Knox "Reworks" Deal Frees Cap

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just pay attention to posts? You're taking it a bit too seriously, especially because no one will ever reveal their sources, for good reason.

Ok so no evidence..got it

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Von and Knox had two of the worst contracts on the team.   Glad to see they were both addressed.  

3rd, to me, is Diggs….

Now if Beane could get Diggs to tale a paycut…that would be something…

I got a feeling Diggs gets left alone though…

55 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sounds like a pay cut. Knox doesn’t have to agree to a restructure.

I think what you mean is, the Bills can re-structure Knox’s contract without his consent, which suggests that this is a negotiated pay cut.  Interesting…

Edited by mannc

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If they get released and signed somewhere else they still get paid, that's why there's dead money right? Yes though players will make deals to stay on teams when they're on the edge of rosters, Knox is not on the edge of NFL rosters. Typically what's common is they move money around and the players actually benefit more from the restructure in some way and the can is kicked down the road, but they don't lose money.

As for Von the thing I could see him doing is he actually is getting close to the edge of the roster with his injury and off-field situation. Him changing things up is about putting himself in a position to have a shot at another season to secure his spot and with incentives to make up for it.

Dead cap is from previous paid money spread over future years.  Knox is less valuable with Kincaid though they would prefer both.  I think league wide he would be viewed as a good starter.  His agent probably put out feelers and is agreeing to a market deal.  To entice, like Von, Knox will have incentives to make more than he would have before.  I think its a good move from both sides.  

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Ok so no evidence..got it

Happy has posted many injury "inside" info, during the season...ie: Groot foot, Knox wrist, McGovern knee, etc

He's also posted signings/interest in future players, ie: Murray, Joseph, Ford, etc LY

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t really understand Von and Knox taking pay cuts. What leverage do the Bills have in this scenarios? They can’t really cut these guys due to the dead cap. Why do the players say yes?

They say yes the day after they found the keys to a safe deposit box with a bag full of money in it…, 

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

Imagine working you way up the depth chart, balling out, and signing a big contract to be the TE1 of a top offense for years to come.

Then the very next offseason your team trades up in the 1st round to select another tight end, and the offseason after that, they're knocking on your day asking you to take a paycut.

Tough business. 

Well that deal was at the start of 2022, before Kincaid, which put him in the top 10 of TE salaries.  He finished 17th among TEs that year.

I love Knox and even before reworking I want him here because He and Dalton are different players.  That said, it was smart for him to take that.  I am not sure anyone is offering him more than what we are working on with him in total.  BTW, he was originally guaranteed $31.2 million and received a $7 million bonus, just FYI.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

They say yes the day after they found the keys to a safe deposit box with a bag full of money in it…, 

I hear that Pegs takes them for a round of golf at $250k a hole …

Wouldn’t you believe it …Pegs can’t put one on the fairway all day..

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

His co tract had a $5M roster bonus that guaranteed last year. I’m sure that got converted to a SB. Not sure what else they did tho. Some of his salary could’ve also been converted. Or maybe a pay cut offset by additional guarantees and/or incentives. Just have to wait and see. 

I think he will keep the guaranteed roster and option bonus this year and take a salary cut.  He's scheduled to make $4.9M in salary.

I'm guessing that will get cut to $2M or so and "maybe" some NLTBE incentives in return.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe this is the “put your money where your mouth is” year for Buffalo. 

In my day dreams, I see Allen’s contract also announcing a restructuring to save Cap, as they all realize, the ring is more important than the bling!!

*blinks and wakes up*

crap back to work 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think he will keep the guaranteed roster and option bonus this year and take a salary cut.  He's scheduled to make $4.9M in salary.

I'm guessing that will get cut to $2M or so and "maybe" some NLTBE incentives in return.

Certainly possible. I don’t think I’d do that if I were Knox though. I’d take my $5M and go play for another team where I’d make a lot more than $2M. 

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This is an interesting question. In college football, it’s been known for years that players were getting money under the table, by “bagmen”.  Is there any evidence that nfl players get money off the books to dodge the cap?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I was told a couple weeks ago Knox was approached about a paycut. I'm not sure what leverage we used considering his dead money hit would have been higher than his normal cap hit, but I'm glad to see he accepted the paycut. Perhaps we threatened a release with a post-6/1 designation?

Glad to see Beane being especially ruthless this offseason. It is a necessary change.

It's nothing new. He's asked guys for paycuts, and gotten many to do it, in previous years.

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Certainly possible. I don’t think I’d do that if I were Knox though. I’d take my $5M and go play for another team where I’d make a lot more than $2M. 

Maybe. But how many guys have left teams for perceived "greener pastures" only to end up miserable and full of regret? He may think that the Bills are his best fit. We may never know. Hopefully, the decision ends up mutually beneficial for both parties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

This is an interesting question. In college football, it’s been known for years that players were getting money under the table, by “bagmen”.  Is there any evidence that nfl players get money off the books to dodge the cap?

IDK if there is, but it would not surprise me in the slightest to find out that it is a common ploy, after all, we are talking about 32 franchises that are worth billions each, owned by people who are multi billionaires…, it’s a different world that those folk live in,