Anyone like me wanting Beane to hurry up? (Cap)

The legal tampering period starts the 11th and FA the 13th so he has a little time. And I know he said he plans on being under the cap by the end of next week.

But I have Football ADHD dang it!  Make some moves so we know what's what!! 🤣

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

Beane just texted me, he said to tell you NO, 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I imagine it’s all going to happen almost at once. Like bang bang bang. For 3-4 straight days you will see updates of cuts, restructures, extensions. It will likely all happen before the tampering period starts but if I were a betting man, I’d bet against them going after any player in the first few days of free agency. My bet is they wait it out and look to not overpay for the high price, higher profile players. JMO

• Like (+1) 3

I am impatient as well, but I think the best we can hope for would be the re-signing of Jones before free agency and maybe a couple of extensions (Dawkins and Johnson).

• Like (+1) 2

The problem is that there are so many moving parts, Beane needs more information to decide what to do.  In particular, he needs to know what talent is likely to be available to him so he can decide what to do with the people he has under contract.  In other words, he needs to do some legal and illegal tampering to know his alternatives.   That's why it all will come at the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

Like I was saying to someone on another thread...I don't think you're going to get what you hope for here.

I think this year Beane is going to make moves only when he has to. I can see a few of the obvious restructuring (like Allen) coming soon. I'm willing to bet that come Tampering time places like OTC and SPOTRAC still show us as in the red. Those aren't accurate. Matter of fact it was reported last week that the NFLPA has the Bills will under the -$40M those places show.

Beane has mentioned before that what's out there isn't at all what he's actually working with. He has a complete other list that already has the work done on what they can do and where they are "actually" at. I'm sure there's still some work to do but for all intents, most of the work is done (sans any extensions or contracts they have to add void years or pay cuts to) and saved on his desk. 

On one of the 100s of interviews Beane has done he addressed this. He would prefer to have this done already, but in a sense, his hands are tied. A lot of our free agents would like to return, and negotiations with them is pretty straightforward. There are other free agents that told Beane they would like to test the free agent market first just to see what kind of perceived value is out there, hence the holdup. Add to the mix all the contracts they would like to restructure.

I don't care about speed, I care about him getting it right to the greatest degree possible.

As all-time great college basketball coach John Wooden who won multiple National Championships used to say "Be quick, but don't hurry."

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I imagine it’s all going to happen almost at once. Like bang bang bang. For 3-4 straight days you will see updates of cuts, restructures, extensions. It will likely all happen before the tampering period starts but if I were a betting man, I’d bet against them going after any player in the first few days of free agency. My bet is they wait it out and look to not overpay for the high price, higher profile players. JMO

I feel like the opposite.  I think we will hear about a few moves prior, but then just see a statement release saying we are under cap.  Then, a few weeks later, the details will leak regarding what moves we made.

I think the only moves we will really hear about prior will involve releases of players.

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The legal tampering period starts the 11th and FA the 13th so he has a little time. And I know he said he plans on being under the cap by the end of next week.

But I have Football ADHD dang it!  Make some moves so we know what's what!! 🤣

I'd rather him be meticulous and find good deals rather than get a show cow with mad cow disease and Foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) but I can see some as part of the mob wanting him to be in a hurry so they can start bashing him for not listening to their great plan from Madden NFL GM.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Pretty much. Unfortunately, there is a competitive disadvantage to releasing people early, especially cash strapped as the Bills are. Dumping new players into the marketplace right as legal tampering opens pushes greater supply into the market, meaning that there are more options for other teams to snap up.