Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

1 hour ago, Success said:

So, we have the usual "I've watched 10 minutes of youtube on this guy!  He'll be a bust" stuff.

Fans are SO predictable on draft day.  None of you know anything - sorry.

None of you with rose colored glasses on don't know anything either. His best asset is he can catch. Big deal. He can't separate and lacks speed. 

• Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Ahh, read what I wrote.  Hes' not super athletic.  I dont know what his RAS score is, but I'm sure its <9.  But his film is better than his RAS score might suggest.

As a bunch of others have written, I'm not sure he will get the separation that Josh will trust.  time will tell.

His RAS was 9.12

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Ok. I’m not disagreeing with your arguments. I’m also not debating that either of those 2 will be better than Coleman. But I have said multiple times, situation means more than most factors in how good someone becomes. Coleman has Allen, one of the best players in the game throwing to him. The shrimp in Carolina won’t even be in the league in 2 more years. And Lawrence isn’t on Allen’s level. But sure, I’ll go toe to toe with ya. I think Coleman sucks and I’m betting he won’t be nearly as good as Thomas and I’d be shocked he’s as good as Legette. 

I wanted Thomas too, and I am not saying he is going to be a bust.  But Thomas also hasn't proven he can be anything more than a go route guy yet, although I very much felt he was the 4th best WR in the draft.  

This was a great WR draft, lots of guys have a lot of potential.  But I am telling you right now, Coleman is more ready to come in and be a WR1 than both Thomas and Legette are.  And I am confident Coleman will have the best season by most measurements than both of those guys.  If Thomas and Legette hit their potential, they could be great no doubt as well.  

But Legette went to the worst place possible for him IMHO and I don't think Thomas landed in a great spot for him either because with the WR makeup, they will probably primarily use him as a deep ball guy and not sure he develops there like he could have someone where else.  

Its also telling that people who know football...know WR's...just love Coleman.  So I think people condemning his future right now over a 40 time while ignoring his fastest time in the gauntlet which is a better indicator of in game speed are making a mistake.  

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Has the skills.  May not be the most hyped guy coming into the draft.

Josh Allen is his QB.  Expect good things.

Yep.  I think the most interesting thing this year isn't who we did, or didn't, draft at wideout.   It's what Brady does with the offense.  Belichick said yesterday that Josh Allen is "pretty special."  I want to see if Brady can build a good offensive scheme around his special QB.  If Brady schemes right, Coleman and the other WRs will be productive.  

Steve Largent was slow.  He didn't run at the combine (it didn't exist yet) but reports said his 40 time was somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9.    Even though he was productive at Tulsa, Largent wasn't drafted till the fourth round by the Oilers due to his slow feet.  The Oilers evaluated him during the preseason, decided he was indeed too sluggish for the NFL, and traded him to the Seahawks for an 8th round pick.  When he retired, Largent owned all the important career receiving records: most receptions, yards, and TDs.  His bust resides in Canton.  Speed isn't everything.  

Beane says Coleman is a 4.5 kind of guy.  These receivers all ran 4.5 or slower:  Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Dez Bryant, Jarvis Landry, Tyler Boyd...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

None of you with rose colored glasses on don't know anything either. His best asset is he can catch. Big deal. He can't separate and lacks speed. 

The difference is - I admit I don't know anything.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Nice cherry picking over multiple years. Point out BB and his wins along with misses. It is a weak hindsight perspective. If you give balance it makes the criticism you give very fair. Otherwise it’s just not valid. 

At that point in time  it wasn’t hindsight though was it. I guess my point is that you are correct that even the great ones get it wrong.  Sometimes being so close to it can sometimes cloud judgement. And because of that people shouldn’t be so dismissive of individuals on this board. There are a lot of people on here who really know their stuff.  This is not an endorsement of myself either. I’m truly amazed at how some people know and understand the x and o of the game. I learn new things every time I am on here. And I have been watching for almost 50 years. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

He also ran the fastest gauntlet and only dropped 2 passes in 2023. 

Yeah, I was watching the gauntlet vs. his 40 yd dash, and what a difference.  He looked much faster.

23 minutes ago, vincec said:

This went through my mind as well- if this is the type of player they are looking for, then why didn’t the just keep Davis? Yes, Coleman is cheaper but he will also take a couple of years to develop.

Sooner or later they're going to have to learn that Top 100 picks should have an immediate impact and not take years to develop. Right?

45 minutes ago, Bills aPHILLYate said:

The expectation and direct comparisons shouldn't be based on  emotion and attachment to your personal attachment to a player you wanted. 

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. This is my sentiment to all the detractors and downers.

I personally wanted AD but I'm not devaluing the pick because of the name.

There are plenty of traits to justify the selection.

He’s a better pick vs AD who spells trouble with a cap T.  I still think we could have worked a deal here, dropped a tad and still got him.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1