the chance to play with their favorite team. But I think Hamlin's case is unique. 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gjv said:

It's common knowledge that Pittsburg native Gamar Hamlin grew up a Steelers fan, and has dreamed of wearing the Black and Gold. Sure, I know many NFL players never get the chance to play with their favorite team. But I think Hamlin's case is unique. 

Is Gamar his brother?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Trading for a conditional 7th (that may never be realized) might be the best for everyone involved.  It saves the Bills from having to cut a popular public figure and it saves the Steelers from giving up much in the way of compensation.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The truth is any backup player generating press for non-football related reasons is a distraction. And I hate to say this, but it appears fame has gotten to Damar's head a little bit. Trading him to Pitt is a better PR move than just cutting him outright, but he probably shouldn't be on the roster this year regardless. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, msw2112 said:

Trading for a conditional 7th (that may never be realized) might be the best for everyone involved.  It saves the Bills from having to cut a popular public figure and it saves the Steelers from giving up much in the way of compensation.  

That I can get behind!

I mean no disrespect to Damar Hamlin, but his trade value is approximately zero. If the Bills got a conditional 2026 7th rounder I would be shocked. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why do so many people seem to think that other teams are clamoring for the opportunity to acquire crappy players?  Do you put every banana peel on eBay instead of throwing it in the trash thinking that someone else must want it?

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

The truth is any backup player generating press for non-football related reasons is a distraction. And I hate to say this, but it appears fame has gotten to Damar's head a little bit. Trading him to Pitt is a better PR move than just cutting him outright, but he probably shouldn't be on the roster this year regardless. 

Not saying anything about you being right/wrong here...but can you provide an example of what you see that makes you believe this? Maybe a link to an interview you've seen that shows it? Or something?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Why do so many people seem to think that other teams are clamoring for the opportunity to acquire crappy players?  Do you put every banana peel on eBay instead of throwing it in the trash thinking that someone else must want it?

But but Damar claimed it be a dream to play for the Steelers, guess means we need to unload him cuz he hates the Bills [/chicken little]

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Normally I would agree wholeheartedly with this statement. However in this case I don't think the Steelers being willing to give a conditional 2026 7th or something to bring home the Pittsburgh native, that played at Pitt and is a huge fan favorite/goodwill ambassador is that far fetched. They may even be able to set him up on the practice squad and let him do his thing in his own hometown. The PR would be worth the throwaway pick IMO.

40 minutes ago, benderbender said:

No need to trade. He's going to get cut if Hyde comes back. He's safety 5 at the moment. 

This. Regardless of Hyde coming back or not he’s a long shot to make the team at this point. At least he should be. He’s not good. He showed a little fire and promise out there before the incident but since then he’s not even what he was before and that was a backup at best.