Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

46 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Couldn't agree more.  Guys like him have the talent, but don't really love the game.  I imagine at some point it stopped being fun for them.  

I think they get burnt out from the grind from Pop Warner to now.

Idk… Wr is a 100% dependent position.  With Big Ben he was pretty solid.  The Pickett offense was bad.  The Bears passing game was a disaster.  Didnt see him as a fit for what Miami does at wr.  Played special teams and decent blocker doesn't point to a guy who doesnt like football.  He will have to humble himself to make the team.  He does that I see a path for a turn around.  Top qb, open targets, and offense suited for his play style.    

On 5/3/2024 at 9:48 AM, oldmanfan said:

Bills fans conversations…

Going into the draft:  We HAVE to draft a WR!!!!!

After the draft:  Not THAT guy!!!!

The week following:  We HAVE to add a veteran outside/big WR!!!!!

After adding one:  Not THAT guy!!!!

You got that right.

I still muse that the Bills could've had Van Jefferson or Donovan Peoples-Jones. Both are young and have good experience and would not have cost that much to sign. I find these two receivers to be better options than Cephus or Claypool.

That being said, I'll give both Cephus & Claypool a chance. They are both low risk signings.

On 5/4/2024 at 11:42 AM, Yantha said:

Did Beane speak to reporters about this move?  I'd like some quotes of what motivated him for this signing.

Maybe a poll on what motivated him, 

On 5/4/2024 at 7:52 AM, aristocrat said:

Claypool should call up cris Carter on how to resurrect his career.  Kid is only 25 so he’s gotta figure out how to get back to his form from the first couple years in the league. He’s got the talent size and speed so there is some hope he can get it together. Little risk lots of potential 

Exactly, almost no risk and the potential is without a doubt there. People forget after Claypools first 2 seasons everyone thought the steelers hit a homerun. 

I have little to no expectations for Claypool, but he has all the tools and who knows, once he gets in that locker room maybe he realizes if he puts in the work he could help get a ring and resurrect his career. I like the move.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

You got that right.

I still muse that the Bills could've had Van Jefferson or Donovan Peoples-Jones. Both are young and have good experience and would not have cost that much to sign. I find these two receivers to be better options than Cephus or Claypool.

That being said, I'll give both Cephus & Claypool a chance. They are both low risk signings.

I see what you're saying. And Peoples-Jones/Jefferson are the safer options. But very low ceilings on both IMO.

What I find interesting about throwing their names out vs Claypool is that all 3 entered the league in the same season. 2020. Both Claypool and Peoples-Jones have played in 58 games. Jefferson is credited with 61. So a fair sample size out of each.

Of the 3, Chase Claypool has more receptions, yards, TDs and 100 yard games than the other two. And that's despite doing next to zero for the last 2 years. 

I would call him the higher ceiling option. 

• Agree 1

On 5/4/2024 at 12:06 PM, Mat68 said:

The offense functioned better when Allen wasnt force feeding Diggs targets.  Shakir and Samuel function in the manner the offense has had success with.  Coleman adds a dimension outside they have not had since Benjamin.  Slants, Skinny post and fade routes.  I think Coleman puts up numbers on par or better than Gabe out of the box. Thats 80 targets Davis left behind and expect Coleman recieves most if not all.   Diggs 160 targets are getting split up between Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid.  I expect Shakir to go from 45 targets up to 90 and Kincaid from 90 to 110.  That leaves 80 to 90 targets to Samuel.  Biggest question mark is Shakir getting more touches.  If you take his production down the stretch I think he was already operating close to this volume.  Overall not crazy.  

I agree.  My concern is with back up plans. I think the depth is suspect.  This is why a second WR prospect, even in the 4th or 5th round, was a popular desire with many fans.  The Bills obviously disagree.  At least they are willing to take the chance that the depth they have  assembled is better than a prospect in those rounds this year.  That could work.  I do think they still would have rather had OBJ than Claypool, but if that was not to be , I like the upside of Claypool.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I see what you're saying. And Peoples-Jones/Jefferson are the safer options. But very low ceilings on both IMO.

What I find interesting about throwing their names out vs Claypool is that all 3 entered the league in the same season. 2020. Both Claypool and Peoples-Jones have played in 58 games. Jefferson is credited with 61. So a fair sample size out of each.

Of the 3, Chase Claypool has more receptions, yards, TDs and 100 yard games than the other two. And that's despite doing next to zero for the last 2 years. 

I would call him the higher ceiling option. 

I get your point. It's just that all I'm looking for are players who are reliable receivers.

I don't care about a players ceiling when we are looking at a 4th or 5th receiver option. If they can get the job done, I'm happy, because I doubt that these receivers we are signing to 1 year deals are a part of the long-term plans for the team.

Then again, I could be wrong.

• Agree 1

I like that they’re grabbing WRs that are not timing based and depend upon 17 throwing them open. More tuned to 17 style, like it or not. So, that’s good.  But without 17, this crew rots 

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Carter was an alcoholic.   Quitting the booze was the key to turning his career around,  not trying harder.   I haven't heard anything like that about Claypool.   I think apathy is his issue.

You are exactly right. If you look at Rapp's pick of Tua last year Claypool ran a slow, lazy, round at the stem out route. That's what he has been doing for years now. It's like he decided that there was no way he was going to play every down with the urgency that is required at this level of play. He totally lazed out. I'm not sure I'd want him anywhere near our young WRs/TE. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

You are exactly right. If you look at Rapp's pick of Tua last year Claypool ran a slow, lazy, round at the stem out route. That's what he has been doing for years now. It's like he decided that there was no way he was going to play every down with the urgency that is required at this level of play. He totally lazed out. I'm not sure I'd want him anywhere near our young WRs/TE. 

No help to Tua throwing into double coverage, but that’s what I’ve heard with him. If Claypool doesn’t think the ball is

coming, his effort tanks. 

My thoughts on Chase Claypool:

1. Under McD, this has been a place to come be the best version of themselves possible, and we have seen that with a lot of players where their career best years have been in Buffalo.  But those guys also weren't having to overcome bad attitude problems either.  
  2. Claypool has the physical talent to be a force on the field, but thus far, he hasn't had the attitude, mental capacity, and work ethic to really tap into his potential.  

So for me, this is a high reward low risk move by the Bills.  The attitude and personality he has had that has derailed his previous 3 teams will not fly at all in this locker room with either the coaches or the players.  This really is probably a last chance place for him before having to go to the CFL or something.  

If McD and the staff can get through to him, if he can lock on to someone here to help him be a pro, this kid could make this team and find a role.  Do I think it will happen?  Not really, those kinds of changes don't come easy or often.  This is a team looking to win, and this WR room will be tough for him to make as it is.  

But, if he can tap into his best self here, learn to play hard all the time and play the right way, this kid has the talent to have a major turn around and be a force here with Josh Allen.  But I am not gonna hold my breath either on that one, its a long shot.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/5/2024 at 4:58 PM, Mat68 said:

Idk… Wr is a 100% dependent position.  With Big Ben he was pretty solid.  The Pickett offense was bad.  The Bears passing game was a disaster.  Didnt see him as a fit for what Miami does at wr.  Played special teams and decent blocker doesn't point to a guy who doesnt like football.  He will have to humble himself to make the team.  He does that I see a path for a turn around.  Top qb, open targets, and offense suited for his play style.    

he took the job

McBeanes had a reason to offer an opportunity.

Hopin' he puuls his sht together and gets to work. There IS a real place for him as a Bill if he can recreate hisself 

I mean Claypool is a scratch off: bought cheap when the main shopping was done. Getting nothing is not the end of the world and getting anything makes it worth the investment.

For what it's worth, Arthur Moats said in his show that Claypool has at minimum the talent to be Gabe Davis. He certainly had that production in his first two years, but consistency was an issue. His bidding power has been right-sized by 1.5 years with Fields and a half season behind Tyreek Hill and Waddle in the depth chart.

The question is if he knows this is his last chance 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My thoughts on Chase Claypool:

1. Under McD, this has been a place to come be the best version of themselves possible, and we have seen that with a lot of players where their career best years have been in Buffalo.  But those guys also weren't having to overcome bad attitude problems either.  
  2. Claypool has the physical talent to be a force on the field, but thus far, he hasn't had the attitude, mental capacity, and work ethic to really tap into his potential.  

So for me, this is a high reward low risk move by the Bills.  The attitude and personality he has had that has derailed his previous 3 teams will not fly at all in this locker room with either the coaches or the players.  This really is probably a last chance place for him before having to go to the CFL or something.  

If McD and the staff can get through to him, if he can lock on to someone here to help him be a pro, this kid could make this team and find a role.  Do I think it will happen?  Not really, those kinds of changes don't come easy or often.  This is a team looking to win, and this WR room will be tough for him to make as it is.  

But, if he can tap into his best self here, learn to play hard all the time and play the right way, this kid has the talent to have a major turn around and be a force here with Josh Allen.  But I am not gonna hold my breath either on that one, its a long shot.  

You nailed his issues.

One of the "underlying" causes of those issues, is the teams inability to win games.  Both with Steelers and Bears, this had a significant impact on his attitude/approach.

With Miami, I think the biggest issue wasn't learning the playbook/he was already dialed out after all the drama with Chicago LY.

Not excuses, but getting back around a winning culture/top end QB could be enough for him to re-dedicate himself.

Agree, low risk/high reward type signing.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 2:31 PM, Putin said:

IDK about the stud LB because of his age and injury history , but our new WR is only 25 years old unlike Chicago or especially Miami is coming into a situation we’re he has a chance to win a starting # 3WR job , he  has a legitimate franchise QB and we know he’s got the talent and all the tools  , and I’m sure he knows that this could be his last opportunity so I’ll wait and see what happens ,

but you’ll can go ahead LOL 

Do you think Cook will see more targets then last year ? 

Cook will definitely see more targets this year as an extension of the running game.  When Brady was in Carolina, Mike Davis had 70 targets and RB group had 100.

My first thought on Claypool is that he has no chance of being the WR3.  However, when drafted he had very good speed.  (4.42 40 and 1.52 10).  For a man 6'4 240 that is really trucking.  Assuming he has his head on straight and will gladly assumes any role given to him, I can see him and Coleman sharing the 3/4 roles much like Emmanuel and Davis did in 2021.  That year Diggs had 164 targets, Beasley 112, Sanders 72, Knox 71, Davis 63 and Singletary 50.   This season I can see a more even distribution between Shakir, Kincaid and Samuel of 100-120 targets each, with Cook, Claypool and Coleman receiving 60 + targets each. 

It's really up to Claypool for that scenario to come to pass.  Tomlin let him go because of his inconsistency.  He has struggled to get on the field the last two years, but at 25 years old and a minimum contract, he is a risk worth taking.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1