The 1970's

Help me make some sense of this decade   

Most everything involved a fist-fight or trucker with CB's 

Junkyard black men, white old-guys with certain chairs, 

glam-rock, the gaddamn eagles, Blondie, REO Speedwagon

MASH, Barnaby Jones, cocaine, pot, quaaludes, bell-bottoms, chest-hair and gold chains, Supertramp, Chico and the Man, The Rockford Files, 

Camaros with 86 HP

the oil crunch, gas lines, Billy Beer, the ayatollah khomeini

The Clash. The Sex Pistols, The Jam.  Turtle-neck sweaters and platform shoes. 

I was born in '71.  I was just an innocent kid.   

Was born in 1960. All I can tell you is that the 70s and 80s were a great time to be growing up. I was recently reminiscing with a childhood friend, and he stated "at the time, we didn’t know how good we had it." He was 100% spot on. Use the Google machine to find more info about the greatness of that time. 😉

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I hear more songs from the 70s in advertising and media than any other decade.  Do decades even have tangible 'sounds' anymore? 

Yes.

Then give it another 30-40 years and floodgates of the 1950s/60s will open when things enter public domain.  Early Disney ***** from the 1920s is already hitting public domain.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It's the control of ideas and controlled socialization with others.  There's no longer room for the risky idea.  Or the perhaps stupid idea.  There's no longer many venues to share ideas in person.  

Next to no government or corporate overlords in the 1960s....then the 1970s it slowly ratchets.  You get a little more control in the 1980s, little more in the 1990s.  A slow ratchet that really took off after 9/11 and overheated with Covid.    

As you reflect on the present, the "idea" is heavily controlled by the government and corporations where every idea in products, news, entertainment, politics is deliberately there for your consumption.  The idea *must* generate a profit or influence you in one way or another.  They also prefer you not socializing - just sit in your house and get all of your entertainment and products sent to you.  

Whatever happened to:

One hit wonders? 

Stupid music videos?

Indie movies? 

Stupid cars like the Pontiac Aztek? 

Why hasn't Tastykake produced any new snack in 30 years?  

Where to socialize?  Dance clubs, bowling alleys, roller skating, the mall - all dead.  

Local news is largely dead - it's mostly AP (heavily controlled) wire crap.

There is no way ol' Tay Tay is as big of a star as she is today in any previous decade.  She's the star she is today because corporate America has eliminated nearly all of the competition.  She makes them a ton of money and in return, there's no indie star out there that has any potential to eclipse her.  Corporate America needs a new Britney so they are force feeding Tate McRae out on the airwaves.  

The Cyber Truck IMO is a stupid idea, but it only exists because Elon Musk is throwing his F-You money at it.   It is very unlikely the K-Car, Ford Taurus or the Dodge Minivan would be made today because both cars were "crazy" ideas in US car making circles at the time.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

MASH, Barnaby Jones, cocaine, pot, quaaludes, bell-bottoms, chest-hair and gold chains, Supertramp, Chico and the Man, The Rockford Files, 

Camaros with 86 HP

As a child of the 70s (born in the last year of the Baby Boom in the 60s), I must applaud you for this list. You generally nailed it.

Just one correction: those ridiculously underpowered Camaros were really a thing of the 80s.

PJ O'Rourke said the 60s were a "decade without quality control." The line was good, but it applied to the 70s, not the 60s.

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

As a child of the 70s (born in the last year of the Baby Boom in the 60s), I must applaud you for this list. You generally nailed it.

Just one correction: those ridiculously underpowered Camaros were really a thing of the 80s.

PJ O'Rourke said the 60s were a "decade without quality control." The line was good, but it applied to the 70s, not the 60s.

Don't underestimate the infancy of the Z/28

Then the IROC-Z of the 1980s.

IROC Camaro:

Italian######OutCrusin' 😆 

A little later into 1980s:

1986-chevrolet-camaro-iroc

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In the 60s, yes.

The 70s were with marginally better QC, but backwater college educated accountants were holding the purse strings.  The GM 'X' car (Chevrolet Citation). 🤨

And according to the Magliozzi brothers from 'Car Talk', most of the Camaros on the road were powered by L-6 engines, owned by women named Donna. (Pronounced 'Dawww-nah', in that inimitable Boston accent.)

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

In the 60s, yes.

The 70s were with marginally better QC, but backwater college educated accountants were holding the purse strings.  The GM 'X' car (Chevrolet Citation). 🤨

And according to the Magliozzi brothers from 'Car Talk', most of the Camaros on the road were powered by L-6 engines, owned by women named Donna. (Pronounced 'Dawww-nah', in that inimitable Boston accent.)

My first car was a hand me down Pontiac Phoenix - the same car as that Chevy Citation with a different name plate. What a piece of crap. (But better than no car at all)

On 2/5/2024 at 5:51 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Camaros with 86 HP

I was born in 1971 as well!  

And YES, as funny as it sounds, "truckers" and 18 wheelers and CBs were a thing.

You had Smokey and the Bandit and also the goofy TV show "BJ and the Bear" which I loved at the time!

LOL

I remember being into big rigs and getting excited when I saw a cool one on the highway.

I would always do the "arm pump" move and get the driver to blow the horn.

I LOVED the '70s and think about how much the world has changed now all the time.

It was a lot simpler back then.

Lots of fun memories being thrown into the back of a Ford LTD country squire wagon with about 7 other kids and going places...having fun.

No one seemed to think about crash protection or seatbelts.

My mom smoked and drank throughout her pregnancy with me!

Her doctor told her drinking would help calm her down and avoid morning sickness...

Makes me laugh.

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My first car was a hand me down Pontiac Phoenix - the same car as that Chevy Citation with a different name plate. What a piece of crap. (But better than no car at all)

I learned to drive in what might be the worst car ever made....a 1979 Chevrolet Malibu Classic Estate wagon.

It had a 5 liter V8 that made literally NO POWER...the back seat side windows did not go down!  No mechanism for it, to make you pay more for AC.  It had simulated wood paneling on the sides of the vehicle, which was a sticker and peeling off all over the place.

The interior was burgundy but all the plastics, fabrics, and materials had no UV protection so they were all turning various colors of purple and it was like burgundy/purple/fuchsia marble blend of colors all over the dash, controls, door panels, and so on.

You could drive in a straight line and put one hand on the wheel at 2 o'clock, and then move it over to 10 o'clock and NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN....the car still went straight.

I can go on..

I vowed at a young age never to buy an American car and haven't even come close to violating that law yet, at age 53.

Those criminal bastards (Big 3) made me into a lifelong non-customer.

Good job guys!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/5/2024 at 12:34 PM, Augie said:

They made a show about the 70’s. I forget what they called it.   

😋

Kurtwood Smith showed up at my house a couple months ago. That was weird.

I was so awestruck that I totally forgot to ask him to call me a dumb-ass and get it on video. That would have been epic.

The irony of the 1970s is that there was pretty substantial danger lurking out there.

Lead paint.  Please don't eat it.

Seat belts?  Air bags?

Let's smoke in the mall.  In the hospital.  In our living room with the kids around.

DDT kills mosquitos.  And humans.

Asbestos in schools

Serial killers

Kidnappers (Chowchilla)

Airplane crashes - Before 9/11, the Tenerife disaster on March 27, 1977 had the largest loss of life, and the 1979 crash of AA 191 was the deadliest crash in the US.

• Haha (+1) 1

I was born in 1973, and this is what I remember!

Carbon charge machines

mimeograph machines

film projectors in school

party line phone

8 track players

LED TI calculator

10 cent pay phone

No A/C in cars

roller rinks

disco music

black and while TVs

cabinet TVs

Space Invaders in a cabinet

Big ties and collars (my dad wore them)

Vitalis

Old Leather

Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, All in the Family and Land of the Lost on TV

Early pinball machines before electronics

Fondue pot

The Vega and the Duster (cars)

Smoking on the airplane

Burger Chef!

My Dad's 1977 Ford pickup truck with CB and Radio Shack Archer speaker system

Movies like The Private Eyes and The Black Hole in the theater

There are a few that some of you will probably be like OHHH YEAH, I REMEMBER!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

I was so awestruck that I totally forgot to ask him to call me a dumb-ass and get it on video. That would have been epic.

Forgive my being nosy, but why?

• Like (+1) 1

Born in 1957, so the 70s was my HS and college years.

OJ's 2000 yard season.

Remember Led Zeppelin, Yes and many other bands being new bands.

Watching the Watergate hearings  for social studies class.

The  beginnings of cable TV.

Watching hard R movies on the cable after HBO went off the air at about midnight.

(We'd get beers and go to my friend's house (who had cable)).

Watching people play PacMan  at the bar.

Seeing the 4th concert at Rich Stadium (Ozark Mountain Daredevils/ Doobie Brothers/Chicago).

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

You're a dumbass! 😀

• Thank you (+1) 1

Evel Knievel was the coolest guy on the planet.

Burt Reynolds was the biggest movie star in the world. Could have gotten just about any role he wanted but made some really bad movie choices.  

Paul Williams, a songwriter for "The Carpenters " was everywhere. 

So was Howard Cosell.

Guys into rock music hated disco but went to discos because that's where all the hot girls were. 

Earth shoes.

Levi's button down shirts.

White carpenter pants.

Freaks were into hard drugs. Burnouts wished they could be freaks but all they could afford was cigarettes. 

Army jackets were very popular among burnouts.

In high school, most guys were called by their last name.

The anti-drug slogan: "Drugs are for those can't handle reality" was change to: "Reality is for those who can't handle drugs."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Forgive my being nosy, but why?

My friend's wife wanted to throw a surprise birthday party for him, and asked me if we could use my place.  I said "sure."

I never thought to ask how many guests were coming or who they were.  I figured it would be mainly friends we had in common.  

Well, my friend is a writer, and unbeknownst to me, he worked on a bunch of films back in the day and has kept in touch with many of the people he worked with, all of whom were evidently invited to the party. So a stream of bizarre Hollywood folks showed up at my house, including "Red Foreman".

Craziest was when the T1000 rolled up on a Harley.  We chatted about motorcycles for a while.  That was pretty surreal.

19 hours ago, Wacka said:

You're a dumbass! 😀

Thanks, but somehow it doesn't hit the same....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

My friend's wife wanted to throw a surprise birthday party for him, and asked me if we could use my place.  I said "sure."

I never thought to ask how many guests were coming or who they were.  I figured it would be mainly friends we had in common.  

Well, my friend is a writer, and unbeknownst to me, he worked on a bunch of films back in the day and has kept in touch with many of the people he worked with, all of whom were evidently invited to the party. So a stream of bizarre Hollywood folks showed up at my house, including "Red Foreman".

Craziest was when the T1000 rolled up on a Harley.  We chatted about motorcycles for a while.  That was pretty surreal.

Thanks, but somehow it doesn't hit the same....

T-1000 aka John Doggett aka Robert Patrick?!  Dayum!

• Agree 1

I remember being legal to drink alcohol at age 18 in 1976 that was a benchmark.

I remember being the coat check girl at a Genesee county bar called "The Primitive Scene" and last call was "suffragette City" David Bowie

wamm bam thank u Ma'am 🙂

I met Gary Lewis from the Playboys at that place.  He totally hit on me like I was some cheap hussy I was aloof and thought what a DORK lol

The Rich stadium summer concerts were legend. I attended almost all of those.

Going to my first Bills game which was the first time MNF played in Rich stadium with my mother. (1973)

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Pet Rocks

Wooden Clogs

Awesome slang- you dig?

Funk, Punk, and Disco

Roller skating rinks

Afros

Playboy

Old time hockey, Eddie Shore

Spirit of 76

AND who can forget the ubiquitous Sabres Sabrejak in BFLo!

m_635d61391741be1b8b290e98.jpeg

https://poshmark.com/listing/Vintage-70s-Large-NHL-Hockey-Buffalo-Sabres-Sabrejak-Satin-Bomber-Button-Jacket-635d608cb3df3c3b2a7135fe

And Jim Schoenfeld's record album!

https://www.amazon.com/Schony-Jim-Schoenfeld/dp/B00411CRXM

😆

AND Josh is "Hollywood?"

ShoutOut: @Mike in Horseheads 😉

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Peoria, Illinois area band!

Still a group!

a band with a major hit can milk it for a long career.  ONE iconic hit song can make a career. Good for them!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND who can forget the ubiquitous Sabres Sabrejak in BFLo!

m_635d61391741be1b8b290e98.jpeg

https://poshmark.com/listing/Vintage-70s-Large-NHL-Hockey-Buffalo-Sabres-Sabrejak-Satin-Bomber-Button-Jacket-635d608cb3df3c3b2a7135fe

And Jim Schoenfeld's record album!

https://www.amazon.com/Schony-Jim-Schoenfeld/dp/B00411CRXM

😆

AND Josh is "Hollywood?"

ShoutOut: @Mike in Horseheads 😉

I’m a huge record collector and one thing I look for is oddball albums, such as those by sports figures.  I’ve been looking for Schoeny vinyl, so far I’m still looking.  Recently I acquire Shaquille ONeil - I’m so Awesome lol

• Like (+1) 1