CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

That Trent Sherfield sucks and he’s not an ideal player to start against our biggest playoff rival that has a 3 time champion HoF QB/Coach combo? 

It’s not that hard of a narrative to push. It’s pretty factual.

See my last quote.

This is getting redundant.

I think people are forgetting how big of a crapshoot the draft is. Reagor, Claypool, KJ Hamler, Van Jefferson, Ruggs, Jeudy, Laviska Shenault are all guys who went in first 2 rounds of just the 2020 draft. Would you feel good about any of these names starting day 1 as rookie as our #2? I’m not saying we still shouldn’t draft WR within our first 3 picks. But Brady obviously likes Samuel and knows what he’s already capable of. He definitely makes this offense better. A rookie would be at best 50/50, to immediately have the impact that Samuel will. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

2017 Draft Profile:

Overview

"Jack-of-all trades but master of none"

Stupid pet peeve of mine but I hate when writers don't use that whole quote.  "Jack-of-all trades but a master of none IS OFTENTIMES BETTER THAN A MASTER OF ONE" 

Samuel was rated the #1 running back in all of New York in high school.  He primarily played running back at Ohio state before transitioning to wide receiver for the nfl draft.  This guy is our deebo Samuel!  He's super fast and is not afraid of contact , just look at the highlights!

In Carolina he played with Cam Newton who at that time was running on fumes.  He then played with the likes of pj walker and Sam Howells. Just wait until this guy has a dynamic qb like allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Stupid pet peeve of mine but I hate when writers don't use that whole quote.  "Jack-of-all trades but a master of none IS OFTENTIMES BETTER THAN A MASTER OF ONE" 

Samuel was rated the #1 running back in all of New York in high school.  He primarily played running back at Ohio state before transitioning to wide receiver for the nfl draft.  This guy is our deebo Samuel!  He's super fast and is not afraid of contact , just look at the highlights!

In Carolina he played with Cam Newton who at that time was running on fumes.  He then played with the likes of pj walker and Sam Howells. Just wait until this guy has a dynamic qb like allen. 

I love the full quote

But yes, I don't think Samuel is going to break any solo historic NFL records while he's here. But that he can be used in so many ways means that Brady has more options on matchups while using similar personnel groups and run similar plays with different groups

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Metcalf had a megatron type RAS.  He is not the same.  For every Thomas, Rice and Boldin there are 100 Brandon Lafell, USC Mike Williams, Treadwell, Blackmon busts.  Besides Rice, who came out in the 80’s, that is why the other guys went rd 2.  

Okay, then think Drake London

On 3/14/2024 at 5:57 PM, YodaMan79 said:

I love this!  I've been watching him languish for years in DC.  He's really good. 

yeah I live in DC and he is very good.   He's kind of a Deebo type, can run with it , catch it, very good all around.   Played with garbage QBs here so he will enjoy separating and having Josh stick the ball between his numbers at 100 mph. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bookie Man said:

I think people are forgetting how big of a crapshoot the draft is. Reagor, Claypool, KJ Hamler, Van Jefferson, Ruggs, Jeudy, Laviska Shenault are all guys who went in first 2 rounds of just the 2020 draft. Would you feel good about any of these names starting day 1 as rookie as our #2? I’m not saying we still shouldn’t draft WR within our first 3 picks. But Brady obviously likes Samuel and knows what he’s already capable of. He definitely makes this offense better. A rookie would be at best 50/50, to immediately have the impact that Samuel will. 

I agree. I'll be happy with a combination of Diggs, Samuel, rookie 1st or 2and round pick and kincaid, along with knox and shakir. Obviously a huge splash FA signing or trade to get a number 2 would have been great but just not possible with the cap the way it is this year. 

If they first some reason ignore wr until later in the draft then I'll feel less confident 

First time jumping on this signing but how are people trashing the guy? He has to be used properly to flourish but that is why is not getting paid $30 million a year. If we use him and the other receivers properly I can see an offense where 5 guys have 60+ catches on this offense. I like the signing even if it seems  like we have a lot of "slot" guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Trust The Process said:

Huge safety free agency class and we get nothing. 

Deep WR draft and we sign Hollins and Samuel. 

We trade Bates but we release Morse 

And we sign Morrow and depth guys instead of addressing starters. 

Once again, Beane is doing the opposite of which makes sense. He did the same thing the year we traded for Diggs. The depth at WR was strong in that draft and what Beane chose to do is trade for Diggs instead of drafting Jefferson. We shouldn’t have had to waste additional draft picks and a ton of valuable cap space on Diggs. 

You know what’s crazy?  The Draft Fairy went to Beane the night before the Diggs trade and told him that Jefferson would be available when it was the Bills’ turn to pick and that SOB still went ahead with the trade!

• Haha (+1) 3

On 3/15/2024 at 9:57 AM, ngbills said:

He was a rb / wr combo. Actually more of an rb coming out of Ohio state. He has been successful converting to a wr in the nfl but is not what many on this board want to say he is. People think because he is fast that he must be a deep threat. No. Doesn’t mean he is not a good player just not that. And it’s not because how he was used but it was to focus on what he does well. 

There's a good article on clutchpoints.com that provides a pretty good history on Samuel.  The article can also be accessed through the Yahoo sports app.

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

You know what’s crazy?  The Draft Fairy went to Beane the night before the Diggs trade and told him that Jefferson would be available when it was the Bills’ turn to pick and that SOB still went ahead with the trade!

PSA

If you don't follow the draft or college football in general like @st pete gogolak don't try to drop zingers about the draft years later.   

The issue wasn't whether Beane could get to Justin Jefferson in round 1.   It wasn't a surprise that he was available at the Bills draft position.

The unanticipated was that Jefferson would turn into a true WR1.   Let alone the best WR in the NFL.

So rather than drop a cringey fail-zinger just take the layup.

The issue that forced Beane to pick the low hanging fruit of Diggs in that WR-rich draft was his insistence on reaching up for need at a non-premium position with Cody Ford in the draft prior instead of taking a chance on the high ceiling WR prospects like DK Metcalf and AJ Brown.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Trust The Process said:

Also, Samuel lines up 53% of the time in the slot which will take snaps away from mostly Shakir followed by Kincaid which is a huge mistake. When Samuel lines up as a X Receiver he’ll compete for snaps with the player we draft.

Samuel as of right now is a better player than Shakir. This post screams "I only watch the Bills." If Shakir hit the market right now he wouldn't be getting $8M AAV with $15M guaranteed. He isn't the caliber of player that stops you from trying to improve the position when a good opportunity presents itself. I appreciate Shakir's toughness and natural instincts after the catch but he was not an answer for our man coverage woes last year. Samuel is genuinely very good against man. And unlike Shakir he can actually play outside. I suspect for example all of the perimeter screens that went to Diggs last year with minimal success will now go to Samuel. So he raises our floor in a number of ways.

Some people are getting way too caught up in worrying about his best spot in the formation. The #1 and only priority this offseason was adding legit starting caliber talent to the WR room. It's laughable that now the complaint is "the Bills are going to have TOO MANY receivers." There will be injuries, rotation, varying game plans focusing on different skillsets to beat different matchups. This is a regime that has regularly spent a lot of money on players 2-3 deep at every single spot on the DL. But for some fans doing the same at WR is an unspeakable sin. I can guarantee you right now the effect of Curtis Samuel on the roster will be much more than the combined effect of Jordan Phillips and Tim Settle on the roster. Beane's only mistake is that he waited this long to make the philosophical change.

If Beane next does the easy and obvious move and selects the best WR remaining with his 1st pick we will finally have the long awaited influx of talent that this group has desperately needed. If that leads to a player like Shakir getting less attention, all that means is he will also face more favorable matchups which can only a good thing.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

shakir caught 86% of his targets.....he is very under rated

Samuel caught 68% of his targets.....but yea, he's better than shakir

it's true that wash primarily had samuel line up in the slot....but that was because of the other wash wr's.  he can play the outside with ease

hopefully the bills still use their first round pick on a future WR1. that puts samuel as the guy who moves all over.

the only thing this offense would be missing is a true center. i'm not a fan of moving mcgovern over and replacing him with edwards.

21 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Looks like Beane prefers to move in a different direction …   It’s nothing new right .. this regime always preferred experience over rookies …

I will wait and see how things pan out in six months , rather then worrying about it now… lot of people this time last year were demanding they pay money for a LB

are you speaking to WRs ?

I think it was maybe the method previous

FA to build up trenches and depth. Maybe McBeane can now work more on drafting players that can start in year two or sooner and be effective. 2nd rounders, maybe early thirds.

FA will still be the staple to fill less critical gaps. Like splurging on Miller. 

Was surprised with Line backers and Benford performing so well.

Maybe BPA is real this years draft lol

as long as we get a cool WR or two :)

On 3/15/2024 at 6:57 AM, ngbills said:

He was a rb / wr combo. Actually more of an rb coming out of Ohio state. He has been successful converting to a wr in the nfl but is not what many on this board want to say he is. People think because he is fast that he must be a deep threat. No. Doesn’t mean he is not a good player just not that. And it’s not because how he was used but it was to focus on what he does well. 

Tyreek was a rb out of college. Maybe Samuel is a late bloomer. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Samuel as of right now is a better player than Shakir. This post screams "I only watch the Bills." If Shakir hit the market right now he wouldn't be getting $8M AAV with $15M guaranteed. He isn't the caliber of player that stops you from trying to improve the position when a good opportunity presents itself. I appreciate Shakir's toughness and natural instincts after the catch but he was not an answer for our man coverage woes last year. Samuel is genuinely very good against man. And unlike Shakir he can actually play outside. I suspect for example all of the perimeter screens that went to Diggs last year with minimal success will now go to Samuel. So he raises our floor in a number of ways.

Some people are getting way too caught up in worrying about his best spot in the formation. The #1 and only priority this offseason was adding legit starting caliber talent to the WR room. It's laughable that now the complaint is "the Bills are going to have TOO MANY receivers." There will be injuries, rotation, varying game plans focusing on different skillsets to beat different matchups. This is a regime that has regularly spent a lot of money on players 2-3 deep at every single spot on the DL. But for some fans doing the same at WR is an unspeakable sin. I can guarantee you right now the effect of Curtis Samuel on the roster will be much more than the combined effect of Jordan Phillips and Tim Settle on the roster. Beane's only mistake is that he waited this long to make the philosophical change.

If Beane next does the easy and obvious move and selects the best WR remaining with his 1st pick we will finally have the long awaited influx of talent that this group has desperately needed. If that leads to a player like Shakir getting less attention, all that means is he will also face more favorable matchups which can only a good thing.

One of your best and finest post. Not just because I agree on each point

Good stuff !

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Exactly tell Cincinnati they have too many wr's.  There is no such thing.

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

One of your best and finest post. Not just because I agree on each point

Good stuff !

Oh no a guy that eats vs man and can get open under 10 yards.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not sure they need another quality guy for 2024, but I won't argue the point. You may be right.  And I certainly won't object if a quality starter shows up in the draft. 

And I completely agree about the comparison with Shakir.  With Diggs and Samuel on the field, Shakir will see more open space to work in.  Samuel will make Shakir better, not vice versa.  

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

PSA

If you don't follow the draft or college football in general like @st pete gogolak don't try to drop zingers about the draft years later.   

The issue wasn't whether Beane could get to Justin Jefferson in round 1.   It wasn't a surprise that he was available at the Bills draft position.

The unanticipated was that Jefferson would turn into a true WR1.   Let alone the best WR in the NFL.

So rather than drop a cringey fail-zinger just take the layup.

The issue that forced Beane to pick the low hanging fruit of Diggs in that WR-rich draft was his insistence on reaching up for need at a non-premium position with Cody Ford in the draft prior instead of taking a chance on the high ceiling WR prospects like DK Metcalf and AJ Brown.    

Even if he got Metcalf, which I wanted at the time, he still should have traded for Diggs. Then you have an unstoppable offense and you can start actually winning championships.