Plans at WR?

So.... everyone wants a Safety, some more Defense...meanwhile all we've done on Offense is trade Bates, cut Morse and let Gabe walk.

Alright then. 

But hey, maybe we'll get Josh a tier 2 rookie WR to try and take down the Chiefs with in the mid-late 20's. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think this has been the plan for some time … what would you have them do otherwise?

It's certainly been the MO 'til now.  ... grabbing low-end WRs in free agency and hoping that they do something.  None have to date.  Ironically, LOL, the best value we've gotten from a WR is Davis in the 4th round, who's now on Jax.  

Bewilderingly, Beane hasn't drafted a WR in the first three rounds yet in 6 Drafts.  

4th:  Davis 

5th:  Shakir & Shorter 

6th:  McCloud, Stevenson, Hodgins 

7th:  Proehl  

That's it.  Shakir and Shorter are the only two still on the team.  

Given the increasing criticism and the heavy-handed approach in building our D and on "complimentary football," one would think that even if only for purposes of appearances, that they'd draft a WR in round 1.  Our 2nd round pick isn't until 60th, late in the 2nd, which is pretty far down to find the closest thing to a guaranteed impact player and unlikely that he'd be anything close to that as a rookie.  

Many are saying that the draft is deep for WRs, but our 2nd pick isn't until 60th, that's pretty far down no matter the circumstances.  A lot of talk about us having 11 picks too, but 7 of those are in rounds 5-7.  

We have the 28th and 60th.  After that we slide to the mid-late 4th with the 127th and 133rd.  

They'd better find one that can make things happen in the playoffs.  Including Diggs there's no one on the roster that has stepped up with even the remotest of consistency to post big games in the playoffs.  

This is going to be a huge season for Brady, and by implication McBeane.  Either way, it seems like a lot to do with a minimal amount of cap space and only two picks within the first 3-1/2 rounds.  

19 hours ago, BBFL said:

Honestly, I’m with you on that point and not worried at all. With the lack of production rfor periods in the end of the season between all the guys who specifically play WR; Stef, Gabe, Harty, Sherfield… The other guys we have stepped up; Cook, King Cade & Shakir. Diggs is still Diggs. 

Add a high pick and a guy from FA and how much worse can it actually be? I’d argue it’ll be better considering the guys who stepped up when we were hanging on by the skin of our teeth will only see more playing time and targets. 

Future isn’t as bleak even without a selection that high for Josh. We still got Big Blue, that’ll always be enough to win. 

Again, the only issue is that absolutely none of them have stepped up in the playoffs consistently.  The closest is Diggs who's had a single great game against Miami in his last 6 playoff games.  

Remember, our issues are not the season, we always win the regular season.  It's the playoffs.  Many don't seem to care as they simply want entertaining football in the fall, but many of us want a Championship.  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So.... everyone wants a Safety, some more Defense...meanwhile all we've done on Offense is trade Bates, cut Morse and let Gabe walk.

Alright then. 

But hey, maybe we'll get Josh a tier 2 rookie WR to try and take down the Chiefs with in the mid-late 20's. 

They’re going to make a significant move at WR. Calm down.

Guys, it's gonna be okay. They've called me. I'm coming in straight off the couch. I can run at least half a route and I haven't broken my fingers on a football since the seventh grade. Prepare for greatness. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Do you have specific WR targets you are hoping they land?  Not sure I’m willing to pay any of the FAs, versus draft WRs that are younger, cheaper, faster, and more potential upside.

I think it's frustrating that we've been in this situation for multiple years, but given we have been..  At the very least, they need a vet WR with some size and a high draft pick.  Even that is whatever.. Say it's Josh Reynolds and a pick at/around 28.  We're banking on Year 2 Kincaid and a Rookie.  Shakir is a nice slot piece and Diggs, who knows.. and that's literally all we have right now.  Asking a lot of a rookie likely not named Harrison, Odunze, Nabers or maybe even Thomas.

If I was Beane, I'm on the phone with SF-Aiyuk, CIN-Higgins, MIN-Jefferson etc., and maybe none of that is possible, but we desperately need more elite players on this team.  It shows up EVERY time we play KC in the Playoffs. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

One thing about the Bills desperately needing a WR or 2 I really think the front office believes KJ Hamler is going to be fully healthy and that will be their free agent WR acquisition at least in Brandon’s mind. 

Nah ….no way … he is a camp body signed to league minimum who won’t even make the team 

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Alright then. 

There are about 20 FA Safeties out there. Once again Beane will wait and snag one at a great value. I don’t remember Poyer or Hyde being “top end” guys when we signed them way back when. They were identified as having higher potential. McD does one thing well, he develops quality safeties. 

7 minutes ago, Locomark said:

There are about 20 FA Safeties out there. Once again Beane will wait and snag one at a great value. I don’t remember Poyer or Hyde being “top end” guys when we signed them way back when. They were identified as having higher potential. McD does one thing well, he develops quality safeties. 

Definitely agree.  If there is anywhere we should spend low and bet on traits, it's Safety.  I have zero interest in a legitimate money contract at that position.. In fact, I could easily be convinced to roll with Rapp, Lewis and some draft picks if that means we do something, anything of substance for Josh Allen and the Offense. 

15 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

One thing about the Bills desperately needing a WR or 2 I really think the front office believes KJ Hamler is going to be fully healthy and that will be their free agent WR acquisition at least in Brandon’s mind. 

Who?

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think it's frustrating that we've been in this situation for multiple years, but given we have been..  At the very least, they need a vet WR with some size and a high draft pick.  Even that is whatever.. Say it's Josh Reynolds and a pick at/around 28.  We're banking on Year 2 Kincaid and a Rookie.  Shakir is a nice slot piece and Diggs, who knows.. and that's literally all we have right now.  Asking a lot of a rookie likely not named Harrison, Odunze, Nabers or maybe even Thomas.

If I was Beane, I'm on the phone with SF-Aiyuk, CIN-Higgins, MIN-Jefferson etc., and maybe none of that is possible, but we desperately need more elite players on this team.  It shows up EVERY time we play KC in the Playoffs. 

Does it though?!?

We score points in every KC battle. In fact, we had the chance to kick for the tie last season, we had the lead and blew it in 13 seconds, we have beat them multiple times in their house. How do you explain that? Our offense scores points and in some games with ease. I get what you are saying, a nice shiny WR would be good. But in all honesty, Beane and the boys in teh boardroom are looking at this as a business. Full stop. It's our D that needs help. Not the O.

That's what Sean and Brandon preach.

This week we will get a pass rusher - big one. It's in the works.

WR at 22 or 28 in the draft and cross your fingers he can perform. This season was never going to be our SB...

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

Does it though?!?

We score points in every KC battle. In fact, we had the chance to kick for the tie last season, we had the lead and blew it in 13 seconds, we have beat them multiple times in their house. How do you explain that? Our offense scores points and in some games with ease. I get what you are saying, a nice shiny WR would be good. But in all honesty, Beane and the boys in teh boardroom are looking at this as a business. Full stop. It's our D that needs help. Not the O.

That's what Sean and Brandon preach.

This week we will get a pass rusher - big one. It's in the works.

WR at 22 or 28 in the draft and cross your fingers he can perform. This season was never going to be our SB...

I don't care about the regular season match-ups anymore. 

Post-season.. Kelce makes plays.  Diggs does not.  Jones makes plays.  Bills Defense.. anyone?  When Hill was there, he made big plays in big moments.  Snead, maybe he gets traded, but he locks up our best weapon every time. 

What pass rusher (if you have inside info, i'm asking rhetorically and don't expect you to say)?  Because I keep watching guys like Bosa get held when they play the Chiefs, so is this guy impervious to being held?  Where was Myles Garrett against Houston?  Playoffs are officiated differently.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just give me a day one rookie and middle tier veteran. There are more than a few examples of rookie WRs coming into the league and immediately contributing in the last few years. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't care about the regular season match-ups anymore. 

Post-season.. Kelce makes plays.  Diggs does not.  Jones makes plays.  Bills Defense.. anyone?  When Hill was there, he made big plays in big moments.  Snead, maybe he gets traded, but he locks up our best weapon every time. 

What pass rusher (if you have inside info, i'm asking rhetorically and don't expect you to say)?  Because I keep watching guys like Bosa get held when they play the Chiefs, so is this guy impervious to being held?  Where was Myles Garrett against Houston?  Playoffs are officiated differently.  

And with all that (which doesn't relate to my post at all) we still scored north of 30 points in our past 2 Playoff games vs KC. Heck, even Miami we scored over 30 in playoffs. Problem is, they do too because our D is swiss cheese. Once we get healthy (fingers crossed) and add a top edge rusher - we should be much better.

• Like (+1) 1

We need to go #1 WR and #2 S, Rd #3 or #4 WR.   Anything else is a wash.  We need to shed the 5th and 6th round picks to get back into 3rd round.

Until this teams Coach and GM learns that you need to make big plays with your WR corps,  when you have to have them consistently, they will never get to a SB with the retread of WR's currently on this team.

You don't put on worn out tires on a formula 1 race car and expect to outrun your competition to the finish line for the checkered flag. 

This is McD and Beane's philosophy and they don't get it.  Sad but true for 7 plus years now.

Edited by Toyo321

10 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Just give me a day one rookie and middle tier veteran. There are more than a few examples of rookie WRs coming into the league and immediately contributing in the last few years. 

True, but there are just as many busts for day one WR’s. 
Its a crap shoot tbh.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

True, but there are just as many busts for day one WR’s. 
Its a crap shoot tbh.

You're right, a WR in R2 then as well. (Half kidding)

A veteran signing is your insurance policy. I'd love to get Ridley or a flashy trade but I don't see it happening. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Westside said:

Who?

He was a second round pick of the broncos a couple years back and showed promise but injuries got him released where he was picked up by the colts and the same thing happened. 

45 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Nah ….no way … he is a camp body signed to league minimum who won’t even make the team 

Beane doesn’t value the position as important as others he’ll draft a couple this year cause he has no choice but them getting a solid vet receiver in free agency just isn’t his Mo 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Beane doesn’t value the position as important as others he’ll draft a couple this year cause he has no choice but them getting a solid vet receiver in free agency just isn’t his Mo 

I predict he makes another move in FA for a WR… he signs vet receivers all the time in free agency …Brown, Beasley, Harty to name but a few ..

59 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Thing is, to trade for Higgins or Jefferson, Bills are likely giving up their 1st or more, right?  And then they have to make the cap work as well, while also paying Diggs a ton at WR too and filling out the rest of the roster.  Do you want to give the Bengals another 1st round pick, so they can load up on cheaper,

younger WRs, while we try to figure out how to eat the cost of Tee Higgins?  And  even if we can figure all of that out, are the Bengals going to want Higgins in our hands?

At some point, we need to land some stud WRs in the draft ourselves, versus eat the cost of veteran WRs who will already be a step slower than talent right out of college.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I predict he makes another move in FA for a WR… he signs vet receivers all the time in free agency …Brown, Beasley, Harty to name but a few ..

Curtis Samuel makes the most sense now (connection to OC) with Noah Brown back in Houston. My only concern he is best suited to the slot and we already have Shakir there. 

53 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hamler was excellent in college (second round draft pick) and had some good games in Denver with bad QB play.  Injuries in back to back years ended his time with the Broncos.  He brings a speed element and deep ball skills that the Bills don't currently have.  He may not win a roster spot which would mean that the Bills landed someone who is really good.  If Beane doesn't go after another decent WR free agent, it should tell us what he thinks about Hamler and Shorter.  We'll know for sure after a couple of preseason games.

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Curtis Samuel makes the most sense now (connection to OC) with Noah Brown back in Houston. My only concern he is best suited to the slot and we already have Shakir there. 

Saying we already have Shakir is kind of what we did with Gabe Davis for years. Shakir is showing signs of being a good slot WR but are we at a point where we lock him into that role without competition?

8 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Thing is, to trade for Higgins or Jefferson, Bills are likely giving up their 1st or more, right?  And then they have to make the cap work as well, while also paying Diggs a ton at WR too and filling out the rest of the roster.  Do you want to give the Bengals another 1st round pick, so they can load up on cheaper,

younger WRs, while we try to figure out how to eat the cost of Tee Higgins?  And  even if we can figure all of that out, are the Bengals going to want Higgins in our hands?

At some point, we need to land some stud WRs in the draft ourselves, versus eat the cost of veteran WRs who will already be a step slower than talent right out of college.

We can get out of Diggs & Von’s deal next year, and somewhat in the clear the following year.

Agreed about hitting on WR’s in the Draft, but if Higgins or Aiyuk can be had for 28 and extra, I’m doing it.  If Jefferson is somehow available, whatever they want.

The issue with the draft is 28 has us looking at guys who aren’t complete receivers.  Most mocks even have Thomas & Mitchell gone by 28.

At the end of the day, maybe none of that is even an option … it’s more a frustration of getting to a point when for two years WR has been an issue and here we now stand with whatever Diggs will be next year and Shakir … that’s it. 

We’ll add, but I don’t know if a vet WR4 and a rookie Tier 2 WR is moving the needle much.  Maybe.. hopefully. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Hamler was excellent in college (second round draft pick) and had some good games in Denver with bad QB play.  Injuries in back to back years ended his time with the Broncos.  He brings a speed element and deep ball skills that the Bills don't currently have.  He may not win a roster spot which would mean that the Bills landed someone who is really good.  If Beane doesn't go after another decent WR free agent, it should tell us what he thinks about Hamler and Shorter.  We'll know for sure after a couple of preseason games.

My issue is that they don’t know what they have with Hamler .. and won’t for months as camp is still some time away… 

They are paying him league minimum and nothing guaranteed…  there is nothing stopping them signing someone else 

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Saying we already have Shakir is kind of what we did with Gabe Davis for years. Shakir is showing signs of being a good slot WR but are we at a point where we lock him into that role without competition?

I don't mind competition but what if Samuel wins? Then you could potentially stunt Shakir's growth and is worth it on Samuel who might not be here long term? It's a tough call either way. 

29 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

We will see I have my doubts and believe he’ll just backfill his defensive needs then draft WR and go with rookies at the position 

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't mind competition but what if Samuel wins? Then you could potentially stunt Shakir's growth and is worth it on Samuel who might not be here long term? It's a tough call either way. 

Shakir has shown me enough to be the slot WR.  Makes no sense to me to pay for competition in the slot when we need outside WR's.  

Diggs should probably get more time in the slot if we're being honest.  We have Kincaid who will get slot snaps as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Shakir has shown me enough to be the slot WR.  Makes no sense to me to pay for competition in the slot when we need outside WR's.  

Diggs should probably get more time in the slot if we're being honest.  We have Kincaid who will get slot snaps as well. 

I agree with you, just making my point why Samuel might be among best WRs out there he might not just be a fit for us.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Shakir can play any  spot, slot, outside slants, deep crossers or go routes.

11 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Shakir can play any  spot, slot, outside slants, deep crossers or go routes.

He can but showed he was best in the slot last year or used in motion. I don't see him as an alpha X which we need. To me I'd say sign Michael Thomas, sign Jamel Agnew and draft Legette Round 1 and take Cornelius Johnson with our lower 4th round pick or Bub Means with the pick we got for Bates. 

Edited by The Jokeman