Seems like the Bills are building a WRer room full of large hardnose WRer's that can block.

gjv

Claypool is another inexpensive option for the Bills’ short and intermediate passing game development. He is a guy with a ton of wasted potential so far, if he pulls his head out of his dupah, then you’ve got a real contributor. He has an A+ QB so that will change things. Should he fail, we’ve lost nothing. Shorter and Shavers get to see what desperation looks like up close. Considering how our long passing game was so well defended last year, I like how things are shaping up with a mix of size and speed.  Shakier will have a very good year, as will Samuel. We may see a revitalized Dawson Knox along with an even better Dalton Kincaid. I do not understand the handwringing about the Offense. We will run, we will pass. We still have Josh in the saddle.   Joe Brady will put Corduroy back in style at OBD. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Which one has put up 20 TDs in the last 3 seasons, and which as put up 4?

Not that I'm a fan of Claypool, or this signing, but that is not an apples to apples comparison. Davis was #2 on the depth chart. But if Claypool had been in this offense last season, and given the same number of targets (and I am certainly ignoring Josh's comfort, and familiarity with Davis), he's probably going to deliver the same amount of production. To keep Davis here would have been expensive, and worked against the cap. Bringing in Claypool is low risk-- and who knows? Maybe this is the season he lives up to his reported "potential?"

Probably not, but if he did, he wouldn't be the first WR to have career years with Allen throwing them the ball-- Diggs, Brown, Beasley, were all seasoned veterans, and all had their best seasons when they arrived in Buffalo. Taking a "flyer" on a vet who never lived up to their potential means something different when Josh Allen is your quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

1. Get bigger and slower at WR

2. Take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands more

Perfect offseason so far.

Huh?

Hamler runs a 4.27

Samuel runs a 4.31

Isabella runs a 4.33

Shakir runs a 4.42

Claypool runs a 4.42

Doesn't seem that slow to me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

No more getting bullied at the LOS,

This is it.
Bean sees how DBs are not getting penalties for playing grabby, physical play style in the playoffs. This is what KC does all the time. Starting with Kincaid, and now Coleman and Claypool, he is getting us bigger players who can play through that. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I hope this isn't a season full of:

1st and 10 - run, gain of 2

2nd and 9 - run, no gain

3rd and 8 - penalty false start

3rd and 13 - pass for 11 yd gain

Punt

No fake punt, with Hamlin taking the snap?

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Huh?

Hamler runs a 4.27

Samuel runs a 4.31

Isabella runs a 4.33

Shakir runs a 4.42

Claypool runs a 4.42

Doesn't seem that slow to me.

He’s sad 😢

Our lovely Logic has applied for entrance into the Sadness Brigade.  Awaiting approval I believe 😞 Dont Leave Me Mona Lisa GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

To be clear, I think Claypool should probably NOT make the 53 man roster. He has contributed progressively less each year of his career. Came into the league with some rare physical gifts, but likely lacks the discipline and humility to actually IMPROVE. He got a legitimate chance at it: over 100 targets each of his first two seasons, and still was shipped out in year three. And then again in year four. Really bad catch %. Really bad ROI. 

Sure I'd be happy to root for him if he has turned some unexpected corner in his professional career. But I don't think that's likely. Especially in the Bills passing offense that requires a lot of its WRs pre- and post-snap. 

No reason to be mad at Beane for giving the guy a look (as long as his dead cap is super low once he's cut), but the physical traits shouldn't be attracting many NFL suitors anymore imho. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Beast said:

Who were all these separators last season when Allen had an MVP worthy season?

Easily diggs, he was on fire first half of season. Allen had 2nd most Ints in the league last year? Was a rather weak MVP season overall, compared to previous years. Defenses realized that once you took diggs away it was tough for us to get the ball moving. Who is getting doubled teamed or taking the pressure away next year? 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Easily diggs, he was on fire first half of season. Allen had 2nd most Ints in the league last year? Was a rather weak MVP season overall, compared to previous years. Defenses realized that once you took diggs away it was tough for us to get the ball moving. Who is getting doubled teamed or taking the pressure away next year? 

Diggs wasn’t separating at the end of last year and the film showed it.  He was either slowing down or not giving same effort - the result was the same, regardless. Allen actually had far less ints after the OC change, and it coincided with targeting Diggs and Davis less.  For instance, prior to Denver game 97 targets 834 yds, 7 TDs for Diggs, and from DEN on 63 targets 349 yds, 1 TD.   Davis and Allen were clearly not on same page many games, and Josh had the highest Int % per attempt throwing to Davis.  To me it’s no surprise neither is on the roster anymore. Is there a drop off in talent?  Yes, but chemistry is important and no doubt we still have questions about the chemistry with the new look WRs.  Claypool is talented and it’s not much of a gamble, and if he can’t play with Allen his career is pretty much over.  Claypool has all he could ask for in terms of opportunity and if he does put in the work it could be a sneaky good signing.  I get that’s still a big IF.

Keeping Diggs and Davis would have been a worse decision then moving on from them seeing how neither was integral to winning when the Bills stopped effing around at end of season.

Edited by Ayjent
  • Agree 1

Chase Claypool ain’t making the team unless he has had a complete epiphany.  The Bills are kicking the tires but he’s a long shot at best.

The biggest difference in the Bills’ WR room is that they are drafting/signing people who don’t drop the ball.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Polar opposite of the smurfs from Allen's early days.

I wonder if the moves are a counter to the league trends towards the passing game that have resulted in smaller, but faster defenders who can cover.

Fine, you want to play that way, we'll just bulldoze your arses with 2 TE and big WRs. Let Cook juke his way through while Ray Davis and Josh Allen run over and past everyone else. If the defenders try to cheat up, we've got big guys with great hands who can move the chains from the slot, RBs who can slide out and catch,  or contested catches on the outside. Maybe we'll be seeing a little more from the screen passe game than we have in recent years.

I think that's where they're going with this.

Because Allen's so efficient with the screen pass.  LOL

If that's the direction that they're going than they're pretty stupid.  That hardly plays to Allen's base skillset and it'll show.  

There no obvious plan and whatever it is that they're "planning," if it actually is a plan of some sort and not merely shooting from the hip, it's a complete departure from what they've done over the past for seasons seemingly.  

It should be concerning.  

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

Diggs wasn’t separating at the end of last year and the film showed it.  He was either slowing down or not giving same effort - the result was the same, regardless. Allen actually had far less ints after the OC change, and it coincided with targeting Diggs and Davis less.  For instance, prior to Denver game 97 targets 834 yds, 7 TDs for Diggs, and from DEN on 63 targets 349 yds, 1 TD.   Davis and Allen were clearly not on same page many games, and Josh had the highest Int % per attempt throwing to Davis.  To me it’s no surprise neither is on the roster anymore. Is there a drop off in talent?  Yes, but chemistry is important and no doubt we still have questions about the chemistry with the new look WRs.  Claypool is talented and it’s not much of a gamble, and if he can’t play with Allen his career is pretty much over.  Claypool has all he could ask for in terms of opportunity and if he does put in the work it could be a sneaky good signing.  I get that’s still a big IF.

Keeping Diggs and Davis would have been a worse decision then moving on from them seeing how neither was integral to winning when the Bills stopped effing around at end of season.

Only time will tell, let’s see how we feel at end of next season. I hope you’re right. 

20 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The Claypool signing confirms nothing.  Forgot about making the 53 man roster, he may not make it to training camp. 

Maybe he could if he comes in around 225 lbs instead of the near 240 he's reported to be.