Bills re-sign Cam Lewis

Process

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What is with this team's love affair with Cam Lewis. Keep keeping mediocrity. 

Are you expecting starting caliber talent at your 5th option at CB or backup safety?

8 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Lewis will replace Siran Neal backing up Taron Johnson in the slot... He can also play Safety in a pinch ... He also makes more Special Teams tackles than anyone on the team.

Good re-signing

That's exactly how I see it.  He is versatile that way.

• Like (+1) 1

Special teams, and back up to nickel and safety.  Solid piece.  Can compete for safety if needed.  Like the idea of grabbing a few guys day 3.  May avoid FA safety all together and go Dline and rb.  We will see.   

These deals kill me. We are so willing to waste a million here and there that could add up to a $10M difference maker. This role that Cam Lewis plays could be a rookie or min level contract. McD is stuck on keeping the familiar with all these guys. 

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

Are you expecting starting caliber talent at your 5th option at CB or backup safety?

No I am expecting a rookie or similar value contract. Let Lewis walk. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Justin Jefferson is happy about this signing 

Funny Lewis gets blasted for this all the time, because he was exactly where he should be, stuck to one of the best receivers in the league in coverage and he made a play on the ball. It took a generational grab in order for Jefferson to come down with that.

Lewis is pretty decent, honestly.

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

These deals kill me. We are so willing to waste a million here and there that could add up to a $10M difference maker. This role that Cam Lewis plays could be a rookie or min level contract. McD is stuck on keeping the familiar with all these guys. 

No I am expecting a rookie or similar value contract. Let Lewis walk. 

I guess you have beef with all 32 teams. They all make signings like this. You have to fill out your roster. They all sign cheap depth guys. They all value time in the system.

55 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not really a fan of this. Lewis and Rapp are not guys you sign on day zero of FA. If they sign elsewhere so be it, we can find cheaper options on day 3 of the draft or in late stage FA. McDermott is a little too obsessed with continuity at depth positions IMO.

we likely offered him the deal like 3 months ago, let him test the waters and he came back 

some of you are really hung up on specific timing of day 1 being important 

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm expecting to pay a 5th rounder 900k for the next 4 years rather than waste 4M on a perennial mediocre backup. You like Cam, I don't. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

💦

Is that up to four million with incentives…, 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Not really a fan of this. Lewis and Rapp are not guys you sign on day zero of FA. If they sign elsewhere so be it, we can find cheaper options on day 3 of the draft or in late stage FA. McDermott is a little too obsessed with continuity at depth positions IMO.

Some people are not designed to be Happy.

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Is that up to four million with incentives…, 

We have to wait.  It's agent numbers.  I'm going to say his 2024 cap hit will be $1.6M or so and he won't cost anything much at all to 

cut in 2025.  I think that's ok for a 75% snap count ST player and a serviceable DB who can play multiple positions and familiar with the D.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm expecting to pay a 5th rounder 900k for the next 4 years rather than waste 4M on a perennial mediocre backup. You like Cam, I don't. 

Yeah, I get a lot of people don’t like him because he didn’t knock a pass down against the Vikings.

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

some of you are really hung up on specific timing of day 1 being important 

It's important because it means we didn't wait to see if cheaper options would be available in the draft and late stage FA. We have all of these day 3 picks not to mention UDFA, surely one of those players can fill Lewis's role. Or if not we could always sign a capable player in June. I just don't understand why we continue to prioritize this caliber of player versus letting the market develop and using all of that added up cap savings to pay a player that makes a meaningful difference to the team.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's important because it means we didn't wait to see if cheaper options would be available in the draft and late stage FA. We have all of these day 3 picks not to mention UDFA, surely one of those players can fill Lewis's role. Or if not we could always sign a capable player in June. I just don't understand why we continue to prioritize this caliber of player versus letting the market develop and using all of that added up cap savings to pay a player that makes a meaningful difference to the team.

This is about special teams is the answer. Now I am not about to tell you Cam is a great teams player in the way I did defending Taiwan Jones in the era when his roster presence wound some people up. However, with Matakevich and Neal gone the fact they brought Lewis back doesn't surprise me. He did actually play pretty well on defense last year when he got his chances too. 

I am less bothered about this deal than I am the Taylor Rapp one but I agree it is a strange one to prioritise day 1. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is about special teams is the answer. Now I am not about to tell you Cam is a great teams player in the way I did defending Taiwan Jones in the era when his roster presence wound some people up. However, with Matakevich and Neal gone the fact they brought Lewis back doesn't surprise me. He did actually play pretty well on defense last year when he got his chances too. 

I am less bothered about this deal than I am the Taylor Rapp one but I agree it is a strange one to prioritise day 1. 

Rapp bothered me much more as it’s a buyers market and he’d be low on my list 

this one I assume was just a “here’s your offer” sent back in late Feb and then he agreed today. I’m not sure it was much of a priority. It’s basically a hair above league minimum 

• Agree 2