NFL player Mazi Smith’s unpaid storage locker auctioned off; full of THOUSANDS of dollars in stuff

Punching Bag

Mazi Smith’s unpaid storage locker auctioned off and it was full of THOUSANDS of dollars in stuff

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/forum/1-the-stadium-wall/?do=add

The TikToker who posted this tried to hide the player’s identity, but wasn’t very good at it by saying “he was drafted in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft,” and after clearly identifying that he played for Michigan it means Mazi Smith is the only dude who it could have belonged to.

It was packed full of player-exclusive Jordan cleats, Michigan apparel, a mammoth collection of Lego, as well as a 2022 Michigan playbook — which could have been disastrous had Jim Harbaugh not returned to the NFL. Sure, verbiage and plays change a lot from year-to-year, but a complete playbook in an opponent’s hands would have given incredible insight into the team’s defensive design.

What is a good finder fee besides the costs to pay off the money if the person who bought it legally decides to sell it back?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/mazi-smith-82304/

Mazi Smith signed a 4 year, $13,274,696 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $6,654,324 signing bonus, $13,274,696 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,318,674. In 2024, Smith will earn a base salary of $1,353,395, while carrying a cap hit of $3,016,976 and a dead cap value of $10,861,115.

Cowboys' Mazi Smith wants his stuff BACK!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-13119353/Cowboys-Mazi-Smith-Michigan-Storage-Unit.html

(attorney  Levi G.} McCathern has since confirmed that the unit did belong to his client, adding that the 22-year-old hopes to get his possessions back. As for the delinquent rent on the storage unit, McCathern said it simply 'fell through the cracks' amid his client's transition to the NFL.

Edited by Punching Bag
edited to emphasis he had was not short money
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, julian said:

I’m simply asking him to pay me what I paid and sell him his items back, I’m not sure there’s many people who wouldn’t do that.

Lots of people do that stuff as part of their job. If they’re bidding on a locker they’re taking risk and deserve to be paid for it.

it’s not like the nfl player making millions in a single year can’t afford it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Lots of people do that stuff as part of their job. If they’re bidding on a locker they’re taking risk and deserve to be paid for it.

it’s not like the nfl player making millions in a single year can’t afford it.

I’m not holding against anyone who says nope, It’s mine now I bought it, I think that’s fair. I’m saying that I’m assuming that getting an NFL players locker isn’t the norm and I’d sell it back for what I’d paid if he approached me properly.

I’ll just stick to not buying storage lockers, I’m sure I’d go broke in no time.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I don't think he has to give anything back.  

He doesn’t, the football player in question, in every legal way forfeited his right of position by breaking the storage unit companies contract with him that he agreed to by signing the contract…,  

Not sayin it’s fair, but…, 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, julian said:

I’m not holding against anyone who says nope, It’s mine now I bought it, I think that’s fair. I’m saying that I’m assuming that getting an NFL players locker isn’t the norm and I’d sell it back for what I’d paid if he approached me properly.

I’ll just stick to not buying storage lockers, I’m sure I’d go broke in no time.

Of course you would because as you say, you aren't in the business of buying storage lockers. For some people it's a lucrative and very real venture. A lot of these people run auctions or resale shops as well. And this is exactly the dream locker you fantasize about if you are in the trade.

For those unaware, not paying storage fees results in the property being legally considered abandoned property. The purchaser assumes all risk upon buying as most of the time the lock doesn't come off until you buy. Could have 4 empty tuna cans and 2 used adult diapers. That's your property now. Could have something worthwhile. Could be holding something illegal that's seized by authorities. It's financial Russian Roulette.

For something like this, should Smith get in contact to try and get his former items back it's not uncommon for a deal to be brokered. The purchaser would most likely take an inventory of items and estimate what they would fetch in an open auction. They would also likely factor in that the items would be worth more to Smith than they would be to a private buyer. The purchaser can then come up with an amount to sell to Smith who can then agree or not. In any event the purchaser hit a nice find and should be able to earn proper compensation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Of course you would because as you say, you aren't in the business of buying storage lockers. For some people it's a lucrative and very real venture. A lot of these people run auctions or resale shops as well. And this is exactly the dream locker you fantasize about if you are in the trade.

For those unaware, not paying storage fees results in the property being legally considered abandoned property. The purchaser assumes all risk upon buying as most of the time the lock doesn't come off until you buy. Could have 4 empty tuna cans and 2 used adult diapers. That's your property now. Could have something worthwhile. Could be holding something illegal that's seized by authorities. It's financial Russian Roulette.

For something like this, should Smith get in contact to try and get his former items back it's not uncommon for a deal to be brokered. The purchaser would most likely take an inventory of items and estimate what they would fetch in an open auction. They would also likely factor in that the items would be worth more to Smith than they would be to a private buyer. The purchaser can then come up with an amount to sell to Smith who can then agree or not. In any event the purchaser hit a nice find and should be able to earn proper compensation. 

Yeah running a business makes it a no brainer, giving him the chance to buy back at the estimated resale value is about as much as one could hope for.

• Like (+1) 1

$1800 is a lot of risk for storage locker which may just include surplus clothes, extra furniture and papers.

I helped a buddy load a storage locker when he needed to move I asked "Is it worth keeping this stuff for amount you are paying each month?" and his response was "It will only be until I get my new place paid for".  

it sounds like he buys unpaid storage locker contents regularly and it is like gambling where sometimes he may have some inside information occasionally like someone working for storage place.

• Like (+1) 1

I used to watch some of the storage auction shows years ago, yea there's some made up drama, but depending on the one you watch, it's pretty close to what actually happens.  I did go to one accidently one time, I was at my own storage locker the same day they were doing an auction.  The regulars do know each other and joke around about "so and so will buy that pile of crap."  There was one locker I remember had only a couch in it, no cushions.  I think it went for $1 to someone that had already bought another locker.  

If I were to get into it, with my luck I'd be the one paying $500 for a locker worth $20. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Never watched the show that deals with these auctions, but do they really bid on them before they unlock it and roll up the door, sight unseen, or do they bid after the door is open and they can at least see what's in it (not rummage through it, but just get a look from 5-10 feet away)?

37 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Never watched the show that deals with these auctions, but do they really bid on them before they unlock it and roll up the door, sight unseen, or do they bid after the door is open and they can at least see what's in it (not rummage through it, but just get a look from 5-10 feet away)?

Depends on the storage company and state laws tbh. I've seen it both ways.

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

The one I went to they open the door first before the bidding starts.  

6 hours ago, julian said:

I’m simply asking him to pay me what I paid and sell him his items back, I’m not sure there’s many people who wouldn’t do that.

No way...

If he wants his stuff back he can afford to pay for it....if I was the guy taking risks buying storage lockers at auction there's no way I sell it back without some profit to show for my time and risk; especially to a guy who just signed a $13 million contract. It's not like the guy stole his stuff or did anything slimy.  If he was that delinquent he only has himself (and possibly the storage co. owner?) to blame.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

The dude who bid $1 on a cushion less couch just couldn’t stop himself?

48 minutes ago, colin said:

so, anyone want to make a market on how long this guy will last before going bankrupt?

Make a market?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Again, I’m not familiar with how these auctions work, but if I’m an owner of a storage facility, and someone stops paying, and then I become the owner of the stuff in an unpaid unit, I sure as hell go into that unit the very day I become the new owner of the stuff to paw through it and see if there’s anything good/valuable in it, and if there is, I take that stuff for myself.  And in this case, the second I see a gun safe (or any type of safe in any unit) I immediately take this unit off the roster of auction units until I go through ALL the stuff in there, but especially the safe.

Are there laws preventing what I’m suggesting above? I wouldn’t think so…I would think the same principle would apply anytime you leave an item (or items) at: a computer repair shop, an automotive repair shop, a tow yard, a consignment shop, etc.

33 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Again, I’m not familiar with how these auctions work, but if I’m an owner of a storage facility, and someone stops paying, and then I become the owner of the stuff in an unpaid unit, I sure as hell go into that unit the very day I become the new owner of the stuff to paw through it and see if there’s anything good/valuable in it, and if there is, I take that stuff for myself.  And in this case, the second I see a gun safe (or any type of safe in any unit) I immediately take this unit off the roster of auction units until I go through ALL the stuff in there, but especially the safe.

Are there laws preventing what I’m suggesting above? I wouldn’t think so…I would think the same principle would apply anytime you leave an item (or items) at: a computer repair shop, an automotive repair shop, a tow yard, a consignment shop, etc.

There may be laws, or it's written into the contract, but think of it this way.  When I was renting, a 10x10 was about $100/month.  If I go three months without paying, and it goes to auction, if someone pays the storage site $2000 for the contents, the storage facility just made $1700 by sitting on a locker that only owed $300.  Plus not having to take the time to deal with cleaning out a unit and selling all the stuff is a time saver too.  

35 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

There may be laws, or it's written into the contract, but think of it this way.  When I was renting, a 10x10 was about $100/month.  If I go three months without paying, and it goes to auction, if someone pays the storage site $2000 for the contents, the storage facility just made $1700 by sitting on a locker that only owed $300.  Plus not having to take the time to deal with cleaning out a unit and selling all the stuff is a time saver too.  

Yeah, I get the profit they make, and the hassle it may take to go through/clean out these units, but.....I certainly would do a quick look for anything valuable. Like I said, any safes in there may contain expensive valuables, or cash, or gold, or jewels. Heck, some people have even stored vehicles in these units. Imagine being the owner, taking possession on an unpaid unit after waiting the time stipulated in the contract, rolling up the door, and seeing a classic Corvette in there! That would be a great day!

17 hours ago, julian said:

Yes, if you sold one of your best locker purchases back to them with no profit then you would go broke in no time.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The dude who bid $1 on a cushion less couch just couldn’t stop himself?

Make a market?

ya make a market, like a bid and an ask.

so like, 5 years at 10 years means you think it will be 5 or less years, but not longer than 10 years.  basically playing over under.

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Yes, if you sold one of your best locker purchases back to them with no profit then you would go broke in no time.

His mistake was posting about find on TikTok.  His laywer could try to take contract to small claims court looking for some way storage company made a mistake which would make the sale an illegal one. 

Some items were left in a rental property of mine and they tried to get it back.  Normally I'd oblige but they damaged the house a lot on way out with us guessing it was due to being evicted for failure to pay rent repeatedly.  We also had dated film showing damage to property.  They gave up on recovering items whose cost did not cover repairs. 

21 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/forum/1-the-stadium-wall/?do=add

What is a good finder fee besides the costs to pay off the money if the person who bought it legally decides to sell it back?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/mazi-smith-82304/

Cowboys' Mazi Smith wants his stuff BACK!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-13119353/Cowboys-Mazi-Smith-Michigan-Storage-Unit.html

No! Not the playbook! Wasnt that covered on an episode of the Brady Bunch?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, colin said:

yes, you silly!

people who work in markets (financial, gambling, etc) are generally familiar with these terms.

When you’re at your next high level financial market meeting, explain to the snobs what over/under means.  

• Haha (+1) 1

• Punching Bag changed the title to NFL player Mazi Smith’s unpaid storage locker auctioned off; full of THOUSANDS of dollars in stuff
14 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

When you’re at your next high level financial market meeting, explain to the snobs what over/under means.  

lol, i wouldt call what i do high level, and everyone here knows over under (big overlap in fin mkts and betting markets)

all a market is is a two sided over under or spread.  when the book at a bookie (old school ones at least) wasn't even, they'd show different prices for either side of a spread.

normally it's -110/-110, so you risk 110 to win 10 on either side of the spread,  but when it's out of whack they'll do like -120/-105 so the juice is 20% on the one side, only 5% on the other.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.