Offer Sheet Kyle Dugger

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

If you get him, our defense is better and New England is worse.

If you dont, great! You forced New England to pay.

I think that's a no brainer, given the need at safety.

Dugger is and has been my biggest FA wish this season from a fit and need stance.

That said, this makes zero sense. Why should Beane spend his time negotiating a contract here? To make New England "possibly" have to pay a little more? 

Look at their available cap and then look at ours. There is no offer we can make they can't match several times over. Not only that but reportedly he's looking to get paid BIG. We can't afford big.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Dugger is and has been my biggest FA wish this season from a fit and need stance.

That said, this makes zero sense. Why should Beane spend his time negotiating a contract here? To make New England "possibly" have to pay a little more? 

Look at their available cap and then look at ours. There is no offer we can make they can't match several times over. Not only that but reportedly he's looking to get paid BIG. We can't afford big.

This is kind of where I’m at. The beauty of an offer sheet is where you can take advantage of the current team’s cap situation. It’s what the Bears tried to do to the Bills a couple of years ago with Bates. The Bills did match but it wasn’t an easy decision. 

Any offer that the Bills can make, the Patriots can EASILY match if they value the player at that level. If they let Digger walk, it’s probably because you overpaid for him. Otherwise, you’re just negotiating on their behalf. 

If you like Dugger, as we know they do, go ahead an take a run at him. Be mindful though, that an early offer would tie up your cap space through the first week(ish) of FA. You’ll miss lots of other opportunities in that span. If the Pats then match, you’re left holding the bag. It doesn’t make a lot of sense unless he drags into FA for a little while and the Bills miss other targets.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is kind of where I’m at. The beauty of an offer sheet is where you can take advantage of the current team’s cap situation. It’s what the Bears tried to do to the Bills a couple of years ago with Bates. The Bills did match but it wasn’t an easy decision. 

Any offer that the Bills can make, the Patriots can EASILY match if they value the player at that level. If they let Digger walk, it’s probably because you overpaid for him. Otherwise, you’re just negotiating on their behalf. 

If you like Dugger, as we know they do, go ahead an take a run at him. Be mindful though, that an early offer would tie up your cap space through the first week(ish) of FA. You’ll miss lots of other opportunities in that span. If the Pats then match, you’re left holding the bag. It doesn’t make a lot of sense unless he drags into FA for a little while and the Bills miss other targets.

This  makes sense but is overly complicated.  I have been reading on this board for years that DBs simply have no place in the great game of football and our obsession with them as a team has led to horrible thing including, but not limited to, world hunger.   Why not keep it simple and ban DBs from Buffalo rather than getting caught up in the details?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Also do we really want to pay a safety $12-$15M a season? The transition tag pays him $13.8M so he will likely be looking for that per season. He’d be a great player to get, but that’s tough - especially when NE will likely match it anyway. I agree that I wouldn't waste my time doing their work for them. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

There isn’t really a W to get here though. If it’s a reasonable contract, then NE matches. That’s good for them. If we overpay him and they don’t match, then we overpaid for a very good safety. That’s at least a small L for us. I just don’t see how it helps us. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Why? The Patriots have 101 million in cap space, they would match whatever the Bills did. The Bills don't even have enough cap space to do it to begin with now and his starting point is $14 million a year.

That's never happening for a safety where the Bills likely feel they can bring in guys in the 5th and 6th rounds. Where do people come up with these nonsense ideas without even knowing how much it would cost and the team cap space?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why not keep it simple and ban DBs from Buffalo rather than getting caught up in the details?

BRING BACK 'WRECKS' RYAN!

The defensive linemen can drop back for coverage. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

The best we will do is low budget round out the roster FA pick ups. There will be no splash or wow signings. We need to get younger and we need cost controls to be ready for Allen's 2nd half of a career run.

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

New England has like $101 Million in cap space I believe the Bills are or were in the negative so how does this logic work ? There is no way Beane even as magical as he has been for the Bills in the draft and FA if you aint got the cash your just blowing smoke & I think the Pats aren't that foolish . 

Edited by T master

if you want your safeties to be better, build a great defensive line that disrupts the game.

This is the year for this organization to rebuild the defensive line and this time get big time production from this group, particularly in the playoffs.  This team should have excellent linebackers and corners next year.  If they build an equal defensive line they can get by with just good safety play from a rookie or mid level veteran.   Then go after a big time safety next season.

This off season to me is all about building a new defensive line much like last year was improving the offensive line safety is way down my list to worry about.  Allen needs a big time weapon at wr if not two more and the defensive line has to be rebuilt and not just with average players.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I think that people need to be prepared that we’re not going to be going after the top tier free agents

For several obvious reasons

Especially at safety.  Twenty 2023 starting safeties are free agents.  Help is going to come cheap at that position.