Does Josh Allen still work as hard in the offseason?

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

To be fair, a lot of media pundits were "all over" talking to Josh during and after his "sea change" in completion % from 59% in 2019 to 69% in 2020.  That kind of improvement was regarded as pretty much unprecedented, and coupled with a passing yards jump from 3089 to 4544, both Josh Allen and Jordan Palmer were highly in demand to talk about "what happened?" "howdja duit?"

I think Allen recognized he had a media obligation and obliged, but while he's backslid some from the completion %, the overall improvement has remained, so it's really no longer a story.  It's clear it wasn't a flash in the pan, and now several other QBs have made similar improvements (and several have not).

I could be wrong, but I also think that at heart, Josh is really a private person and would just as soon have the media butt out and stay out of his off season.  I think (and I have no substantiation about this) he's had some tension with Jordan Palmer, partly because Jordan was speaking about (and sometimes for) Josh, A Lot, on his media circuit (including in at least one instance on their QB podcast something Josh clearly wasn't down to talk about because it didn't sound great).  It wouldn't surprise me if Josh went looking for another QB guru who was willing to work with him quietly and not use him as a free ride to promote himself and his biz.

Now whether that's true, and whether whoever he's found is as good, better, not as good, same as Palmer - can't tell you.

I find it really hard to believe that thing about tension between Josh and Palmer, really hard.

Why? Because any tension about it could have been shut down. In literally three seconds. Literally.

Josh:  "Jordan, I'd rather you didn't talk about me."

That's it. Done. That's what it would have taken. 

And yeah, Josh has always been a private person in his private life. He never talked much about his previous girlfriend, etc. It's no surprise he isn't talking about Hailee either. No surprise, and totally reasonable. But he's never been private about his football prep. He's never even appeared that way. No way to prove it either way, of course, but I just don't believe that, I don't. 

And while I do think there may have been some pressure to do media early, after his third year, he can't have felt any more pressure. He was obviously top five in his third year. But the next offseason or two he still talked a lot about his prep. I'm just not buying this, Beck.

You're an excellent poster, but I have to disagree here.

I would dearly dearly love to be wrong about this. I so hope that I am. In early years, he would have come out at some point and said something like, "well, I clearly had some problems with the long ball, particularly on go routes this year. I need to do some work this offseason in correcting my fundamentals and in figuring out how to do this in a way that Stefon, the guys and I can have a better shot at completing a few more of these. I'm working on it with ***." Hopefully we hear something like this at some point this offseason. 

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, without a drought said:

This is why the Bills didn't want to do a bigger restructure on his contract and push more money down the road.

Uh, no. The restructure they did opened up cap space both this year and 2025, and specifically was done in a way that increased Allen's salary.

https://overthecap.com/inside-josh-allens-restructured-contract-with-the-bills

It was reported earlier this week that the salary cap starved Bills had restructured Josh Allen’s contract for salary cap relief but per a league source, the restructure went a bit further than originally reported and may set the stage for Allen bringing his contract a little more in line with the market as salaries continue to explode across the league.

Prior to the restructure Josh Allen was going to count for $47,056,281 against the salary cap in 2024 and $56,556,281 in 2025. Allen’s salary in 2024 was $30 million which was middle of the league for veteran quarterbacks. The restructured contract saw Allen receive a raise for 2024 by borrowing salary from 2025 and 2028 and in the process knocked down the salary cap numbers for both 2024 and 2025.

Allen’s 2024 compensation rose to $60 million which would have been second in the NFL prior to free agency (it is now third following Kirk Cousins mega contract with the Falcons). This is about $5 million more than Patrick Mahomes earned last season when the Chiefs moved money around in his contract.

The restructure knocked Allen’s 2024 cap number down to $30,356,281 and his 2025 salary cap number down to $43,231,281. That represents savings of $16.7 million in 2024 cap room and $13.325 million in 2025 cap space. His 2026 and 2027 cap numbers increased by $11.675 million in each year.

I would guess we end up extending him in the 2026 offseason, or 2027 at the latest. We'll keep kicking his salary cap hits down the road until he retires and then take our medicine for 1-2 seasons.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My favorite basketball player is Allen Iverson. “We talkin bout practice.” So that should tell you this doesn’t affect how I feel about Allen.

It seems to strike a nerve with a lot of people though. Allen is the one that said all this stuff. He believes less is more is good for him,  it’s not for everyone. It’s just a fact that he doesn’t work at his craft as much as others. It’s not what he’s always done, only the last couple years it’s what he believes is best for him as an established elite QB. Take it however you want. If that bothers you then it’s Josh Allen you have a problem with.

No nerve.  I understand his routine and its not much different than other elite Qbs. 

50 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I find it really hard to believe that thing about tension between Josh and Palmer, really hard.

Why? Because any tension about it could have been shut down. In literally three seconds. Literally.

Josh:  "Jordan, I'd rather you didn't talk about me."

That's it. Done. That's what it would have taken. 

And yeah, Josh has always been a private person in his private life. He never talked much about his previous girlfriend, etc. It's no surprise he isn't talking about Hailee either. No surprise, and totally reasonable. But he's never been private about his football prep. He's never even appeared that way. No way to prove it either way, of course, but I just don't believe that, I don't. 

And while I do think there may have been some pressure to do media early, after his third year, he can't have felt any more pressure. He was obviously top five in his third year. But the next offseason or two he still talked a lot about his prep. I'm just not buying this, Beck.

You're an excellent poster, but I have to disagree here.

I would dearly dearly love to be wrong about this. I so hope that I am. In early years, he would have come out at some point and said something like, "well, I clearly had some problems with the long ball, particularly on go routes this year. I need to do some work this offseason in correcting my fundamentals and in figuring out how to do this in a way that Stefon, the guys and I can have a better shot at completing a few more of these. I'm working on it with ***." Hopefully we hear something like this at some point this offseason. 

He said his main focus is ball placement and hitting his guys on the run to get more yac.  That is what he said the last 2 years.  The deep ball is what it is.  A low percentage play.  This year I dont remember 1 wr making a contested catch down field. The dbs made more plays on the ball than the wrs this year.  Years past Diggs was 70/30 80/20.  This past year it was 10/90.  Concentrate on the short and intermediate it is 90% of the plays.  The most accurate deep balls can be drops and the miss timed bad balls can be catches or penalties. 

Josh probably just needs some better PR around him, you know Patty's wife alone obsesses over his public image. He's been packaged as perfect QB guy for years. Of course he's posting Instagram's of "always grinding" or whatever, that's 1000% his brand. 

Now on the other hand, when Josh split his pants in Paris which was probably absolutely nothing but unfortunate and funny, immediately like half a dozen on here started claiming it's because he's overweight lol. None of you have absolutely any idea. But it's carefully controlled image of hard working family man Pat vs. goofy just having a blast Josh. I don't think it has anything to do with how actually prepared they are and I don't think it means Pat is strictly business 100% of the time (look at his bro and dad for instance) - one just knows brand creation and image protection far better than the other. Pat's a better professional, not necessarily a better QB, and a lot of the former comes with help.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:11 PM, Mat68 said:

The end of the last 2 seasons he is at the presser with blood stains on both arms and some are questioning his dedication? 

Right! This thread is a joke. None of us know how hard he does or doesn’t work. Based on his performance, leadership, and toughness it appears he works very hard.
And off season is just that-off season. Name a QB who gives more of his heart, soul, and body than Josh? You just don’t see him posting “work outs” all over social media. He needs more rest and to do other things in part of the offseason so that he’s sharp from preseason on. Both physically and mentally. I’m 💯 certain he works out plenty and that he also travels around and has some fun. Suggesting he can’t do both is ridiculous! 

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 3/21/2024 at 7:06 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ask yourself what McDermott does to be a better HC? He is the sole reason Allen is not a SuperBowl champion. 

Allen is the only reason the Bills are competitive. 

Replace McDermott with any HC and this team still wins the division. 

Who you gonna call?

200.gif?cid=60e32e67sg1hutp24cgnqia6h7dp

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Who you gonna call?

200.gif?cid=60e32e67sg1hutp24cgnqia6h7dp

Lol...good gif.

And yet it still proves my point. Pair this moron with a HOF QB and he looks competent. Nough so to fool two organizations into hiring him as HC. Without one you realize he is a moron.

Even this idiot wins 10 games and the division with Allen as his QB.

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Uh, no. The restructure they did opened up cap space both this year and 2025, and specifically was done in a way that increased Allen's salary.

So you're saying it's not related to his laziness. 

I'll try be and be more serious from now on. 

Watch the "Quarterback" documentary on Netflix, and you will see that every NFL player has different levels of dedication.

For example, Kirk Cousins clearly puts in the time studying game film and practicing with teammates.  But he also sets aside a private day for family and refuses to do anything football related during that time.  He is also very active doing community service, and spends time with a therapist to keep his mind focused.  Absolutely nothing wrong with any of that.  And when his career is over, he will probably end up a happier person because of his dedication to an off-field life.

Meanwhile, Patrick Mahomes is on another level completely.  Even with a toddler and newborn baby, you can tell his life totally revolves around football.  Every moment of his week is working on getting better, whether studying plays or working with a personal trainer.  There is a reason he's clearly the standard in the NFL and why everyone else is chasing his tail.

If Josh Allen works that hard during the week or in the offseason, it's not apparent to the fans.  He talks about using that time to rest/recover/relax.  He likes playing golf a lot, and most of the time he's seen it's with his girlfriend and hanging out with celebrities.  This doesn't mean he's lazy or doesn't work hard.  But it's also fair to question if he's putting in the same kind of effort Mahomes is, and it's fair to question of that plays at least some role in us falling continually falling short of the Chiefs.

As fans though, it's not fair to EXPECT every player to be ALL FOOTBALL ALL THE TIME.  They do deserve a personal life.  

In 10-15 years, they will be retired and fans will have moved-on to someone else.  That's when some will wish they put more time into their marriages and their kids, instead of grinding every second for a sports trophy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Watch the "Quarterback" documentary on Netflix, and you will see that every NFL player has different levels of dedication.

For example, Kirk Cousins clearly puts in the time studying game film and practicing with teammates.  But he also sets aside a private day for family and refuses to do anything football related during that time.  He is also very active doing community service, and spends time with a therapist to keep his mind focused.  Absolutely nothing wrong with any of that.  And when his career is over, he will probably end up a happier person because of his dedication to an off-field life.

Meanwhile, Patrick Mahomes is on another level completely.  Even with a toddler and newborn baby, you can tell his life totally revolves around football.  Every moment of his week is working on getting better, whether studying plays or working with a personal trainer.  There is a reason he's clearly the standard in the NFL and why everyone else is chasing his tail.

If Josh Allen works that hard during the week or in the offseason, it's not apparent to the fans.  He talks about using that time to rest/recover/relax.  He likes playing golf a lot, and most of the time he's seen it's with his girlfriend and hanging out with celebrities.  This doesn't mean he's lazy or doesn't work hard.  But it's also fair to question if he's putting in the same kind of effort Mahomes is, and it's fair to question of that plays at least some role in us falling continually falling short of the Chiefs.

As fans though, it's not fair to EXPECT every player to be ALL FOOTBALL ALL THE TIME.  They do deserve a personal life.  

In 10-15 years, they will be retired and fans will have moved-on to someone else.  That's when some will wish they put more time into their marriages and their kids, instead of grinding every second for a sports trophy.

Wild generalizations about all 3 of these guys based on a documentary. It’s all speculation about JA because he purposely keeps it that way. That is all. 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Meanwhile, Patrick Mahomes is on another level completely.  Even with a toddler and newborn baby, you can tell his life totally revolves around football.  Every moment of his week is working on getting better, whether studying plays or working with a personal trainer.  There is a reason he's clearly the standard in the NFL and why everyone else is chasing his tail

This is not to disparage Mahomes in any way.  

But ask yourself why you accept the version of reality you see in a documentary, as the totality of Pat Mahomes life?

With 3 SB rings, KC is indeed the standard that other teams are chasing.  And I have no doubt that Mahomes works hard.

On the other hand, there are some facts:

-Mahomes has a golf handicap of 8 (7.7 to be exact).  How did he improve his golf game to the point of having a handicap of 7.7 if "every moment of his week" is working on getting better" as a quarterback? [for comparison, Josh Allen has a golf handicap of 9; maybe Mahomes is working harder at golf than Allen is?]

-Mahomes is a part-owner of the KC Royals MLB team.  I'm sure he has a management team, but he must spend at least a few minutes on the regular absorbing their high level summaries and giving decision-making input

-Mahomes and his wife Brittany are co-owners of the NWSL Kansas City Current professional soccer team - again, while he probably hires a team to manage it, he must spend a few moments meeting with his management to be kept current (ha! see what I did?) and make decisions on some issues.  He attends games with his wife 

-Mahomes has a number of commercial endorsements - we see him in commercials all the time.  Reviewing the concepts and the terms of the deals, then actually filming the commercials and watching the edited version/approving it has to take a few moments.

Again, I'm not trying to disparage the effort Mahomes puts in, but I am pointing out that you're uncritically accepting a vision of Mahomes presented in a film he and his team undoubtedly negotiated for some form of content control before agreeing to appear, even when there is evidence out there that "every moment of his week" narrative probably isn't the full picture.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

But ask yourself why you accept the version of reality you see in a documentary, as the totality of Pat Mahomes life?

With 3 SB rings, KC is indeed the standard that other teams are chasing.  And I have no doubt that Mahomes works hard.

-Mahomes has a golf handicap of 8 (7.7 to be exact).  How did he improve his golf game to the point of having a handicap of 7.7 if "every moment of his week" is working on getting better"? [for comparison, Josh Allen has a golf handicap of 9; maybe Mahomes is working harder at golf than Allen is?]

-Mahomes is a part-owner of the KC Royals MLB team.  I'm sure he has a management team, but he must spend a few minutes absorbing their high level summaries and giving decision-making input

-Mahomes and his wife Brittany are co-owners of the NWSL Kansas City Current professional soccer team - again, while he probably hires a team to manage it, he must spend a few moments meeting with his management to be kept current (ha! see what I did?) and make decisions on some issues.  He attends games with his wife 

-Mahomes has a number of commercial endorsements - we see him in commercials all the time

Again, I'm not trying to disparage the effort Mahomes puts in, but I am pointing out that you're uncritically accepting a vision of Mahomes presented in a film he and his team undoubtedly negotiated for some form of content control before agreeing to appear, even when there is evidence out there that "every moment of his week" narrative probably isn't the full picture.

It’s crazy! Even when he’s supposed to be sleeping, this is Mahomes at home in his downtime…

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952n4jgw4zhit83j26h08

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

-Mahomes has a golf handicap of 8 (7.7 to be exact).  How did he improve his golf game to the point of having a handicap of 7.7 if "every moment of his week" is working on getting better" as a quarterback? [for comparison, Josh Allen has a golf handicap of 9; maybe Mahomes is working harder at golf than Allen is?]

-Mahomes is a part-owner of the KC Royals MLB team.  I'm sure he has a management team, but he must spend at least a few minutes on the regular absorbing their high level summaries and giving decision-making input

-Mahomes has a number of commercial endorsements - we see him in commercials all the time.  Reviewing the concepts and the terms of the deals, then actually filming the commercials and watching the edited version/approving it has to take a few moments.

So what you’re saying is it’s possible to participate in other aspects of life and still able to work hard on football during the offseason.

No one is saying Mahomes only does football 24/7. But it’s obvious he does more than other top qb’s during the offseason. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:01 PM, Don Otreply said:

No, all he does is have sex with Hollywood elite actresses, I thought everyone knew this…, 

...and play golf.  What part of "OFF-season" is so hard to understand?

4 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

No one is saying Mahomes only does football 24/7. But it’s obvious he does more than other top qb’s during the offseason. 

No, it's not obvious.  You assume it does because he wins

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

...and play golf.  What part of "OFF-season" is so hard to understand?

No, it's not obvious.  You assume it does because he wins

The cool ting about having sex with Hollywood starlets is he can do it all year long, golf? Golf is a reason to hang with your friends and drink, some say otherwise but they are misguided at best…, the off season is the time to eat poorly drink to much and not pay attention to football, something the fan base should become acquainted with..,  😁👍