If McDermott doesn’t get it done, would the Bills bring in Shanahan if he left SF after next season?

The 9 Isles

All speculation but an interesting angle if both McDermott and Shanahan leave their respective teams after next season. 

Chiefs coach Andy Reid got a fresh start, albeit after 14 seasons with the Eagles. Shanahan already has seven years with the 49ers, and he has lost two Super Bowls. At what point will it be in his best interests, and/or the team’s best interests, to have a reboot?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/will-kyle-shanahan-eventually-need-a-fresh-start

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Listen man, if they cut ties with McDermott I’d like to say no to Shanny personally. If you’re going with a guy because of the success they’ve had in this league you go after the dark emperor if his year off makes him want to return to the league…

I think Kyle is a good coach but that team is in a huge hole and lacking resources because of his requests to Lynch for acquisitions. They built a team for the past 3 years after their SB failure and never managed to get back until now. 2/3 years from now if the wheels start coming off and they can’t retain key players then is when Kyle Shannahan becomes available. 

To build a perennial contender, or dynasty in some cases, you keep your best assets of the future which is draft picks while trying not to splash of every shiny toy that is made available. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Not while the Pegulas are our owners. Shanahan tanked his interview here in 2015 when they hired Rex. They hated him.

Perhaps because the douche bag apple  never fell very far from the douche bag tree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Listen man, if they cut ties with McDermott I’d like to say no to Shanny personally. If you’re going with a guy because of the success they’ve had in this league you go after the dark emperor if his year off makes him want to return to the league…

I think Kyle is a good coach but that team is in a huge hole and lacking resources because of his requests to Lynch for acquisitions. They built a team for the past 3 years after their SB failure and never managed to get back until now. 2/3 years from now if the wheels start coming off and they can’t retain key players then is when Kyle Shannahan becomes available. 

To build a perennial contender, or dynasty in some cases, you keep your best assets of the future which is draft picks while trying not to splash of every shiny toy that is made available. 

I'll take the Dark Emperor or Shanny Jr. We know Belichek has the formula for winning titles and he'll have his franchise QB in Josh . Shanny Jr would also be amazing considering he's never had a QB in the realm of Josh Allen and it would be crazy to see what he can cook up with v this offense. Either one would be a massive upgrade over McClappy! 

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Lets fire the guy that does not get it done for the guy that does not get it done.

At least the other guy that doesn't get it done doesn't have a all world QB and has gone to 2 Superbowls without one. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

At least the other guy that doesn't get it done doesn't have a all world QB and has gone to 2 Superbowls without one. 

Swap the two teams divisions and leave everything else untouched the Bills have been to multiple Superbowls and the 9ers haven't made any.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Swap the two teams divisions and leave everything else untouched the Bills have been to multiple Superbowls and the 9ers haven't made any.

Maybe maybe not. What's been proven is Kyle has taken 2 average at best QBs to the Superbowl. U can't play the what if game with that. Kyle is too me a heck of a lot better coach then Mcd is or ever will be. 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I'll take the Dark Emperor or Shanny Jr. We know Belichek has the formula for winning titles and he'll have his franchise QB in Josh . Shanny Jr would also be amazing considering he's never had a QB in the realm of Josh Allen and it would be crazy to see what he can cook up with v this offense. Either one would be a massive upgrade over McClappy! 

Fair point about the QB but at the same time will he bring McCaffrey, Bosa, Samuel, Kittle, and many other blue chip players with him?   Their roster is better than the Bills outside of QB IMO.   Also my opinion:  Neither will be moving on so its a moot point but I will say if Shanahan was available I would consider it, just dont see it happening.  There is only one thing for this team to accomplish and whoever comes here will be "fired" by many in the fan base unless they accomplish that thing.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Agree 1

Gunner do u realize the Bills last 3 wins in the playoffs were against Rudolph, Thompson and Mac Jones? Mof who has Mcd beaten ? Rivers playing in last game which btw we almost lost that game and Lamar the regular season Champ of QBs ? Mcd ain't promised nothing in any conference when he struggles to beat the Thompson's and Old man Rivers of the world.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Gunner do u realize the Bills last 3 wins in the playoffs were against Rudolph, Thompson and Mac Jones? Mof who has Mcd beaten ? Rivers playing in last game which btw we almost lost that game and Lamar the regular season Champ of QBs ? Mcd ain't promised nothing in any conference when he struggles to beat the Thompson's and Old man Rivers of the world.

Reid struggle to beat the Bills....I know that is snarky and does not matter because Reid wins SB's but my point is that they are not getting their doors blown off.  SO its true the Bills had close games they won...the point is they count.  THey also have close games against one of the best dynasties in the history of the league.....in that case close does not count right?  You cant have it both ways either close is not good or all that matters is if you win.  NFL playoffs are single elimination and a play here or there is the difference vs the Chiefs.  The Bills with McDermott can beat that team.

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Of course I realise that. Our problem is largely we can't get past Mahomes. Kyle Shanahan has the same problem just two rounds later. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Fair point about the QB but at the same time will he bring McCaffrey, Bosa, Samuel, Kittle, and many other blue chip players with him?   Their roster is better than the Bills outside of QB IMO.   Also my opinion:  Neither will be moving on so its a mute point but I will say if Shanahan was available I would consider it, just dont see it happening.  There is only one thing for this team to accomplish and whoever comes here will be "fired" by many in the fan base unless they accomplish that thing.  

I don't think he'll be available as well but while we're discussing it. I wouldn't mind seeing what Shanny can do with Diggs, Skakir, Kincaid as well as Knox and Cook . Ntm Josh Fn Allen !.  Shanny has to take some credit for those weapons that the 49ers have because he was there when they basically added all those talents. So he would definitely add some more firepower to ours. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course I realise that. Our problem is largely we can't get past Mahomes. Kyle Shanahan has the same problem just two rounds later. 

Your missing the point he doesn't have a Josh Allen. Man it's basically a miracle what he's done with Purdy not many coaches can pull that off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Your missing the point he doesn't have a Josh Allen. Man it's basically a miracle what he's done with Purdy not many coaches can pull that off. 

I am not missing anything. Kyle is a great offensive mind. He might be the best offensive schemer of all time. But he has blown double digit leads in three Superbowls now with baffling play calling and is without doubt benefitting from being in the weaker conference. He is a good coach who hasn't yet found a way to win a Lombardi. So is Sean McDermott.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not missing anything. Kyle is a great offensive mind. He might be the best offensive schemer of all time. But he has blown double digit leads in three Superbowls now with baffling play calling and is without doubt benefitting from being in the weaker conference. He is a good coach who hasn't yet found a way to win a Lombardi. So is Sean McDermott.

There not the same not at all. Kyle has actually beaten really good teams in the playoffs unlike McClappy. Stop trying to paint them with the same brush. I don't care what conference there in. Didn't Cinny go into KC and beat them? Didn't The DC Lou Amurilo shut the Chiefs down in the 2nd half and overtime of that game? Do u believe Cinny is some juggernaut defense that's more talented then the Bills? What makes u think the Bills would've beaten the Rams or even Detroit this yr? Why because Mcd is a frontrunner that's had the fortune of beating nobody's and has beens in his time here in the playoffs . Lamar Jackson was Mcd shinning moment as a Bills coach to bad he shares that moment with other teams like Tennessee or the Chargers because they beat Lamar in the playoffs as well. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There not the same not at all. Kyle has actually beaten really good teams in the playoffs unlike McClappy. Stop trying to paint them with the same brush. I don't care what conference there in. Didn't Cinny go into KC and beat them? Didn't The DC Lou Amurilo shut the Chiefs down in the 2nd half and overtime of that game? Do u believe Cinny is some juggernaut defense that's more talented then the Bills? What makes u think the Bills would've beaten the Rams or even Detroit this yr? Why because Mcd is a frontrunner that's had the fortune of beating nobody's and has beens in his time here in the playoffs . Lamar Jackson was Mcd shinning moment as a Bills coach to bad he shares that moment with other teams like Tennessee or the Chargers because they beat Lamar in the playoffs as well. 

Okay rant away. But the truth is they both keep getting beat by Mahomes in the post season

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree with this, Purdy would suck in almost any other offense IMO.

2 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

All speculation but an interesting angle if both McDermott and Shanahan leave their respective teams after next season. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/will-kyle-shanahan-eventually-need-a-fresh-start

Well let's put it this way, if McD quit after next season & Kyle did too at the same time & the Bills meaning Beane & the Pegs didn't go after him i would stop being a Bills fan that would just be foolish on all counts ! 

There aren't many other coaches like Shannahan out there no matter (despite the thoughts of Bills Mafia) what some think about him "Not being able to get over the hump" or "He can't win the big game" as the Mafia says he is one of the absolute best coaches in the NFL and if in this scenario he should be on super speed dial for both Beane & Pegs !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

If the goal is to beat Reid/Mahomes, getting the guy who has lost two Super Bowls to Reid/Mahomes is probably not the right answer.

Thinking that way after Marv lost the 4 in a row do you think another team back then wouldn't have snatched him up if he didn't retire & with that thought Polian would have never had a SB under his belt either .

We never know what the future holds for these coaches look at Gruden if not for what Dungee handed him he would have never won the big game !!  

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Makes perfect sense to fire McDermott because he can’t beat Reid and Mahomes only to hire another coach that can’t beat Reid and Mahomes.

They should fire McDermott and hire one of the many coaches who regularly beat Reid and Mahomes.

Edited by Billl
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Lets fire the guy that does not get it done for the guy that does not get it done.

Shanahan hasn't gotten it done yet, but his offenses have gone to 3 Super Bowls.  2 of them with Garopollo and a 2nd year QB that was the last pick in the draft.

Give Kyle a Josh Allen and see what happens.  I guarantee that elusive Allen MVP is as good as won.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Shanahan hasn't gotten it done yet, but his offenses have gone to 3 Super Bowls.  2 of them with Garopollo and a 2nd year QB that was the last pick in the draft.

Give Kyle a Josh Allen and see what happens.  I guarantee that elusive Allen MVP is as good as won.

Give Shannahan a Josh Allen and he wouldn't be able to afford McCaffrey, Deebo, Kittle, Aiyuk and their Defense, The things that have made SF the best in the NFC.

• Agree 2

Would I take a great offensive coach who does a lot of dumb **** over a good defensive coach who does a lot of dumb ****? Yes but would prefer neither.

Who knows, maybe if Shanahan has Allen he doesn't throw away 50 seconds +1 TO at the end of the first half, or isn't afraid to "answer" Mahomes in OT. 

4 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Reid struggle to beat the Bills....I know that is snarky and does not matter because Reid wins SB's but my point is that they are not getting their doors blown off.  SO its true the Bills had close games they won...the point is they count.  THey also have close games against one of the best dynasties in the history of the league.....in that case close does not count right?  You cant have it both ways either close is not good or all that matters is if you win.  NFL playoffs are single elimination and a play here or there is the difference vs the Chiefs.  The Bills with McDermott can beat that team.

What in the world do you think is going to happen in 2024.  McD and Beane have had their chances to beat KC when it counts in the post season and they have not gotten it done!  The regular season wins over KC mean jack ****!!   We are drowning in CAP space heading into 2024.  We are losing two safeties, our CB's have failed cover KC's TE & receivers in recent playoff game loses to them.  We are going to be losing more FA players to this CAP space situation and still you think we can beat this team.  Tyler Bass is terrible and a liability now, Von Miller is damn money pit and bordeline being the biggest FA signing bust in Bills history.  We have no true WR #2 or #3.  Shakir has yet to prove he can be one of these players, not enough sample size on him yet and he is a undersized WR, which does not bode well for durability.  Gabe will not be back.  Diggs lastest attitude and statements do not inspire hope in 2024, he was MIA in this years playoffs and dropped a pass he should have made to make a game changing & deciding play against KC. His commitment to this team at this point is questionable.  Our D-Line and LB's still cant sack a QB in the playoffs when matters & you have to pressure the QB.  Our LB depth is a serious issue to be resolved in 2024.

Buffalo against KC in our playoff game this year could not stop KC at all.  KC had 8 "20yd or more pass plays" we had ZERO against them.  Our longest pass play was 15 yards and we only had two of these plays.   We still could not even sniff Mchomes on a pressure for a sack.  We had zero sacks.  We only gave them 7 posessions on offense and they as a team averaged close to 8 yards per play and we could not even average close to 5 yards per play. 

I have said it before to beat the best, you have to play at your best.  We don't have the best head coach or coaching staff to beat Andy Reid when it matters in the playoff's.   JA17 still does not get it, that you have to make the correct throwing descisions when the game is on the line, and he failed to do this again this year.  Until JA17 learns how to make the critical throw to a WR when its required on the field and when the game is on the line,  he is also to blame for these loses.   Still to this day JA has proven he can not do it in the playoffs against KC and also Cinci, when they needed to have a critical play to win the game.  It has not happened for JA17.  Patrick Mahomes has proven over and over he can do this.

Buffalo in 2024 will be like watching a dog and pony show,  when it comes to players that will be coming and going.  We don't have any idea what this roster will look like this year mainly because of the CAP forcing a higher player turnover for 2024.

Just adding some more flame throwing material here.  Beane and McD decided it was best waste $138.52 million on Von Miller who was quite frankly on the down side of his career anyway,  for the possibility of maybe getting 10 regular season sacks and just a couple of playoff sacks.  Josh Allen is in his prime and has just need better players surrounding him.

They had the chance to put a MVP caliber offensive weapons along side Josh twice,  McD and Beane failed to do so. Instead of the wasted $138 million they paid to Von Miller. 

1) DeAndre Hopkins

2) Christian McCaffrey

Beane and McD will never contribute or win this team a SB.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Come on this is you making excuses for Buffalo’s wins in n the playoffs and justifying another coach who hasn’t done much more than McDermott. You like Shanahan better which is fine, but to make it sound like he is some world beater compared to McDermott is way off the mark 

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

If I was starting a team, I would want Shanahan over McDermott but I respect both of them as frankly great coaches.   My post was snarky/sarcastic in that Shanahan is in a similar position, sure he has made 2 SB's in SF but you have to win.   He had leads in both and failed to close.  Was that all him?  No I don't think so but this board would not stand for losing super bowl's.  Getting there is not the goal, you have to win it and in that way Shanahan and McDermott are similar.  Heck they have both been beaten by Mahomes and Reid more than once in the playoffs in close games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.