Jacksonville releases Zay Jones. Homecoming?

7 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

To be fair, the Bills were losing so much back then that they ruined my love for the game too.

He left while under McDermott (2019) and went to the Raiders. Not a lot of winning there either. Seems like he would hard pass on the Bills.

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Nothing happens until June 1.

Tomorrow at 4 pm is the deadline for FA signings to count in the 2025 comp pick formula, so nobody significant being signed before 4 pm tomorrow.  If there's a guy out there Beane wants to sign, he can make some cap moves and do it, though.

As far as Zay Jones, though, Zay Jones had a $10.7 cap hit this season, of which $7.5 M was new money (salary and workout bonus).  That slots him in at Mike Williams/Adam Thielen/TiktokBoi range.  Williams has been a consistant 70-ish YPG guy his last 3 years.  Thielen, fell off a little in 2022 Minny but other than that, very consistant 55-60+ YPG guy since 2016 (3rd year).

Jones has hit 50+ ypg once in his career, 2022, behind Christian Kirk.  

He's gonna want to wait a minute and see if someone else will pay him the way Jax did, or close, and I don't think he's got that ROI for that.

As far as the Bills, :thumbdown: to that.  We're better off hoping for another 40 ypg season from Mack Hollins like he had with an OK QB, Carr, throwing to him in Vegas (but behind Devante Adams).  Hollins seems to be a unique (and entertaining) guy with a great work ethic, which I think is more than you can count on Zay Jones to be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

I will say, I feel like he has been better the last few years than he was with us. I had an opponent in fantasy that killed me 2 years ago with Zay Jones in a game. He caught 3 TDs and had like 45 points lol

36 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Zay had some strong games for the Jags. He turned into a far more reliable receiver than I expected. I am surprised to see them release a guy who was their wr2 or 3 for much of the past 3 seasons.

The got Gabe and then drafted Brian Thomas. Zay was expendable after that

41 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Yes, he would be the 2nd best WR on the roster. 

Really? I prefer Shakir and Samuel over him. And Coleman needs to come in and develop and get playing time, and I would think he would show he is better too.

• Like (+1) 2

Samuel, Coleman, Shakir and you guessed it: Mack Hollins.

With Josh throwing to him his NFL YPG average of 42ypg last season should go up to roughly 55. That's good for a #4/#4 WR.

Let Samuel, Coleman and Shakir do the heavy lifting, Hollins blocking and catching 45-55 yds, Cook and Kincaid and Knox.

Ty Johnson... we have too many weapons. Oh nooooo. Now what?

We r fine boys...

Zay was pretty solid for the Jags.  Not worthy of his outrageous contract, but still solid.  2022 was a better year statistically than any year Samuel has had.  2023 he was on par for a repeat of 2022 until he was injured.  82/823 10 yards per w/ 5TD sounds great to me.  

12 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Uh no, no he wouldn't

Thanks Captain Insight.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan

I remember when he was working out a lot and we thought him and Foster were going to be even better in year 2 with Josh with the additions of Beasley and Smoke. Don't think they made it through the year. Interesting enough Lil Dirty out lasted all 4 of them.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Make fun of him all you want but his 2022 season is better than any Bills WR currently on roster.  I don’t think his skill set is what we need to fill out out WR room though.  We need an OBJ, MVS, or Chark deep threat type.  

5 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Zay was pretty solid for the Jags.  Not worthy of his outrageous contract, but still solid.  2022 was a better year statistically than any year than Samuel had.  2023 he was on par for a repeat of 2022 until he was injured.  

Thanks Captain Insight.  

Solid, but a lot of drops.  I think Beane is over that. He moved on from Diggs and Davis who both had drop issues last year, and brought in Coleman who has excellent hands.

• Like (+1) 1