If McDermott doesn’t get it done, would the Bills bring in Shanahan if he left SF after next season?

The 9 Isles

6 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Come on this is you making excuses for Buffalo’s wins in n the playoffs and justifying another coach who hasn’t done much more than McDermott. You like Shanahan better which is fine, but to make it sound like he is some world beater compared to McDermott is way off the mark 

Give Mcd Brock Purdy and see what world he'll live in! 😂

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not while the Pegulas are our owners. Shanahan tanked his interview here in 2015 when they hired Rex. They hated him.

Fat Rex and his Fatter Bro for Shanny?

That was pretty sharp.

Of course, I think bringing back Marv would have been better than those two buffoons! 

• Haha (+1) 1

If you're going to get rid of McDermott because he couldn't beat Kansas City, why would you replace him with a guy who got fired because he couldn't beat Kansas City?  It's silly.  

Except for the fans of these teams, everyone thinks Shanahan and McDermott are two of the very best coaches in the league.  The only reason to replace them seems to be that some people have created in their minds something I'll call the Schottenheimer Rule, which goes like this:   If your team's coach has been good but hasn't won it all yet, your team's coach never will win. 

The Schottenheimer Rule is nonsense made up by people who are frustrated that their team hasn't won.   It's an attempt to make it seem like there is some logic to their desire to scapegoat the head coach.  

If the Bills and the Niners fire their head coaches today, those two would be, BY FAR, the two best coaches available in the head coaching market over the past five years.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Come on this is you making excuses for Buffalo’s wins in n the playoffs and justifying another coach who hasn’t done much more than McDermott. You like Shanahan better which is fine, but to make it sound like he is some world beater compared to McDermott is way off the mark 

Kyle Shannahan has been to 4 NFC championship games. 

Has beaten a MVP Rodgers twice ,  Cousins, Dak , Goff & a young gun in Love . 

Mcd has beaten in the playoffs

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer

Skyler Want to go home Thompson

Lamar IS IT STILL THE REGULAR SEASON JACKSON! 

Phillip Can't DeRivers! 

Wow Mcd your the man! 

Please nobody ever compare Shanny to Mcd! At least Shanny been to Superbowls to be critiqued for

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Can you point to the part of 13 seconds when JA failed to produce in a pressure situation?

We punted 4 times that game, KC only punted twice.

Just now, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Yeah and he was the first to do that while being minus on the scoreboard threw out the year! 

That’s coaching baby. Tomlin’s made a career being a bum team that has no business making the playoffs and against all odds, doing it. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s coaching baby. Tomlin’s made a career being a bum team that has no business making the playoffs and against all odds, doing it. 

If u wanna call that some big accomplishment then have at it bud! 

I think it would make too much sense to hire an offensive minded head who has proven he can take a team to the superbowl.And it some ways it feels like we'd be getting our Andy Reid this time around because he'd finally be paired with a true franchise QB and top 10 NFL player in Allen.

But not going to like, if the Bills do move on from McDivisional after the 2024 season and Belichik is still out there and wants to coach I just can't pass up taking a guy whose been to a combined 11 superbowls and won 8 of them as a head coach and assistant. Defense does still matter and that's never been a problem with him even post Brady in Foxboro. So take a Belichik defense + Josh Allen and I think you do have a formula to beat Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs and win a championship or 2 in the near term since it obviously wouldn't be a long term proposition given Belichik's age and probably 3 or 4 year window at best.

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Lets fire the guy that does not get it done for the guy that does not get it done.

Exactly!

Some need to think about how difficult it has been for ANY team to beat the Kansas City Chiefs over the last five years.

2019 won SB

2020 lost SB The Buffalo Bills playing in KC lost 17-26 in the regular season. lost the conference championship 24-38 in KC

2021 lost conference. Buffalo beat the Chiefs 38-20 regular season. Buffalo lost the divisional round in OT 36-42

2022 won SB. Buffalo beat the Chiefs 24-20 in KC.

2023 won SB Buffalo beat KC 20-17 in KC. Buffalo lost to KC in Buffalo 27-24.

KC has been in the SB for four of the last 5 years. The Buffalo Bills lost 4x and won 3x against the Chiefs.

Buffalo is very close to the level of the Kansas City Chiefs and if not for injuries to the defense in 2022 and 2023 Buffalo might have been in one of those SB's. This last game the Bills were starting an LBer off the street and so many players nicked up and injured on that defense. Not to mention that the Buffalo starting #1 WR has gone nearly invisible in the playoffs the last two years.  

I sincerely have no idea why so many Buffalo Bills fans are ready to give up on a coaching staff that is so close to getting this team to a Super Bowl. 

Not only have the KC Chiefs won 3 of the last 5 SBs. They have been the very best team in the NFL over the last 5 years in keeping every team but one in the AFC out of the SB. KC has been the best team in the NFL over the last five years. Alas, nothing lasts forever. 

Have some faith...have some patience! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If you're going to get rid of McDermott because he couldn't beat Kansas City, why would you replace him with a guy who got fired because he couldn't beat Kansas City?  It's silly.  

Except for the fans of these teams, everyone thinks Shanahan and McDermott are two of the very best coaches in the league.  The only reason to replace them seems to be that some people have created in their minds something I'll call the Schottenheimer Rule, which goes like this:   If your team's coach has been good but hasn't won it all yet, your team's coach never will win. 

The Schottenheimer Rule is nonsense made up by people who are frustrated that their team hasn't won.   It's an attempt to make it seem like there is some logic to their desire to scapegoat the head coach.  

If the Bills and the Niners fire their head coaches today, those two would be, BY FAR, the two best coaches available in the head coaching market over the past five years.  

This isn't a Schottenheimer rule this is real life. Mcd hasn't beaten anyone in the playoffs worth a damn and when he plays a great QB his schemes get eaten like a Bully takes kids lunches at school for a whopping 36.5 pts per game. This isn't an illusion or a figment of our imagination Mcd is not the answer. Just last yr after the Bengals game players on there offense was telling the media how easy it was to beat Mcd defense and they knew exactly what we were doing. I don't know about you but with those numbers 36.5 pts a game against and those words backing those numbers up seems to me like we have a serious coaching problem and hopefully it gets addressed next off-season.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

If your take of Josh's performance is he was not good because they had to punt 4 times then lets just agree to disagree. 

27/39 329 yards, 4TD's no INT's  11 carries 68 yards.   2 TD's in the final two minutes including one with 13 seconds left...you know not making plays when it counts.

7 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

All speculation but an interesting angle if both McDermott and Shanahan leave their respective teams after next season. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/will-kyle-shanahan-eventually-need-a-fresh-start

I doubt it. That makes a little too much sense.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If your take of Josh's performance is he was not good because they had to punt 4 times then lets just agree to disagree. 

27/39 329 yards, 4TD's no INT's  11 carries 68 yards.   2 TD's in the final two minutes including one with 13 seconds left...you know not making plays when it counts.

He was great. He wasn’t perfect.

24 minutes ago, Gregg said:

2018 AFC championship game at Arrowhead.  Pats 37 Chiefs 31. Just saying if you are looking for a coach to beat Reid in a big spot.

Yeah, look at all those NFL teams needing a new HC passing on that guy...

Most of the world has come to realize that most of the success of those Patriots teams comes back to the QB who left NE and went to TB and WON another SB with them.

10 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

seems to me like we have a serious coaching problem and hopefully it gets addressed next off-season.

Okay, we'll call this Corollary One to the Schottenheimer Rule - If one part of the team hasn't performed in the past, that part of the team will continue not to perform in the future unless the coach is changed.  It's the same thing.   You're assuming that the future will be the same as the past, and that the people responsible for the past cannot improve.  

People change and get better at their jobs all the time, year after year.  

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Okay, we'll call this Corollary One to the Schottenheimer Rule - If one part of the team hasn't performed in the past, that part of the team will continue not to perform in the future unless the coach is changed.  It's the same thing.   You're assuming that the future will be the same as the past, and that the people responsible for the past cannot improve.  

People change and get better at their jobs all the time, year after year.  

That's why he has next yr if he doesn't get better do u agree we need an upgrade at that point. Let's say we lose again 31-28 in playoffs u keeping him. ? 

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

That's why he has next yr if he doesn't get better do u agree we need an upgrade at that point. Let's say we lose again 31-28 in playoffs u keeping him. ? 

No, I don't agree.   Coaches improve year after year.   McDermott is way, way up the learning curve, and he's 49 years old.  Pete Carroll didn't win the Super Bowl until he was 63.  When he was 49, he was fired after three dismal seasons as head coach of the Patriots - Bill Belichick almost immediately turned the team into a winner.   Pete Carroll learned a lot between age 49 and age 63, and McDermott will.  

The only difference between McDermott and whomever the Bills might hire to replace him is that the guy they hire will have to learn more than McDermott has to learn to succeed.   

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Give Mcd Brock Purdy and see what world he'll live in! 😂

Does he get the rest of the San Fran roster too? Because we saw who Brock Purdy was when Williams, Deebo and McCaffrey missed 3 games didn't we? And that was with Aiyuk and George Kittle and all those guys on defense. 

4 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Give Shannahan a Josh Allen and he wouldn't be able to afford McCaffrey, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk and their Defense, The things that have made SF the best in the NFC.

But the Bills don't have any of those guys.  Kyle would simply bring in talent to fit his system.  

Josh is of the caliber where he can elevate the guys around him.  

39 minutes ago, BattlinBill said:

And yet another McDermott thread......

I just checked in to see if “it” has been defined. Does he have to win the SB? Is once enough? Does he have to cover the spread?  

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If I was starting a team, I would want Shanahan over McDermott but I respect both of them as frankly great coaches.   My post was snarky/sarcastic in that Shanahan is in a similar position, sure he has made 2 SB's in SF but you have to win.   He had leads in both and failed to close.  Was that all him?  No I don't think so but this board would not stand for losing super bowl's.  Getting there is not the goal, you have to win it and in that way Shanahan and McDermott are similar.  Heck they have both been beaten by Mahomes and Reid more than once in the playoffs in close games.

No doubt, it's not good enough to just get there, but we know that he can and with various talent at the QB position.  

It would be a promising outlook.

44 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Yeah, look at all those NFL teams needing a new HC passing on that guy...

Most of the world has come to realize that most of the success of those Patriots teams comes back to the QB who left NE and went to TB and WON another SB with them.

Bill's defense also played a part in those Super Bowls. Like the 13-3 win over the Rams. Was it the whopping 13 points they put up or Bill's D shutting the door and holding them to 3 points. Or even the 20-17 win against the Rams in the Pats first Super Bowl win. How about the INT at the end the Super Bowl against the Seahawks that preserved the win. How about making in game adjustments against the Falcons when they fell behind 28-3 only to shut them out the rest of the way so the Pats could come back and win in OT 34-28. Brady was a huge part of the dynasty but so was Bill.

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

McDermott will be here long past the point in which no wants him here. It doesn't matter if he misses the playoffs next year. I hate everything I just said but it's how I see Terry managing this. 

I agree with you if they have another winning season where they win the division and get back to the divisional round again. But missing the playoffs. I don't know about that. Terry is getting ready to ask Bills fans to dig deeper into their wallets for season and individual tickets as well as PSL fees as 2026 isn't that far off. He doesn't want a bad team going into the new place. The stadium will buy Terry a year. Bills fans will be curious to check the place out and see everything the new stadium offers. Once the "new-ness" of the place fades then good luck to Terry selling tickets with a bad team.

Edited by Gregg

9 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

All speculation but an interesting angle if both McDermott and Shanahan leave their respective teams after next season. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/will-kyle-shanahan-eventually-need-a-fresh-start

Pegula loves McD…therefore, McD isn’t going anywhere. Not this year, next year or the years after that.

Edited by LabattBlue

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.