What are your thoughts on the Steelers QB situation?

I actually like Fields. He's entertaining to watch. He's fantastic for fantasy football. However, real world football...he just doesn't have what it takes to win at the NFL level IMO. Wilson is what he is at this point in his career. I'd compare him to a glorified Tyrod Taylor. He'll be safe with the ball, he's going to make a play here and there but he's not carrying the team to a win. 

However with their defense and running game they can still make some noise and hopefully take a few games away from Cincinnati, Cleveland and Baltimore. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Russ actually had a decent year last year. He was once great and still may go to the HOF. Ironically, if they run the ball, he’s probably already in the HOF. He may have a year or 2 left.

I like Fields a lot. He has elite traits. It hasn’t fully translated but there have been glimpses. If it ever does fully translate, they found their QB for basically nothing. In a world where teams trade 3 1sts for Trey Lance or Bryce Young, Fields for the cost of CJ Ah You is a steal.

I LOVE the idea of buying talented young QBs who didn’t work out in their first stop. They’re dirt cheap. It’s like someone hands you a power ball ticket but the odds of you winning are like 1 out of 10.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Russ actually had a decent year last year. He was once great and still may go to the HOF. Ironically, if they run the ball, he’s probably already in the HOF. He may have a year or 2 left.

I like Fields a lot. He has elite traits. It hasn’t fully translated but there have been glimpses. If it ever does fully translate, they found their QB for basically nothing. In a world where teams trade 3 1sts for Trey Lance or Bryce Young, Fields for the cost of CJ Ah You is a steal.

I LOVE the idea of buying talented young QBs who didn’t work out in their first stop. They’re dirt cheap. It’s like someone hands you a power ball ticket but the odds of you winning are like 1 out of 10.

I think what we have seen with Fields is what we would have seen from Lamar Jackson had the Ravens not brought in Greg Roman and designed an offense around his strengths. The Bears more or less plunked Fields in their offense and even made waves saying they wanted him to play more from the pocket. That's insane with a guy that has Fields skillset.

The 2 biggest problems I have with Fields game is that he fumbles way too much and that he still looks like the same passer he was coming out of college. He hasn't really developed yet as a passer. Now, if that's on him or coaching failing to get him to the next steps...I have no idea. But I have suspicion the staff in Chicago was ill equipped to elevate his game. Can Arthur Smith be the one to get the most out of him as a passer? He did have Ryan Tannehill looking serviceable for some time in Tennessee. 

• Like (+1) 3

Steelers now have the best back-up QB in the league.   When the first QB gets hurt in the league next year, the Steelers may have the chance to trade one of these guys for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  

If this scenario plays out, they can turn a cheap free-agent signing into draft capital to support a re-build.  Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya agreed. They definitely upgraded after realizing their 1st rder isn't the one

Come on Jersey.  Have you watched either guy play the past couple seasons?   Fields will get swallowed up by the AFC North.  And Wilson has fallen off a cliff the past few years.  If say Washington or the Giants had made these moves everyone would be saying they are a 5 win team at best.  Because it’s Pittsburgh, and King Tomlin it has to be the bomb.  Everyone seems to revere Tomlin.  But McDermott gets all sorts of flack on here, when he has been a much better coach of a much better team over the past 7 years.  

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Come on Jersey.  Have you watched either guy play the past couple seasons?   Fields will get swallowed up by the AFC North.  And Wilson has fallen off a cliff the past few years.  If say Washington or the Giants had made these moves everyone would be saying they are a 5 win team at best.  Because it’s Pittsburgh, and King Tomlin it has to be the bomb.  Everyone seems to revere Tomlin.  But McDermott gets all sorts of flack on here, when he has been a much better coach of a much better team over the past 7 years.  

oh, Tomlin gets flack in Pgh as he should. those zone D’a against Brady with the “killer B’s” offense were inexcusable. 

I'm convinced Wilson is a locker room cancer. 

I liked Fields coming out of college and I think the Bears should have kept him, traded down, and taken Harrison.

Fields in Pittsburgh is a good place to land. 

Both Wilson and Fields are better than any QB on the Pittsburgh roster last year and they still made the playoffs.  They should still be competitive in the AFC North with either of them starting. 

• Agree 1

When I watch Fields, I see an athlete but I don't see an NFL-caliber starting QB let alone a franchise pick. 

We all know the weirdness Russ Wilson brings. An absolute dumpster fire in Denver - they couldn't wait to offload him. He needs a coach to build a system around him, he's not a leader of men, and he's pushing 36 years old. Why would the Steelers even build an offense around a clear stop-gap? 

The Steelers IMO went backwards with their offense by unloading Mason Rudolph. They should have kept him and drafted a QB high and rolled the dice. 

I can see grabbing one of these guys but BOTH? Boggles my mind.