Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

If Josh can resurrect Claypool’s career and make him a viable contributor than we might be better than the diminished receiving corps of the last few years.

He is probably the most talented WR on the roster. Which some might say is saying something, but he's probably one of the most talented WR's on several rosters. Sort of surprised we pursued him. Not exactly a process guy. We will see.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOovwqC1S9Y

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

He is probably the most talented WR on the roster. Which some might say is saying something, but he's probably one of the most talented WR's on several rosters. Sort of surprised we pursued him. Not exactly a process guy. We will see.  

Claypool is reunited with Trubisky 😂😂

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

You know… when the Bills got rid of Diggs .. I was sure that Beane had a plan to replace him with another “name” guy prior to the 2024 season 

With the draft in the rear view mirror …I’m beginning to think this might not now happen 🤔

This is his plan. 

6 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

He’s talented no doubt but he’s on the precipice of washing out of the league and wasting his talent.  4 franchises in 4 years and signing a FA minimum contract, means his value is somewhere between training camp fodder and competition for a roster spot. If he can survive the cutdown maybe Josh can bring back that flashy kid from ND.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

When did he become Uber talented?  I would think his agent would want to publicize that development

When he decided he had to book Uber rides, since few teams really wanted him.

Based upon pundits' opinions on his past work ethic, Claypool might be the only graduate from the 'Jay Cutler School of Success'.

Claypool is big, fast and very talented.  He’s also still young enough to maybe grow out of the knucklehead phase and mature a bit.  He also now has a QB and can compete for a roll here.  I like this move.  Inexpensive with potential for high yield if the kid decides to step it up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Ugh. Not a fan of the player. But maybe he's camp fodder. I think he's basically toast.

Kevin Benjamin II.

8 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Claypool is a clown. Hope he’s cut before preseason. 

That's always an odd thing to hope for to me. He's on the roster now. I would figure the "hope" is that he gets the message that he's close to washing out of the league, matures and shows out.

The obsession in this day and age to root for others to fail (especially those on a team you support) is kinda mind numbing to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

They called him Waste Claypool in Pittsburgh because that's what he is, this is just a camp body in hopes of turning into something but most likely wont make the squad. I would hope this signing wouldn't stop the Bills for going out and adding other WR's. I'd much rather have 4 games of Mike Thomas who actually tries then this dude. I think Smoot was a solid get and will make the team as a situational guy for us.

When Claypool had Ben he was good.  Chicago was a mess without Claypool.  I dont think he was a fit in Miami with the style of Wr they have.  He very well could be done.  If so he is cut.  There is a none 0 zero chance he bounces back to a productive player in Buffalo.  Stable environment, elite Qb, and an offense being constructed with a player of his skill set in mind.   Add in the targets available with Diggs and Davis gone this is a huge opportunity most likely his last. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

When Claypool had Ben he was good.  Chicago was a mess without Claypool.  I dont think he was a fit in Miami with the style of Wr they have.  He very well could be done.  If so he is cut.  There is a none 0 zero chance he bounces back to a productive player in Buffalo.  Stable environment, elite Qb, and an offense being constructed with a player of his skill set in mind.   Add in the targets available with Diggs and Davis gone this is a huge opportunity most likely his last. 

Low risk signing.  Like you said, he was good with a good QB and he joined Miami last year a month after the season started so no off-season, training camp or pre-season with them.  If he's a cancer, you cut him with no repercussions.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's always an odd thing to hope for to me. He's on the roster now. I would figure the "hope" is that he gets the message that he's close to washing out of the league, matures and shows out.

The obsession in this day and age to root for others to fail (especially those on a team you support) is kinda mind numbing to me.

I guess he's worth a lottery ticket/reclamation project. The older I get, the more I think character is destiny. Reformation does occur, but it's relatively rare.

Having strong role models can make a difference. I'm not sure whose going to show him the way, but someone needs to.

I would be less upset about Beane bringing in this caliber of player if I did not believe there is a gaping hole in the WR room where the primadonna Diggs used to reside. Cap constraints/change in offensive philosophy, however you contextualize it, one has to guess Beane did not plan on trading Diggs and taking on a huge cap hit. What he's done since is reactive, and doesn't seem like a fully thought out plan. Maybe Beane brings someone in who is a more established, higher level player post 6/1, but I'm not confident that happens.

I don't like banking on volume from any of the folks in our WR room right now, and I'm personally not comfortable with the "just spread the targets around" strategy. I still think a dominant WR makes room on the field for others, and who is going to do that with what we have now? We don't have elite route runners, and I don't see a boundary WR who can take the top off, though we have a few fast fellas. Of course, you may luck into someone playing above their past, and maybe Shakir is ascending and will take over that role, but that seems overly optimistic to me.

Just now, Doc said:

Low risk signing.  Like you said, he was good with a good QB and he joined Miami last year a month after the season started so no off-season, training camp or pre-season with them.  If he's a cancer, you cut him with no repercussions.

Correct.  Best Qb he has had a complete offseason with.  Brady is making an offense with Coleman as a primary target.  Behind Coleman, Shakir, and Samuel it is wide open.  By far the best opportunity he could have asked for.  For Buffalo if he doesn’t fit in you send him packing.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And yet, I still meant every word I wrote. Imagine that.