Esiason, Simms out at CBS Sports

dpberr

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Interesting.  The Fox NFL Sunday is still rolling deep with Terry and Jimmy despite both being terrible.  

Yeah, i never understood that......they are beyond terrible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Probably a tie-in to the fox news crowd?  I dunno.  Terry's old annoying and i can't even understand him half the time, and Jimmy is just old and out of it (he's 80).  

Terry is a clown  

• Like (+1) 2

Half the time Simms and Esiason just took shots at each other. Now they can go argue in Hardee's every Friday morning for breakfast if they want to continue the tradition. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

With all of this turnover we see with sportscasters, I wonder how much of it is based off audience viewership feedback vs wanting to bring someone in at a lesser salary?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

With all of this turnover we see with sportscasters, I wonder how much of it is based off audience viewership feedback vs wanting to bring someone in at a lesser salary?  

I'm sure there's plenty of that, plus just rolling through the list of retired NFL players to see if they can find anyone who catches on and that they can market.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Probably some of that and probably some of it wanting to get younger with more knowledge of today's game. It's probably all encompassing. Recognizable faces too. Those that are 18-25 don't know who Phil, Boomer, Terry, etc are (and if they do, they can't relate to them). 

• Agree 1

Long overdue.  Simms has been unwatchable for years. He really struggles with basic sentence structure. Esiason was fine. New faces may be good. 

Honestly rarely watch anything but the actual game. But every once in a while I tune in early or the post game show is still on in the background. 

I am pretty sure I've never heard Matt Ryan speak. If you played just his voice I would not be able to pick him out. I have no idea how he will do.

Never a big fan of his. Choked alot in the playoffs even though the SuperBowl loss was more on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think it might be more the fact that they were 1980s QBs and it's time to transition to more recent ones. Simms is 68 and Esiason is 63. 

The Fox team is bad but their schtick is a bit more backslap-y and less analytical, which is why it continues to roll. Jimmy and Terry are also more akin to football folk heroes in a way that Boomer and Simms clearly aren't. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Yeah, i never understood that......they are beyond terrible.

I think they must appeal to a certain demographic, by which I mean the guys who grew up watching Bradshaw as a QB and admiring Jimmy Johnson as a coach.

Fox wants to stick with that demographic, while CBS wants to update from Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Surprised they didn't bring in Jason Kelce yet on the Fox side. Terry and Jimmy are both unwatchable and have been for years.

Terry is there solely for comic relief.

Jimmy is just collecting a paycheck so he can keep fishing. 

Howie and Stahan do all the commentary work.