Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He can do everything - except get open.  
He is Gabe Davis with better hands and worse speed.  Hopefully, he can really learn to run routes to get open.

The big concern I have is the league is going speed, speed, speed and Bills grabbed basically a 3rd TE.  He is a very dominant blocker, though!

What do you think about Cooper Kupp?  He ran a slower 40 time.  

Have you actually studied this guy or are you just freaking about a 40 time that is a small part of what makes in game on field speed?

• Agree 1

Love this pick and I called it for weeks.I went to three F.S.U games this season and Keon played like a man amoungst boys…Keon is gonna thrive in Buffalo and on his pre draft visit to Buffalo he stated he wanted to be a Bill!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

I’m always amused how convinced people are of their skills in evaluating talent. Puka Nacua ran a 4.57 and was a 5th rounder last year… and caught 100+ balls for nearly 1500 yards.  It’s an inexact science at best. 

Tee Higgins also ran a 4.59 at the combine. He’s a freak. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

10 yard split (short area burst)

Ladd McConkey - 1.52

AD Mitchell - 1.52

Rome Odunze - 1.52

Jalen McMillan  - 1.53

KEON COLEMAN - 1.54

Xavier Legette - 1.54 (4.39(

Tez Walker - 1.54 (4.36)

Rickey Pearsall - 1.57 (4.41)

Troy Franklin - 1.61 (4.41)

Stop with the facts !!! He runs a slow 40 and therefore is a bust before he steps on the field!!! 😂 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have you actually studied this guy or are you just freaking about a 40 time that is a small part of what makes in game on field speed?

Kupp was a superior route runner 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes I have watched all the games I could find.  Cooper Kupp is a route runner.  Coleman is not - but he is young and maybe he can learn.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I predict this thread is a gonna be fun read 3 years from now like the "wrong Josh" thread.  

Yeah I know right. All of these “stupid” people on here who wanted:

dk metcalf>cody ford

creed Humphrey >boogie basham 

brian orkapo >aaron maybin 

holoti ngata> Donte whitner 

And then my favorite the trade up for Sammy Watkins when some of us thought it was for  Khalil Mack from ub. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Coleman is a football player.  Bills fans will realize this kid can ball soon enough.  If you think you know Coleman because of his 40 time then you don't know anything about him.  

Sounds a little like Josh Allen talking about his 4.76 - 40 time.  He said something about "I run faster when there are guys trying to catch up and hit me"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From Dane Brugler...

STRENGTHS: Physically impressive athlete … outstanding body control, hip flexibility and leaping skills to sky the ball and make plays above the rim … didn’t record
first drop of 2023 until the ACC title game (had an outstanding gauntlet drill at the NFL combine) … routinely makes 50/50 grabs, and his highlight reel includes
several one-handed catches … maintains his focus to track/finish while wearing defenders like a backpack … consistently draws pass interference calls, especially in
the red zone … *****-and-go receiver with the limber frame that allows for half of his body to make the catch while the other half gets a head start working upfield
… quick at the line and at the top of his route … improved nuance as a route runner, introducing head bobs or jab steps to get corners leaning at the break point …
knows how to use his body to shield defenders on slants … able to physically dominate as a blocker and will take cornerbacks completely out of plays … wasn’t
expected to return punts at Florida State, but he filled the need and was productive (joined Peter Warrick as the only FSU players with 100-plus receiving yards and
100-plus punt return yards in the same game) … averaged 12.0 yards per punt return in 2023 (25/300/0) … “loves to work,” accordin g to head coach Mike Norvell
(NFL scout: “His drive since he was a kid was to max out his ability and cash in for his family. … That singular focus and talent? Yeah, I’ll bet on that.”) … teammates
speak highly of the way he carries himself (Trey Benson: “He has so much energy. … I’ve never seen him down.”) … led team in receiving at two different schools.
WEAKNESSES: Not a burner, and his speed is mediocre by NFL standards … can be more efficient beating the jam and stacking corners … routes require additional
polish and deception … doesn’t consistently separate on film, leading to a high-trafficked catch points (his 30 contested targets ranked second most in the FBS in
2023) … guilty of extending both hands and pushing off defenders downfield (flagged twice for offensive pass interference in 2023) … played through a partial muscle
tear in his hip/groin area throughout the 2022 season at Michigan State (an injury contributed to his decision to give up basketball); missed one game as a junior and
parts of several others because of nagging injuries (November 2023).
SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Florida State, Coleman lined up inside and outside (motion-heavy) in head coach Mike Norvell’s up-tempo scheme. After putting
himself on the NFL radar as a two-sport athlete at Michigan State, he transferred to Tallahassee in 2023 and led the Seminoles in receiving — and the nation in
acrobatic “He did what?!” catches. Thanks to his basketball background, Coleman “big brothers” cornerbacks up and down the fi eld using size, strength and
athleticism. But what really separates him as a pass catcher is his dominance with the ball in the air. Not only can he overpower defenders at the catch point, but he
also makes leaping acrobatic stabs appear routine with his natural body control and extraordinary catch radius. Overall, Coleman must develop more nuance to his
route running, but his big-man twitch, physicality and ball-winning adjustment skills allow him to be a difference maker. With continued refinement, he has the
talent to be an NFL starter (similar in ways to Courtland Sutton).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Chris Kelsay had a work ethic. It doesn't always translate to production. We had a shot at Thomas & Leggette and we passed for a hard working 4.61 guy.  Good luck getting separation against NFL dbs.  Keep picking choir boys sean.

Curious...what are you going to say when Coleman puts up more yards, TD's and catches than both Thomas and Legette this season?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1