Chargers Trade Keenan Allen to Bears

There's no way the Chargers could've kept Bosa, Mack, & Allen. Bosa & Mack restructured & the writing was on the wall for Allen.

I'd have kept Allen & traded Bosa, but a 4th is a good return to get that cap-hit off your books.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 947 said:

There's no way the Chargers could've kept Bosa, Mack, & Allen. Bosa & Mack restructured & the writing was on the wall for Allen.

I'd have kept Allen & traded Bosa, but a 4th is a good return to get that cap-hit off your books.

Allen has maybe 2 good year left?

I think he’s the classic case of getting rid of a guy 1 year too early rather than 1 year too late.

48 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’m not a fan of the guy but…. 

For a 4th?

Yep, I saw the trade on another site and also thought “we could’ve had him for a 4th?”.   Then I saw we signed Curtis Samuel and calmed down.   I don’t believe the Bills would’ve been able to take on Allen’s salary.

Samuel is similar in play style to the guy he shares a surname with, Deebo, with respect to speed and running from the backfield.  Obviously a level or two below.

And the Carolina connection continues.  🙄

12 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He’s 31, and am I correct his cap hit in 2024 is $34M?

https://overthecap.com/player/keenan-allen/2227

Chargers will seemingly be in the WR market in the upcoming draft.

No.  After the Chargers eat dead cap, Bears cap hit is $23.1M with no guaranteed money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/keenan-allen-12357/

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Justin Herbert gonna plant himself in the draft room at the start of RD1 and stare daggers at the GM until he takes a WR with their pick. 

Worst offense in the league?!  They had a hugely top heavy roster and they weren't even good.  Gotta rip the bandaid off, and you got a coach whos committed long term.  

Last year their group of backs totalled about 300 carries and none of them even hit 4 on a Yards per carry average.  I don't view losing ekeler as a big loss - especially with a 68.9% catch percentage as a back.  

Allen had 150 targets... but missed 4 games with injuries.  Mike WIlliams played 3 games a year ago.  They already basically played a season with Johnston and Palmer - and Johnston was a rookie 1st round pick (there tends to be a jump in year 2).  They pick at 5, have a franchise QB established, and theres a close to 100% chance one of MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze is on the board when they pick.  If all 3 are gone, then Maye is probably available and someone might want to jump the giants - thus getting you a ton of value that they probably need.  So its pretty much a win win.  

Not sure why they included tight ends - but I think Dissly and Parham can cover for whatever Gerald Everett brought to the table.  

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Justin Herbert gonna plant himself in the draft room at the start of RD1 and stare daggers at the GM until he takes a WR with their pick. 

That is a dismal offense on paper but with Roman as OC you know it’s going to be a run first, run heavy offense. 

But Herbert might be the best passer a Roman/Harbaugh tandem has ever had to work with. Might not need top shelf receivers to make an offense work, and any RB will probably thrive there. 

One of the craziest stats in the NFL is that the Chicago Bears have never had a 4,000 yard passer. NEVER. Their single-season leader is Eric Kramer in 1995 with 3,838. You know you're in trouble when Sid Luckman's 1947 season cracks your top 15 and the top ten is dominated by Jay Cutler. Will Caleb Williams and all these FA/trade weapons break that crazy streak? I kind of hope it doesn't. 

Another slightly related fact is that the J E T S Jets Jets Jets have never had a 4,000-yard passer in their NFL history. Joe Nameth had 4,007 in 1967, but those were AFL yards. If those count, then so does the Billa AFL Championship. 

14 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’m not a fan of the guy but…. 

For a 4th?

Keenan has been so injury prone over his career,  his contract,  age.   makes sense to me.   tons of talent,  when hes actually on the field.

36 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

Keenan has been so injury prone over his career,  his contract,  age.   makes sense to me.   tons of talent,  when hes actually on the field.

I’d actually think Diggs would go for a similar type pick at this point, given his age and cost too.  Late 3rd if one wants to argue he’s been more durable and worth the money than Keenan.

Regardless, given our lack of a WR1 alternative, he’s more valuable to us at this point (IMO), versus elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Process said:

That Chicago offense is loaded. Way better than a team with the first pick usually would be. Pretty nice situation for Caleb. 

Also I think it's safe to say Nabers is going 5. 

I am still not totally convinced that the Bears are drafting Caleb Williams.  I’ll believe it when they turn in the card.

• Like (+1) 1

With the Vikings positioning to move up Charger could be in a position to get Marvin Harrison.  No way NE doesnt draft a Qb.  Arizona has holes everywhere and could benefit greatly from moving back.