Casey Toohill signed

IBTG81

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am not sure this is preventing Shaq from coming into camp to compete for that back end of the rotation DE spot. Seems like this guy is more of a marginal DL addition. 

Let’s see what this guy is getting paid in terms of guaranteed … I expect them to bring in another guy at DE as well either draft or someone still on the shelf later 

It doesn’t close the door on Shaq .. just makes it more difficult… I think he likes it in Buffalo at this stage of his career and might even settle for a PS position 

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Let’s see what this guy is getting paid in terms of guaranteed … I expect them to bring in another guy at DE as well either draft or someone still on the shelf later 

It doesn’t close the door on Shaq .. just makes it more difficult… I think he likes it in Buffalo at this stage of his career and might even settle for a PS position 

I wouldn't mind Shaq as the 5th/6th DE on the roster he's still a good run defender and not the worst pass rusher. You could do worse. However, I think the Bills are on a bit of a youth movement especially along the defensive line where they have thus far let Poona Ford, Leonard Floyd and Tim Settle sign with other teams while Jordan Phillips, Linval Joseph (whose probably going to retire or take a mid-season contract) and Shaq remain unsigned. The only vet they brought back was Daquon whose really the only one tech they had. 

Still a lot of options out there to round out the rotation and time/room for Shaq to get a camp spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Never heard of him nor do I even know what position he plays without reading this thread lol

As he is caucasian, we have seen the obligatory Trent Murphy and Chris Kelsay references. I think that may be all you need to know about Mr Toohill. Let’s hope he surpasses both of those Bills Legends. Not to the level of say, Gibran Hamdan. He’s the archetypal Bills Legend.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

i had to google who he was, and this was the first thing i saw...

https://riggosrag.com/posts/washington-commanders-players-dont-deserve-roster-anymore/3

He'd be better playing in warm weather.  He's from San Diego & went to Stanford.  I guess Beane didn't believe Deion & wanted to show him how wrong he thinks Deion is about kids who grow up in warm weather playing in cold weather cities.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

i had to google who he was, and this was the first thing i saw...

https://riggosrag.com/posts/washington-commanders-players-dont-deserve-roster-anymore/3

Yikes

3. Casey Toohill, EDGE
It is going to be extremely difficult for any team to replace both Chase Young and Montez Sweat immediately after trading them. Casey Toohill has stepped into a starting role since their departures, and he's hardly been an ideal replacement.

If you asked Pro Football Focus, Toohill is ranked 97th out of 109 possible players at his position around the NFL. That's ... in a word ... bad. Toohill is one of the biggest reasons this Washington defense is in the bottom half of the league against the run. He has been one of the worst run defenders on this unit, by far.

On a positive note, Toohill does have 5.0 sacks on the season. But, that is also kind of a fluky number. Toohill has been far from consistent in garnering pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Consider those sacks more so of a few "flash in the pan" type moments. They're more of an anomaly than they are the norm.

Washington has to overhaul the edge position, obviously, and Toohill likely won't make it back onto this roster after nearly four seasons here.

• Shocked 1

He actually has some athleticism.  His 4.62 40 time is faster than a lot of guys who will be drafted in the first couple rounds of the draft.  His 39 inch vertical is even better compared with prospects at DE.  The question is whether or not good coaching can help him address the shortcomings in his game, especially in run defense.  In any case, he'll be a fringe player at best, getting reps only if guys ahead of him are injured.  

• Like (+1) 1