Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

This whole thread could be submitted to Cold Takes Exposed.

@Beck Water and @H2o with early nominees. That reporter nailed everything. From the team, to the literal pick we landed.

IMG-8554.jpg

IMG-8553.jpg

Hmm but it is not the literal pick we landed, is it? I thought we got 2nd rounder in 2025 unfortunately.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

This whole thread could be submitted to Cold Takes Exposed.

@Beck Water and @H2o with early nominees. That reporter nailed everything. From the team, to the literal pick we landed.

IMG-8554.jpg

IMG-8553.jpg

I admit I was surprised by the trade. 

I stand by my take that @JohnCMark_  is a troll account and not, in fact, a beat reporter for the Miami Dolphins. If you want to "expose" that, provide evidence to the contrary.  He was right that we traded Diggs, and right about Houston interest (busted clock, right 2x day), but unfortunately quite wrong about the compensation.

I'm sure the Bills were interested in the Texans 2nd round pick, but according to Schefter that is not at all what they got -
 https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39866413/sources-bills-finalizing-trade-star-wr-stefon-diggs-texans
They got a #2 pick from 2025, which is likely to be lower IMHO.

It doesn't bother me to be wrong, or to own it when I am, but I don't think this is quite the "flex" you appear to believe it to be.  "Who is this clown" by H2o still appears to hold.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I stand by my take that @JohnCMark_  is a troll account

If it’s a troll account, then it’s one of the best guesses i’ve ever seen. Not just the team Diggs went to but ALSO the compensation. The odds of that guess are infinitesimal.

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Um, that was a lot less cryptic than many of his other messages.  It reads more like "you're about to do that experiment" vs. his earlier stuff.

only because you know the result.

many of his cryptic comments were similar in severity, but many posters excused those comments away for various reasons. We even had posters trying to excuse away his comment from yesterday that you’re talking about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I stand by my take that @JohnCMark_  is a troll account and not, in fact, a beat reporter for the Miami Dolphins. If you want to "expose" that, provide evidence to the contrary.  He was right that we traded Diggs, and right about Houston interest (busted clock, right 2x day), but unfortunately quite wrong about the compensation.

I'm sure the Bills were interested in the Texans 2nd round pick, but according to Schefter that is not at all what they got -
 https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39866413/sources-bills-finalizing-trade-star-wr-stefon-diggs-texans
They got a #2 pick from 2025, which is likely to be lower IMHO.

It doesn't bother me to be wrong, or to own it when I am, but I don't think this is quite the "flex" you appear to believe it to be.  "Who is this clown" by H2o still appears to hold.

Dying on the hill of “the comp wasn’t what we predicted” after 50 pages of your previous posts that are there for the world to read is quite sad.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Um, that was a lot less cryptic than many of his other messages.  It reads more like "you're about to do that experiment" vs. his earlier stuff.

In retrospect, sure. It was cryptic right up until the trade was announced. That’s sort of the definition of the term. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I will not individually embarrass them, but several of the posts of the Diggs' sycophants who steadfastly defended his "cryptic" social media posts and actions certainly did not age well.

How toxic must a player be for a team to trade him for a future second round pick and take such a cap hit.

Some of us tried to warn people.

Oh well, we move on . . . .  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Einstein said:

If it’s a troll account, then it’s one of the best guesses i’ve ever seen. Not just the team Diggs went to but ALSO the compensation. The odds of that guess are infinitesimal.

Just had time to sit down and calculate this.

So there are obviously 31 other NFL teams to which Diggs could potentially be traded. And each team has more or less a draft pick for each round, so lets assume 7 draft picks each. That's a total of 217 draft picks (31 teams * 7 picks each). 

1/31 * 1/217 (due to not knowing which teams draft pick) = 0.00014865467 

So that tweeter correctly guessing the right team and right round of the draft pick has a probability of 0.0149%.

Or if we assume they guess the right team first and then just have to guess the draft pick we have 1/31 * 1/7 = 0.00460829493 or 0.461%.

image.thumb.png.1f214df76ae0630961debb4f5606fc77.png

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

Diggs must have forgotten the last half of last season, where Allen played without a #1 WR because Diggs was stinking up the joint.

Shakir destroyed Diggs in that time span 

To be fair, Diggs def saw more attention from defenses but nonetheless, Shakir looked like WR1

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

When you're coming out with bangers like "Revolutionize the Kicking Game" - I can see why you'd want to try to get people to laugh at others.

This is why you shouldn’t take the board so seriously. 

If you can’t laugh at yourself for arguing adamantly for months about this for it to all come crashing down, what can I tell ya?

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

plz read this thread lmfao

Top 10 thread in TBD history 

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It doesn't bother me to be wrong, or to own it when I am …

As a non-Mod, perhaps. 😁

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If you can’t laugh at yourself for arguing adamantly for months about this for it to all come crashing down, what can I tell ya?

Oh trust me, I know i'm eating crow today. I've mentioned it a couple times already in other threads.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Remember when Diggs himself said "where there's smoke there's fire" in response to a question about trade rumors, and half the people in this thread said that that was nothing to worry about? Just the media inventing a controversy, apparently.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Remember when Diggs himself said "where there's smoke there's fire" in response to a question about trade rumors, and half the people in this thread said that that was nothing to worry about? Just the media inventing a controversy, apparently.

people only saw what they wanted to see: half of it.  Diggs is a two face and was playing on both sides of the fence.  One moment acting like he wanted to retire a Bill, then another saying stuff like that

Just now, HappyDays said:

Diggs could have started tweeting Zodiac Killer symbols and I have no doubt there would be homers in this thread saying "Well, that's really not that cryptic...

They wanted to get rid of him so bad they ate $31M and traded him in-conference to a playoff team.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

Just had time to sit down and calculate this.

So there are obviously 31 other NFL teams to which Diggs could potentially be traded. And each team has more or less a draft pick for each round, so lets assume 7 draft picks each. That's a total of 217 draft picks (31 teams * 7 picks each). 

1/31 * 1/217 (due to not knowing which teams draft pick) = 0.00014865467 

So that tweeter correctly guessing the right team and right round of the draft pick has a probability of 0.0149%.

Or if we assume they guess the right team first and then just have to guess the draft pick we have 1/31 * 1/7 = 0.00460829493 or 0.461%.

image.thumb.png.1f214df76ae0630961debb4f5606fc77.png

If you know the team that Diggs is going to, you have way better odds of guessing the pick than 1/31 * 1/7.  If you assume the pick is in either this or next year’s draft, then however many picks that team has in either draft (let’s say X), then without even knowing how to value NFL players, you have a 1/X chance.  And if you have any sense of a player’s value, then you can likely cross off many picks as being an option.

On 2/20/2024 at 4:39 PM, Gunsgoodtime said:

Diggs playoff performances has been replacement level.  I can't wait for the 2025 version of "Stephon Diggs Crytpic tweets, another teams problems"

Looks like I got my wish early 🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 2/5/2024 at 7:47 PM, FireChans said:

That's true.

Here's what Diggs said about his future with the Bills in 2022.

"I felt like my next spot was my last spot," Diggs said to the media after signing his extension. "I wanted it to be my home, and I didn't want to ever go anywhere. It was important to me especially in my first year and second year, you just kind of felt like you were building family."

Here's what Diggs said about his future with the Bills in 2024.

" I don't know, I feel like, as far as all of that with the money and all that type of stuff, I can't control none of that. I kind of put my hat on. It's a long offseason, and as far as what the future holds, I don't have any surprises for you right now."

Do these comments seem different to you? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

BONUS INFO:

Here's Diggs in Minnesota:

"But things soured between Diggs and Minnesota in the two years following, despite the receiver enjoying career-high production. Diggs was fined in October for missing Vikings meetings and practices, which preceded and inspired trade rumors that subsided but never really went away."

Wow, Diggs skipping meetings and missing practices?  That seems......kind of familiar.

Diggs negative comments in Minnesota circa 2019:

"I can't sit up here and say everything is okay, it's obviously not. What I can say at this point is just try to work through it."

Of course, Minnesota fans were twisting themselves into KNOTS that all was well with Diggs at that time. He's just a fiery guy!

And then, of course, Diggs backtracked:

#Vikings WR Stefon Diggs on his comments last week: "I never said I was unhappy or uncomfortable with my role. I said I wanted to win, that was what my frustrations were and that's where it kind of got misconstrued last week.''

Well, at least we know he later cleared the air and definitely wasn't traded in the offseason......

Here's the story of Diggs in TC this season:

“Diggs’ frustration is with his role in the offense and his voice in play-calling, per a league source close to the Bills’ locker room,” Volin wrote. “He was visibly agitated at Allen during the 27-10 playoff loss to the Bengals, stormed out of the locker room almost immediately after the game, and didn’t attend any voluntary workouts this offseason.”

Hmmmmm, kind of sounds familiar as well.

On 2/5/2024 at 8:05 PM, FireChans said:

I wasn't drawing a parallel between those two quotes. I was demonstrating what happened in Minnesota that Bills fans' have somehow memory-holed like Diggs didn't have his own media circus ending with his departure.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:28 PM, FireChans said:

So I guess I'm misunderstanding.  You don't think these comments out of Diggs are intentionally controversial, because you don't think they are controversial at all?

I guess the media disagrees because they all keep writing about it.

I don't know the Diggs camp intimately.  Like you said, he has history but you're misremembering. Diggs did NOT make enigmatic comments between 2020 and 2022. There's nothing there. Something changed in 2022. And there's his entire enigmatic press clippings prior to 2020 from his former team, where he eventually ended up traded, which he later admitted he wanted.

"The circumstances of Diggs' departure from the Vikings have been covered before. He wasn't happy with an increasingly run-focused offense. Relationships became frayed. Eventually, his actions (missing practice) and words (social media musings) gave way to the trade."

https://www.startribune.com/stefon-diggs-cover-story-sheds-light-on-vikings-departure/600002569/

So what we have here is a WR with a history of toeing the line of less than perfect behavior on social media and media in general to get moved from a place where he's unhappy.

Which is why ALL of the stuff over the last two years has BEEN a story. 

I don't know if Diggs wants out or not.  I do know he has ran a similar playbook to get out of Minnesota. I do know this song and dance with the media has gotten extremely old.

That's my take.

On 2/8/2024 at 6:44 PM, FireChans said:

I find the commitment to defending the honor of a player who has made a career of being, at the very least, annoying in his sound bites quite bizarre. 

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Shout out to this dude above who called it 2 months ago. an absolute tour du force of TBDing. This was my 13 seconds game as the QB, and it was some other posters who forgot to call a squib kick.

Edited by FireChans

14 minutes ago, QCity said:

Diggs could have started tweeting Zodiac Killer symbols and I have no doubt there would be homers in this thread saying "Well, that's really not that cryptic...

They wanted to get rid of him so bad they ate $31M and traded him in-conference to a playoff team.

One we are playing this season no less lol

6 hours ago, Peter said:

I will not individually embarrass them, but several of the posts of the Diggs' sycophants who steadfastly defended his "cryptic" social media posts and actions certainly did not age well.

How toxic must a player be for a team to trade him for a future second round pick and take such a cap hit.

Some of us tried to warn people.

Oh well, we move on . . . .  

I put a bunch of time into transcribing the Cosell interview on OBL.

Fundamentally, Cosell's take seems to be that he was not (what Cosell calls) a #1 WR in terms of Cold Hard Football Facts driven by watching tape at this time, and was not going to be able to live up to his contract with the Bills.

And Cosell's take is, that's what other teams see when they value him in a trade -a 30+, declining possession receiver.

There may have been stuff that happened within the building that was a factor, but I think it would be a naive take to view his social media posts as pivotal or even significant contributions to the decision to trade him.  Stuff like being a Captain but huffing out of the building after a playoff loss and refusing to talk to the media, may have contributed.  Stuff we don't know about, may very well have contributed.

Now if I were Diggs, I'd be sleeping with a transcript of what Cosell said under my pillow and reading it before every workout and every game, letting it fire me up and seeing what I could do to make him munch his words.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I put a bunch of time into transcribing the Cosell interview on OBL.

Fundamentally, Cosell's take seems to be that he was not (what Cosell calls) a #1 WR in terms of Cold Hard Football Facts driven by watching tape at this time, and was not going to be able to live up to his contract with the Bills.

And Cosell's take is, that's what other teams see when they value him in a trade -a 30+, declining possession receiver.

There may have been stuff that happened within the building that was a factor, but I think it would be a naive take to view his social media posts as pivotal or even significant contributions to the decision to trade him.  Stuff like being a Captain but huffing out of the building after a playoff loss and refusing to talk to the media, may have contributed.  Stuff we don't know about, may very well have contributed.

Now if I were Diggs, I'd be sleeping with a transcript of what Cosell said under my pillow and reading it before every workout and every game, letting it fire me up and seeing what I could do to make him munch his words.

Weren't you the want that posted that Diggs was screaming insults at Allen at halftime of games?  If that was not a one or two time occurence and Allen couldn't take care of it himself man to man, then the Bills had to either trade Diggs or Allen and clearly they weren't going to trade Allen.

5 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Weren't you the want that posted that Diggs was screaming insults at Allen at halftime of games?  If that was not a one or two time occurence and Allen couldn't take care of it himself man to man, then the Bills had to either trade Diggs or Allen and clearly they weren't going to trade Allen.

I got told at the end of the 2022 season that the Diggs - Allen relationship had broken down and they were barely on speaking terms. I don't think that was really the reason for the downturn in performance in late 2023 though, because the previous 12 months they had managed to co-exist successfully on the field. 

I think it is a combination of it all. The fact he was no longer best buds with his QB and had the explosive temper moments were sufferable while he was producing at the level he was up to halfway through 2023. Once that production disappeared it was no longer worth the wedge. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• SDS locked this topic