Safety Julian Blackmon visiting Bills

Before seeing this thread today, I was not familiar with this player.  I like what I see.  He's young and talented and he's played (at least) a full season post-achilles with no ill effects from it.  The shoulder injury seems to be unrelated and minor.  It also appears that the Colts have a younger, cheaper option, so it makes sense for them to move on from him, even if he's a good player.  Seems like he'd be a good add for the Bills open safety spot, while still drafting one.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Why not trade up to make sure you got your guy? 😈😈😈😈😈

This entire exchange you're having is giving me PTSD from the Ngata-Whitner clusterf**k.  Not quite up there with "Wide Right", but still pissed.  Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Achilles repairs have come a long way. Also, not many players escape injuries these days. If the price is right I am all in. This kid is damn good!

I’m incredibly gun shy of Achilles recoveries but he already made it back 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

People in here getting excited about safeties.    

I mean we at least need a starting caliber safety, ideally two. Right now we have zero on the roster. The hope is that Blackmon's injury history means we get a young safety with high upside signed to a lowball deal, just like we did with Poyer and Hyde.

• Like (+1) 9

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bringing in a guy hurt 2 years Ina row, including a torn Achilles.   Right...

And had an excellent season last year post injuries....@ 25 yrs old and 5 mil per year...yeah no brainer do it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Yep - this appears to be a no brainer signing if not cost prohibitive. His analytics for coverage skills and tackling are elite. If he’s $5m year you could structure it so it’s 2024 cap friendly: 5 years $20m, $10m singing bonus with salaries of $1.5m for each of the first 3 years and $5.5m in year 4. This way the cap hit would be $4m for first 3 years and $8m in year 4 (dead cap of $2.5m if you cut him before year 4). No brainer 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, astb41 said:

was the visit today?

Not sure if it was today...I think its this week some time but apparently he's getting interest from other teams as well is what i read (not indicated who these other teams are though)

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I’m incredibly gun shy of Achilles recoveries but he already made it back 

I totally get that! I had to do some research on new surgical interventions and it’s much more promising but still risky? Of course 😊

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Might be different now, Poyer and Hyde were interchangeable. 

I’m not sure that we want Rapp being a single high safety.

Rapp feels like Jamal Adams light to me.  In the box "big hitter" can't cover like whiffner