Quandre Diggs, Jamal Adams - Released from Seattle

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

Just say no to old safeties (Diggs) and oft-injured safeties (Adams).  

Agree.

While I do think Diggs has some good football in him I'm more about younger/cheaper at safety. 

Adams is not only injured a LOT but when he does play is extremely overrated IMO and has been his whole career. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Pretty sure everyone outside of Seattle knew that was a god awful trade the day it happened. 

Even if Adams was good/able to stay healthy, there isn't a single safety in the NFL worth two first round picks+ a big contract 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10

Buyers market if you want an older S, or any S for that matter. Draft one this year or next and sign a couple vets on 1 year deals. Or if pricing is down get a younger guy on the cheap for 3-5 years. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 1

The safety pool is very, very deep in free agency this year. We'll have plenty of options to bring in some solid players without paying too much.

• Agree 1

I'm starting to think we should definitely release Poyer. The safety market is so deep. Poyer can find out for himself that no one is giving him $7.7 million this year. If he wants to come back for $3 million this year, fine. But if not we can easily find a cheap and capable option to replace him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm starting to think we should definitely release Poyer. The safety market is so deep. Poyer can find out for himself that no one is giving him $7.7 million this year. If he wants to come back for $3 million this year, fine. But if not we can easily find a cheap and capable option to replace him.

He costs $2m regardless. So unless you think you can upgrade Poyer for $5.7m AAV (I think there is next to no chance) then it doesn't make sense to me. I'd do a dummy year, lower hit this year push a couple of mill out into 2025 and bring him back. He was fine last year. He was still an above average starting safey and played well in the dime role too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Everyone talking about Adams but Diggs is the better player.  He would be on my radar.  Depending on price of course. 

Correct Adams is a dinosaur in the NFL. He can’t cover he’s also injured all the time and has a mouth he can’t shut 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He costs $2m regardless. So unless you think you can upgrade Poyer for $5.7m AAV (I think there is next to no chance) then it doesn't make sense to me. I'd do a dummy year, lower hit this year push a couple of mill out into 2025 and bring him back. He was fine last year. He was still an above average starting safey and played well in the dime role too.

I don't want us adding any void years to existing contracts on older players this year. It might be painful but I want us using this offseason as a means of getting the cap back in order. I don't want players like Morse or Poyer still on the books in 2025 for any amount of money.

If Poyer accepts a pay cut I would be okay with that. I just don't see any way he is worth a $7.7M cap hit, not with an extremely deep safety market.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I would strongly stay away from Adams as his injury history is lengthy. Quandre Diggs is 31 so I don't like the age factor but he has been remarkably durable so if the Bills are taking either give me Diggs. But I think if the Bills are dipping into the safety market they probably want to go with a younger player. 

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want us adding any void years to existing contracts on older players this year. It might be painful but I want us using this offseason as a means of getting the cap back in order. I don't want players like Morse or Poyer still on the books in 2025 for any amount of money.

If Poyer accepts a pay cut I would be okay with that. I just don't see any way he is worth a $7.7M cap hit, not with an extremely deep safety market.

Quoting you again today but I have to. Love this approach.  I won't cut Poyer but I fully agree with your overall point. Let's do a hard off-season, push as little cap to next year as possible, sign 1-2 solid FAs and fill the roster with draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1