Chuck Dickerson dead at 86

gomper

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

What was the fake breaking news you sent them?

Man.

I can't remember. I think it was a big trade with the Bills or something like that. I'm going to check my files later when I get home. It was a good one though, that I remember 😁

• Like (+1) 1

I think Ralph Wilson was listening to Chuck and 100% am convinced he made the call to start Rob Johnson in the playoffs (one of the worst ever QB performances I ever saw) over Doug Flutie as he had spent the year denegrading and calling Flutie a midget and having the fanbase in an uproar.

Listened to way too much of him.  RIP

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Not true. Dickerson had nothing good to say about the Bills because Marv called him on his BS and fired him 3 days after the Super Bowl.  THEN he became an entertaining radio personality who continued to hold a grudge over his firing.

From a WAPO article dtd 1/29/92 from The AP:

A sampling of Dickerson's comments:

On tackle Jim Lachey: "Wears his jersey real well. Tapes down his sleeves to makes his guns look big. Real big. . . . A ballerina in a 310-pound body."

On tackle Joe Jacoby: "My type of guy. Neanderthal."

And on Bostic: "Ugly, like the rest of 'em.

Dickerson, 54, said the remarks about the Redskins offensive line were meant as a joke. They weren't taken that way by the Redskins, who said Dickerson's words helped motivate them to beat the Bills, 37-24.

After the game, Washington center Jeff Bostic said: "He gave us a great motivating speech. He was talking about the Hogs. He made a lot of really embarrassing remarks, coming from a coach. He made comments about each one of us individually. I wonder if he likes us now."

Living in Washington DC area I heard these comments many times from Washington players who played for the team at the time.

Many used to hang out at Grevey's, which was a sports bar created by a retired Washington basketball player.

He did not just stick his foot in his mouth by those comments;  he stuck one of size 18 cleats in it and the other one elsewhere.

RIP (Rot in Pieces) UpChuck DICKerson.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

Can you imagine if the Coach had still been doing radio during the Jauron or Marrone eras?

On the plus side, if Ralph actually was listening to WGR, he might have fired Jauron "it's hard to win in the NFL" much earlier

Marrone might have actually tried to instigate a fistfight with the Coach

And Rex would have just hung out with him at the Old Country Buffet

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Can you imagine if the Coach had still been doing radio during the Jauron or Marrone eras?

On the plus side, if Ralph actually was listening to WGR, he might have fired Jauron "it's hard to win in the NFL" much earlier

Marrone might have actually tried to instigate a fistfight with the Coach

And Rex would have just hung out with him at the Old Country Buffet

Marrone wouldn’t of instigated a fight, he would of just started to fight; even if he was in his 80’s

4 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Living in Washington DC area I heard these comments many times from Washington players who played for the team at the time.

Many used to hang out at Grevey's, which was a sports bar created by a retired Washington basketball player.

He did not just stick his foot in his mouth by those comments;  he stuck one of size 18 cleats in it and the other one elsewhere.

RIP (Rot in Pieces) UpChuck DICKerson.

"Rot in pieces" because he made fun of professional athletes which in turn you think helped cause your favourite team to lose a football game?

You've got some serious issues. Seek help.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Not true. Dickerson had nothing good to say about the Bills because Marv called him on his BS and fired him 3 days after the Super Bowl.  THEN he became an entertaining radio personality who continued to hold a grudge over his firing.

From a WAPO article dtd 1/29/92 from The AP:

A sampling of Dickerson's comments:

On tackle Jim Lachey: "Wears his jersey real well. Tapes down his sleeves to makes his guns look big. Real big. . . . A ballerina in a 310-pound body."

On tackle Joe Jacoby: "My type of guy. Neanderthal."

And on Bostic: "Ugly, like the rest of 'em.

Dickerson, 54, said the remarks about the Redskins offensive line were meant as a joke. They weren't taken that way by the Redskins, who said Dickerson's words helped motivate them to beat the Bills, 37-24.

After the game, Washington center Jeff Bostic said: "He gave us a great motivating speech. He was talking about the Hogs. He made a lot of really embarrassing remarks, coming from a coach. He made comments about each one of us individually. I wonder if he likes us now."

I was never a Dickerson fan, but I remember these comments. 
Dickerson was trying to be like Madden, calling OL big uglies and slobs as a compliment. 
It was all tongue in cheek. 

Im not sure if Redskins Hogs weren’t smart enough to figure that out, or if they were just being fed the “he’s dissin you” line by their coaches. I sorta think the former. I’ve lived in DC area the last 20 yrs, Jacoby ain’t exactly the sharpest bulb. 

• Like (+1) 1

I found him entertaining even if he ticked us off now and then. I remember Wade Phillips and Lonnie Johnson were 2 of his favorite targets. He also used to have a column in the old "Shout!" newsletter that I enjoyed reading. The last I remember hearing him on the radio was in Rochester. He became Bob Matthews' co host for awhile. I always found that funny because I remember hearing Bob Matthews bad mouth him and the "Who loves ya baby" shtick a couple years prior.

Edited by holla83

Loved his show. He was hilarious, a little edgy, opinionated, had an inside understanding of the Marv Levy regime seeing as he got fired by him, and he actually talked about Bills football during the afternoon rush hour drive. A novel concept on WGR most of the time these days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I did love when he would just abuse Gregg Williams.  "Well Grrrrrrreeeeeeeeeegg said the D would be GREAT - but they were not!" 🤣

RIP Coach, you both entertained and infuriated me. :beer:  

• Like (+1) 1

Loved listening to the coach. One of the most anticipated days of my youth was waiting for the first show where he was paired up with Mike "sports talk for smart people" Schopp. RIP big guy.

2 minutes ago, zevo said:

Loved listening to the coach. One of the most anticipated days of my youth was waiting for the first show where he was paired up with Mike "sports talk for smart people" Schopp. RIP big guy.

Didn't he used to play a clip over and over of Gregg Williams stating that the 2001 team had the talent to win the Super Bowl?

Just now, holla83 said:

Didn't he used to play a clip over and over of Gregg Williams stating that the 2001 team had the talent to win the Super Bowl?

I dont recall.I remember one clip of greggo talking up kendrick office they used to play repeatedly