Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

14 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't know anything about his story but why can't he stick on a team? He went to ND and they don't make any concessions for football players, you actually have to be smart and a hard worker to go to school there. I remember him being really good as a rookie too. Where did it go wrong?

He’s a complete idiot.

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't like the player at all.  A tiger doesn't change its stripes, so I fully expect him to show his true self in camp and get kicked to the curb before final cuts.  But, we are in desperation mode at wide receiver, so this is what you get I guess.  We absolutely need one of Hamler, Claypool, Isabella, Shorter or Cephus to pan out and contribute.  I assume Hollins sticks as a special teamer and bottom of the depth chart receiver.  

I like Shakir a lot as a potential no. 2/3 and Samuel as a no. 3, and I'm hoping Coleman can slot into the Gabe Davis role, but damn, that is a really weak receiver room.  We are going to really need to utilize Kincaid, Cook and Knox in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He had 3800 (16th) yards and 33 TDs (tied for 7th) on a 12-3 team in 2020.  Why would that prompt retirement?  How is that "garbage" QB play?

Try again...

LOL, I'll try again.  First, I didn't say Big Ben's play was "garbage", so don't insinuate I did.

Ben's play was falling off his last season.  Even in 2020 when he had the 3800 yards, he threw the ball 608 times.

In 2014 Ben threw the ball 608 times too.  He had 4,952 yards.

He wasn't the same QB at the end and everyone who watched football knows that was true.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Is adding like 47 bottom-of-the-barrel WRs in free agency the same as adding one or two good ones?

Asking for a friend...

Most of the competition in my fantasy leagues think so.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Let's finish off this BIG trend the right way

DK Metcalf

Keon Coleman

Curtis Samuel

Khalil Shakir

Chase Claypool

Mack Hollis
Justin Shorter

Yup. And then run the ball 70% of the time. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Let's finish off this BIG trend the right way

DK Metcalf

Keon Coleman

Curtis Samuel

Khalil Shakir

Chase Claypool

Mack Hollis
Justin Shorter

I mean sure, adding Metcalf to this group would completely change the outlook.

I love the talented underdog approach. It’s not like we’re throwing David Nelson and Donald Jones out there. I know we all remember those days.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean sure, adding Metcalf to this group would completely change the outlook.

I love the talented underdog approach. It’s not like we’re throwing David Nelson and Donald Jones out there. I know we all remember those days.

Yea. I'd rather take a chance on Claypool than bring Zay Jones back in.    I'm stunned Claypool is only 25 would have guessed much older

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't really matter who we ever bring onto this team..........the fans are going to hate every signing, every prospect, everything........no player is ever good enough for you guys.

I only want receivers who are fast and named Xavier.

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

My initial reaction to the Claypool signing was not good.  The guy is the opposite of a "process" guy and his career has flamed out.

After reading some of the comments here, I have a new perspective.  What do they have to lose?  The guy is only 25, he has talent, speed, and size.  He doesn't cost much, and his career is on the line.  He'll be playing with the best QB and in the best offense of his NFL career.  Maybe he turns it around.  If so, he's a steal.  If he doesn't, he is cut and the Bills move on.  I've got to think that the Bills culture is strong enough that if they guy is a problem, they'll dump him like a hot potato.  If they're willing part ways with Diggs after all of the production he's had with the team, they'll have no qualms about getting rid of a guy like this, if he's a negative influence.  I guess you could say the same about Cephys, although he has a much lower ceiling than Claypool.

Smoot and Jones look like decent depth signings, Smoot in particular.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ElMarko said:

But he’s fast. That’s all anyone seems to care about anymore…

Claypool clocked in with a 4.42 40-yard dash time after measuring in at 6-foot-4 and 238 pounds the day before. According to the NFL, only two players at the combine have ever eclipsed a 4.45 40-yard dash time while measuring in at least 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds. Claypool is one. Calvin Johnson is the other.

Care about what? He’s big too.

• Like (+1) 1