Rd 5, Pick 168: Edge Javon Solomon, Troy

Anonymous coach quote from The Athletic:

DL Coach 1: “I think he’s gonna surprise everybody. He is the sleeper guy. He’s had 32 career sacks. Nobody in the draft has production like this kid. The problem is he’s 6-foot, 246. My comp is the (Bryce) Huff guy who just got paid by the Eagles. Started off on special. Got him as a DPR (designated pass rusher). This guy might be a demon coming off that edge. He can bend and turn that toe. Somebody is gonna take a flier on that kid and he’s gonna be a DPR and will kill on special teams.”

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Given the work they did on him this is not a surprise pick. I am surprised he didn’t go earlier to be honest. Can’t hate on that at all. I saw him as a late 4th/early 5th

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

What I think is funny is, the are 32 GMs. A lot of teams are still making trades and moving up the board so obviously, they think there are good enough players there but Beane looks at them and just says "no, I'm good". You can have my pick". So, what is Beane seeing that these other teams aren't?

So if other teams are also moving up, that means others are also moving down. So Beane is doing the same as others

The only stupid thing around here are all the arm chair GMs who think they are smarter than people who do this for a living 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Da webster guy said:

He sees the same thing as the other 28 guys that passed on Xavier Worthy because gadget track guys are out of the league in four years.  

Why are you bringing up worthy? The chiefs live rent free in your head don’t they 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

I would think they'd add another end to camp. Hopefully this kid is plug and play in which case we have four assuming Von can do anything.

It's looking more and more like our post June 1st moves will need to include a vet wr though.

Post June 1st once Tre’s money hits they will have some options via free agency at WR and DE. At WR OBJ and Tyler Boyd are out on the market. At DE Yannick and Ogbah are available as are old Bills favorites Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson.

I am not sure how they play it but if the Bills want more talent free agents are out there

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Super undersized for an edge rusher. 

But apparently very long arms.  🤷‍♂️

The numbers and the tape look great. Let’s see how it translates. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if other teams are also moving up, that means others are also moving down. So Beane is doing the same as others

The only stupid thing around here are all the arm chair GMs who think they are smarter than people who do this for a living 

Yeah, but all Beane has done is trade down. All these other GMs are going up to get players they think are worth it but obviously Beane sees something else that he's cool letting them take their pick from them. I just think it's weird. He could be a lot smarter than these other GMs. I'm not pretending to know more than Beane as an "armchair GM". I just found it interesting 

12 minutes ago, Maynard said:

This was one I for sure saw coming! I love this pick. 

I had to reread that. I thought you said "I love this prick" lol

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, but all Beane has done is trade down. All these other GMs are going up to get players they think are worth it but obviously Beane sees something else that he's cool letting them take their pick from them. I just think it's weird. He could be a lot smarter than these other GMs. I'm not pretending to know more than Beane as an "armchair GM". I just found it interesting 

I just think Beane thinks this draft was weak overall and top heavy.  The fact that Beane didn’t have more than 20 or so guys graded first round talent says something.  

We also drafted heavily thisnyear based on need, production and motor as well as character.  There’s a reason for that, which is that we are pretty cap-poor this season and need to fill some big holes with younger, cheaper talent asap.  It’s a smart move if you don’t  this draft has all the blockbuster guys you’re looking for.  Trade down and grab more picks abs fill the roster with competition.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

I get that complaining about draft is an annual rite of passage, but I swear, if Buffalo got Aiyuk or Higgins for a 6th or 7th rounder, some people here would be fuming because we didn't use that pick to draft a replacement kicker for Tyler Bass

The only thing surer is that some randoms will whine incessantly about posters being unsatisfied with draft selections.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

• section122 changed the title to Round 5, Pick 168: Javon Solomon Edge Troy
8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Post June 1st once Tre’s money hits they will have some options via free agency at WR and DE. At WR OBJ and Tyler Boyd are out on the market. At DE Yannick and Ogbah are available as are old Bills favorites Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson.

I am not sure how they play it but if the Bills want more talent free agents are out there

You really have to hand it to Beane. I'm still a little choked about the Coleman pick but he's pulled a rabbit out of his hat with where the roster/cap was two months ago vs. now. Somehow we went from no options to being able to be a little selective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, boyst said:

Stupid as hell. This roster won't have 5th and 6th rounders on it.

Inb4 _______ was a 6th rounder.

47 minutes ago, wppete said:

Beane is ridiculous.

46 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ve got news for you Beane. If there aren’t any guys worth drafting now in rd 5, there isn’t going to be anymore that are worth it in the 6th. Get picks next year or just take someone at this point. 

You guys are insufferable. We get it. You hate everything. Get a life.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5