Morse Released

12 hours ago, Realist said:

Aging, concussion history, 8 million cap hit...not sure why so many are surprised at this one.

So they should waive Taron Johnson too right?   The concussion thing is so overblown with Morse.  

• Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Painful.  Our Oline was finally good again.  Big hole to fill now

I don’t know.  Some of you guys frequent sites like All22 that can provide more details but I just remember Morse frequently getting pushed by a rushing DT right into Josh.

It was time to put a younger hopefully better guy in there.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

A wasted year on Allen's career seems likely...

Over Morse, Poyer and White?  White has not been available for years, Poyer was showing his age.  Morse is a hit but something that can be absorbed.   I totally disagree, this is retooling and will not impact overall results expectation very much.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Over Morse, Poyer and White?  White has not been available for years, Poyer was showing his age.  Morse is a hit but something that can be absorbed.   I totally disagree, this is retooling and will not impact overall results expectation very much.

Totally. Douglas played at an extremely high level for us last season, arguably better than White ever has. 

Poyer/Hyde were awesome but the age caught up and they were playing at a baseline acceptable level last season. You don't pay 8 million for acceptable. 

Neal, Hines, Harty? Basically losing nothing. 

Morse is the only contributor that can't be obviously replaced, but it seems like they have a plan.  They must have seen things from Edwards and McGovern that makes them think this move makes sense.  They can draft a lineman early-ish too and I don't think anyone will be that upset. 

• Like (+1) 3

I love the aggresive moves. I'm in the mindset we need to rip off the band-aid... reset... and prepare for Allens back 9. We can not do that if we keep kicking the can down the road. Time to bullet bite, get younger and create cap space for this year and have cap space flexibility for the next few.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Agreed. Emotionally, the moves hurt as those are all guys I like. But it shows me the team is going to be moving forward and getting younger. The last few years have shown that we need some new blood at certain positions. They held on for one more year, but it was time to move on from these guys 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Rebuilding year for sure

Disagree it’s never a rebuilding year that is just a made up excuse from management, coaches and players to explain failure and there shortcomings. Every team in the NFL has salary cap cuts that isn’t unique to the Buffalo Bills. The Kansas City Chiefs were fine so will the Buffalo Bills. The Bills are just going to be a more offensive team instead of a defensive team which is a good thing when you have a quarterback like Josh Allen in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I agree.  

Turnover is part of the program in any well-run franchise.  

Morse generally wasn't physical enough from my point of view.  As others have said, he'd get pushed around in pass pro sometimes, and he wasn't a great power blocker.   What he was was a solid leader in the middle of the line, in charge, standup guy.  That will be missed.  Also as others have said, this move isn't leaving a vacuum.  They have a plan for the position, and no doubt a backup plan, too.  And a center probably will be added to the equation someplace along the way, starter or backup.   I'm not concerned. 

I often repeat what I heard Colin say one day.   He asked a Las Vegas odds maker how much it would affect the point spread if JJ Watt (at the time he was the reigning defensive player of the year) was out of the lineup.  The odds maker said, "maybe a half point."   So, if JJ Watt is a half point in the point spread, what is a solid but not spectacular center?   The league is full of talented athletes, well trained, committed.   Some are better than others, of course, but the difference between the starter and a quality replacement often is pretty small.  

• Like (+1) 1

Any chance Morse or Poyer end up back in Buffalo at the start of camp?   The safety market is pretty saturated this offseason.   I'm not sure what Mitch is looking but he seems like the kinda guy would want to retire in Buffalo if he's not liking the kind of offers he's getting out there.

1 minute ago, Lost said:

Any chance Morse or Poyer end up back in Buffalo at the start of camp?   The safety market is pretty saturated this offseason.   I'm not sure what Mitch is looking but he seems like the kinda guy would want to retire in Buffalo if he's not liking the kind of offers he's getting out there.

No. Reason is they took on dead cap to release them. They’re gone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No. Reason is they took on dead cap to release them. They’re gone.

I'm cap ignorant.  Can you explain this?  I thought when the Bills cut a guy, they took the cap hit, and the guy became a free agent.  As a free agent, he's free to sign with any team, but there's an additional cap consequence if he goes back to his former team? 

Or did you just mean that once the franchise takes the hit, it's making a commitment to getting younger at the position, so they actually don't want the guy back?  Frankly, I'm expecting that the Bills will bring in a veteran free agent to start at some position, safety, center, even guard, really anyplace up and down the lineup.  So, if it were Morse that they needed for a year, you think the Bills wouldn't be interested?

I'm not challenging what you said; just trying to understand what you meant.  

On 3/6/2024 at 4:09 PM, Beast said:

Not a fan of this.

We will be taking a clear step back next season.

We may very well take a step back next year, but it won't be b/c of the cuts that were made.

This team was always going to look a lot different in 2024.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm cap ignorant.  Can you explain this?  I thought when the Bills cut a guy, they took the cap hit, and the guy became a free agent.  As a free agent, he's free to sign with any team, but there's an additional cap consequence if he goes back to his former team? 

Or did you just mean that once the franchise takes the hit, it's making a commitment to getting younger at the position, so they actually don't want the guy back?  Frankly, I'm expecting that the Bills will bring in a veteran free agent to start at some position, safety, center, even guard, really anyplace up and down the lineup.  So, if it were Morse that they needed for a year, you think the Bills wouldn't be interested?

I'm not challenging what you said; just trying to understand what you meant.  

They terminated the contract of Morse taking a $3 million dead cap hit they can’t erase.

It just wouldn’t make sense to sign him back. If they wanted him on the team next year they would’ve worked out something.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:09 PM, Beast said:

Not a fan of this.

We will be taking a clear step back next season.

Well - this seals it.

Beane done good here.

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Why? Now is the time to get younger - and better. What we had didn't work. Why on earth go back?