McGovern talks moving to center

I've been trying to say, he's a natural center. He was a center in high school. A lot of centers are converted from other positions. He's been playing center for a long time. I guess Penn State and Dallas needed him more at guard. I think he's going to be excellent at center and I am glad he is excited for the opportunity. A bit more stout than Morse.  And I know I am in the minority here, but I really like David Edwards. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

yep this article convinced me he is the center and they are going to maybe be in the guard hunt late in the draft or in the summer...or i guess the center hunt late in the draft or in the summer as a backup.

so 28 and 60 are probably wr and D-line.  

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I've been trying to say, he's a natural center. He was a center in high school. A lot of centers are converted from other positions. He's been playing center for a long time. I guess Penn State and Dallas needed him more at guard. I think he's going to be excellent at center and I am glad he is excited for the opportunity. A bit more stout than Morse.  And I know I am in the minority here, but I really like David Edwards. 

David Edwards is only 26 so he could work himself into a decent extension if he steps up this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

David Edwards is only 26 so he could work himself into a decent extension if he steps up this year.

he's only 4 years older than Trumaine Edmunds.

• Haha (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd prefer a veteran backup as well maybe not the other Connor McGovern.

I had my eye on Jack Driscoll, but he signed with the Dolphins. 

Of what is left, I like Evan Brown. Super high RAS center who is similar to Ryan Bates in a bunch of metrics. He's been a competent backup for a bit and floated around the league, has started 40 games. But he is still young and I love the athleticism. He can play guard or center. 

If you want a true vet backup who is a solid player in a pinch it's probably Cody Whitehair. He has a lot of experience at both guard and center. He is 32, but he is the type of guy who could be useful in the group. Released so no comp pick impact. Lucas Patrck was also released by the Bears and is a high RAS guy who has a good amount of experience. 

Shane Lemiuex is an interesting guy, but he has been hurt a lot and ruined by Bobby Johnson. But a young vet who would be very cheap and can play guard and center. You could potentially catch lightning here. Nick Gates, who was released by Washington is similar but has more experience. 

Brian Allen is mostly a center only. he is on the smaller side, but a Kromer guy and a former wrestler. He was excellent during their Super Bowl run and you could do a lot worse with a backup center. Another released guy, so no comp pick impact. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

I wonder if Alec Anderson can play guard? Or is he center only? If he's a center only ideally I would love for Anderson to show out at center in the offseason and earn his way into a starting role, then leave McGovern at guard. I'm sure there will be a rookie with a chance to compete for the position too. I just don't want them preemptively giving McGovern the center job. Get the best three IOL on the field in their best possible positions whatever that looks like. I'm surprised how vocal the team is being about handing McGovern the center job.

• Like (+1) 2

Well that settles the concerns of drafting a center high in the draft this year, on to other worries 😂

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s official. Our new center is McGovern.

I'll admit I feel a lot better about him moving to center after reading that.

A lot of people don't realize that center is physically the easiest to play

There are a lot of linemen that are physically able to play the position... It's mentally challenging

So you need to have the a high football IQ to be successful..  but lineman are usually also some of the smartest people on the team

There are so many options to develop an NFL center...

Including taking college tackles who aren't athletic enough to play NFL... There are a lot of options and it's a position that gets groomed

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are a lot of linemen that are physically able to play the position... It's mentally challenging

So you need to have the a high football IQ to be successful..  but lineman are usually also some of the smartest people on the team

Including taking college tackles who aren't athletic enough to play NFL... There are a lot of options and it's a position that gets groomed

Jason Kelce said this. It’s definitely the easiest physically of all positions. Definitely need to know blocking assignments more than any other OL position also. Plus snapping is a skill.

I think he’ll be a very good center.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jason Kelce said this. It’s definitely the easiest physically of all positions. Definitely need to know blocking assignments more than any other OL position also. Plus snapping is a skill.

I think he’ll be a very good center.

Yes which is why I'm always leery about taking center in the first round... Even if a lot of good centers go late first

Because there are a plethora of offensive lineman with center experience, who just wound up at guard or tackle in college...

But with a little bit of grooming can naturally slide back to the center position.. 

It's always been physically the easiest to play... You need to find somebody who has it upstairs 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "physically easiest"?  Centers have to deal with the biggest, strongest dudes on the DL, the 1-techs (yes, they often get help).  I remember reading an article where Bill Parcells talked about bringing in Kevin Mawae specifically because he needed someone who could physically match up with Ted Washington.

Edited by TPS

1 minute ago, TPS said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "physically easiest"?  Centers have to deal with the biggest, strongest dudes on the DL, the 1-techs.  I remember reading an article where Bill Parcells talked about bringing in Kevin Mawai specifically because he needed someone who could physically match up with Ted Washington.

Well like the guy above me said

Centers including Jason Kelce admit its physically the easiest

They have the highest percentage of double team blocks and the lowest percentage of one-on-one blocks

Most centers are doing combination blocks with a guard not taking a nose tackle one on one

That might only happen a few snaps a game

They are usually combination blocking and moving up to the second level or anchoring and helping a guard in pass protection

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

They have the highest percentage of double team blocks and the lowest percentage of one-on-one blocks

Most centers are doing combination blocks with a guard not taking a nose tackle one on one

They are usually combination blocking and moving up to the second level or anchoring and helping a guard in pass protection

To be specific.  Do you mean physically strong or do you mean agile?  I imagine LTs have to be more agile than strong to deal with speed rushers, and I imagine RTs need a little more physical strength to deal with strong-side DEs. The ideal C I think would be physically strong, agile, and intelligent.

27 minutes ago, TPS said:

To be specific.  Do you mean physically strong or do you mean agile?  I imagine LTs have to be more agile than strong to deal with speed rushers, and I imagine RTs need a little more physical strength to deal with strong-side DEs. The ideal C I think would be physically strong, agile, and intelligent.

Let's get this straight

No line position in the NFL is easy to play... 

When I say physically the easiest... I mean there are more lineman in the NFL who can play center then tackle... And there are more people that can play center than guard... There are a lot of college/nfl guards and tackles that can physically play center... There are less college/nfl centers that could also play guard and tackle

A left tackle has to be 6'5 320 and move like a basketball forward.. physically very tough... The modern NFL is now putting the best speed rushers over the right tackle

So he also has to be very athletic and big...

Jason Kelce is a Hall of Fame center but he is physically not even big enough to play guard.. those guys are 320 lb... He's 280

It's the least physically imposing position... But you have to be the smartest

Again none of this means a center is weak or not athletic... There's just more NFL quality lineman who can physically play center than other positions

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah he should be more than adequate at center.   Penn State and Dallas probably both wanted him at center because the way the game is now the guards have more "opportunity" to block.   It's almost a waste putting the better blocker at center.  I guess it's kinda' dirty to say it aloud or something but with defenses getting smaller and faster you don't need centers to take on 350# NT's head-up much anymore.    Few teams play much true O tech.  It's mostly 1 techs and then on obvious passing downs half the time the center doesn't even have anyone to block.   Creed Humphrey leads the league in "air blocks" every year on his way to All Pro status.   Not a lot of Dexter Lawrence types to really make it necessary to have a true beast at center.    

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Let's get this straight

No line position in the NFL is easy to play... 

When I say physically the easiest... I mean there are more lineman in the NFL who can play center then tackle... And there are more people that can play center than guard... There are a lot of college/nfl guards and tackles that can physically play center... There are less college/nfl centers that could also play guard and tackle

A left tackle has to be 6'5 320 and move like a basketball forward.. physically very tough... The modern NFL is now putting the best speed rushers over the right tackle

So he also has to be very athletic and big...

Jason Kelce is a Hall of Fame center but he is physically not even big enough to play guard.. those guys are 320 lb... He's 280

It's the least physically imposing position... But you have to be the smartest

Again none of this means a center is weak or not athletic... There's just more NFL quality lineman who can physically play center than other positions

Thanks for clarifying.  I think Badol provided an answer right after your post too.  There aren't a lot of Ted Washington's in the league anymore, so the C doesn't have to be as physically dominant anymore, though I imagine that a C who has all attributes is ideal in order of importance--intelligence, agility to pull and/or get to the second level, and strength to take on a bull rush solo.

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

Thanks for clarifying.  I think Badol provided an answer right after your post too.  There aren't a lot of Ted Washington's in the league anymore, so the C doesn't have to be as physically dominant anymore, though I imagine that a C who has all attributes is ideal in order of importance--intelligence, agility to pull and/or get to the second level, and strength to take on a bull rush solo.

You certainly don't want a turnstile as a center

You can certainly put the wrong guy back there...

But yes there's not a lot of pure 0T who are just lined up across from the center all day and just give them hell anymore

Graham Barton from Duke was a 3-year left tackle... Who had like four starts at center as a freshman... But he has been groomed as a college left tackle his whole career

But he's honestly one of my favorite if not my favorite center prospect in the draft

I love getting that tackle athleticism and bringing him back to center

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As someone who played center in college, I can say this is it 100%.

As great as Kelce is, he would get blown up at guard. Not enough size and power.

My guards were much bigger and more powerful. I knew and read the game well. I understood flow and angles. We couldn't have traded spots.

If McGovern can think the game well enough, you might have the best of both worlds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrMaxPower said:

As someone who played center in college, I can say this is it 100%.

As great as Kelce is, he would get blown up at guard. Not enough size and power.

My guards were much bigger and more powerful. I knew and read the game well. I understood flow and angles. We couldn't have traded spots.

If McGovern can think the game well enough, you might have the best of both worlds.

The mental aspect of being a center is extremely tough as you know

Being able to read and evaluate the front every play and get the right protections in place takes high football IQ

Which is why the best centers were always extremely tough athletic and smart as hell

It's the perfect combination