Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You didn't answer my question:
"Therefore, if the Bills trade Diggs and incur $3M more than the $27.8M cap hit he currently carries for being ON our roster as a very good WR available to play for the Bills, the best on the team last 4 years - we need to replace him.  How, and with whom, when we take our limited cap space and turn it into $3M less cap space?"

If I was Beane.. I make it known a 2 & 4 gets it done, and I’d listen if someone countered with a 2 & 5.. or just a 2 depending on how high. 

Then I draft two WR’s in the first 2 Rounds.

Ideal in a Super Bowl window year?  No, but I’m expecting Kincaid and Shakir to come into their own in Year 2 / Year 3 respectively.  A healthy Knox and the addition of Curtis Samuel should all make Allen’s life easier in the short to intermediate.

Then develop chemistry with your drafted outside guys + some Mack Hollins as the season goes on. 

RD1 - AD Mitchell

RD2 - Keon Coleman

(for example) 

At least we’re choosing one of the best WR classes in recent history to do this in.  

But if the return is anything less than a 2.. nah.. I’d need something back that allows me to reasonably double dip at the top end of the WR class. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You didn't answer my question:
"Therefore, if the Bills trade Diggs and incur $3M more than the $27.8M cap hit he currently carries for being ON our roster as a very good WR available to play for the Bills, the best on the team last 4 years - we need to replace him.  How, and with whom, when we take our limited cap space and turn it into $3M less cap space?"

I did. If Jerry (or anyone else) is willing to give us first round pick we just draft his replacement and it will cost us $6M more this year and will bring brutal ($20M+) cap savings next year. 

Again, I am not saying someone is actually offering 1st round pick or that rookie will be as good as Diggs but doing this is definitely an option.

8 hours ago, julian said:

You’re 100% correct, it’s obvious that Diggs hasn’t been right since the Bengals playoff loss. I think a segment of fans become more loyal to certain players than the organization.

He’s 30 years old, he hasn’t shown up in the playoffs and he’s expensive. I still think he’s a #1 in the league but IF the Bills decide to move him tomorrow I’m good with it.

Allen is going to have a few favourite targets over the span of his HOF career, Diggs was always on borrowed time.

Also note that Michael Lombardi on his latest GM shuffle episode said the Bills "wouldn't admit it, bit they'd be interested in moving Diggs".

It's his most recent episode and he makes reference to it at the very beginning of the pod. Sometimes Lombardi can be a little bit of a blowhard, but he definitely gets info from sources still.

I'm still pretty convinced Diggs will not be on this roster come September. How he's removed is uncertain, but I happen to think his time in Buffalo is over

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If I was Beane.. I make it known a 2 & 4 gets it done, and I’d listen if someone countered with a 2 & 5.. or just a 2 depending on how high. 

Ideal in a Super Bowl window year?  No, but I’m expecting Kincaid and Shakir to come into their own in Year 2 / Year 3 respectively.  A healthy Knox and the addition of Curtis Samuel should all make Allen’s life easier in the short to intermediate.

Then develop chemistry with your drafted outside guys + some Mack Hollins as the season goes on. 

RD1 - AD Mitchell

RD2 - Keon Coleman

(for example) 

At least we’re choosing one of the best WR classes in recent history to do this in.  

But if the return is anything less than a 2.. nah.. I’d need something back that allows me to reasonably double dip at the top end of the WR class. 

OK.  But if we double down on WR in the first two rounds of the draft, then we need to sign more FA at S and DL.

You say "Ideal in a SB window year?  No, but...." but it could leave the Bills offense kind of toothless - far less than ideal.  It would also leave the young WR with Mack Hollins and Khalil Shakir as the guys showing them how to get things done.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

OK.  But if we double down on WR in the first two rounds of the draft, then we need to sign more FA at S and DL.

You say "Ideal in a SB window year?  No, but...." but it could leave the Bills offense kind of toothless - far less than ideal.  It would also leave the young WR with Mack Hollins and Khalil Shakir as the guys showing them how to get things done.

Knowing our future cap is in better shape, I think we’d pull the levers on Oliver and say, extend Taron Johnson, allowing us to sign a Safety and a few rotational DL. 

Yup.. It would be a major overhaul.  Would be a Josh Allen rents a house in Cali and all the WR’s live with him for a few weeks type of summer.

Im just saying, if there was ever a draft class to pull this trigger and double dip early (only if the return is RD2, at least) this is the one. 

And I only think it’s done with Josh Allen’s blessing, so on the off chance it happens .. I’d think there truly is a fracture between them. 

15 minutes ago, Estro said:

Also note that Michael Lombardi on his latest GM shuffle episode said the Bills "wouldn't admit it, bit they'd be interested in moving Diggs".

It's his most recent episode and he makes reference to it at the very beginning of the pod. Sometimes Lombardi can be a little bit of a blowhard, but he definitely gets info from sources still.

I'm still pretty convinced Diggs will not be on this roster come September. How he's removed is uncertain, but I happen to think his time in Buffalo is over

When has Michael Lombardi become so reputable? 

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

RD1 - AD Mitchell

RD2 - Keon Coleman

(for example) 

Coleman won't make it pass the first 10 picks in the 2nd rd, if he makes it out of the 1st

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I did. If Jerry (or anyone else) is willing to give us first round pick we just draft his replacement and it will cost us $6M more this year and will bring brutal ($20M+) cap savings next year. 

Again, I am not saying someone is actually offering 1st round pick or that rookie will be as good as Diggs but doing this is definitely an option.

It's an option, but is it a good option for a team that wishes to contend?  Let's look at last year's crop of 1st round WR (click to enlarge)

image.thumb.png.fc32e28d118acbcc9130092d4ae646cb.png

We see that they all played, which doesn't always happen.  The best contributor, Jordan Addison, contributed 70 receptions and 911 yds.  That would still leave a 40 reception, ~300 yd deficit over what Diggs contributed last year (which was a big 'down year' for him.  Now let's look at who else is playing for Minnesota - Justin Jefferson, one of the best WR in the league.  Addison undoubtedly benefited from defenses worrying about Jefferson.

Expecting a 400-600 yd contribution might be more realistic, and that would downgrade the Bills offense at a point where we all want to see upgrade.

IMHO it would make a lot more sense to draft a WR high, and let him develop behind Diggs.  Perhaps knowing that he's eligible to be traded in 2025 would motivate Diggs to "put his best foot forward" and having a talented rookie in the room would push him (not to mention this cray-cray ST guy and multi-team captain in the room who thinks every job is up for grabs)

15 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I'd take a 3rd and a 5th and the other team picking up a chunk of the dead cap. Then move up and grab one of the top X's in the draft. We'd struggle at first but would finish just fine.

Dude.  Other teams can not pick up "a chunk of the dead cap".  That is money already paid.  If you think that happens, please give specific examples.

I don't believe you'll find any.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I'd take a 3rd and a 5th and the other team picking up a chunk of the dead cap. Then move up and grab one of the top X's in the draft. We'd struggle at first but would finish just fine.

I think that Buffalo fans are used to NHL trades because player for player trades are common. The NFL is a different beast. Other teams cannot “pick up a chunk of dead cap.” It is money that has already been paid in signing bonuses to circumvent the cap. If you trade a player, you pay the price for the cap shenanigans. If the Bills trade or cut Diggs they will carry a massive amount of cap for a player that is playing for another team. There is no way around it.

Someone will bring up Ostweiler as a response to this, but the texans traded a stupid contract, not dead money. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

YEAR / CAP / DEAD / SAVINGS

2024 /$27.8 /$31.1 / (3.3)

2025 /$27.3 /$22.2/ $5.1

2026 /$28.4/$13.4/ $15.0

2027 /$22.5/$4.5 / $18.0

2028 / UFA

just based on the dead cap, the contract says we keep diggs for 2024 & 2025. think about moving on in 2026 or 2027.

based on talent, with the addition this season of a legit WR2, i think diggs will return to elite status.

if however, he doesn't want to be here or is gonna be a constant distraction......that's another set of calculations. you could justify making 2024 his last. taking a big hit in 2025....but freeing up big space in 2026 & 2027.

28 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

When has Michael Lombardi become so reputable? 

Coleman won't make it pass the first 10 picks in the 2nd rd, if he makes it out of the 1st

Cosell said as the beginning of the offseason, he doesn't see Diggs as a  #1 anymore.  

I say if we can get a 2nd rounder for him,then do it 

• Disagree 1

I love me some Diggs but he is a mystery. I don’t understand what happened last season or where his head is at. Media constantly stirring the pot with speculations doesn’t help anything.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SCBills said:

RD1 - AD Mitchell

RD2 - Keon Coleman

(for example) 

The problem is we have some emotionally attached Bills fans that believe Diggs is some superstar and not willing to move on.  I think part of the reason why Diggs's numbers dropped in the second half of last season is Allen got sick of him and his brother's stupid crap. It's up to the FO to see this and realize with this latest tweet that it may be best to move and take the hit. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Remember the Diggs tweet that set the Bills trade in motion?

“It’s time for a change”

I’m sure there were Vikings fans doing the same as Bills fans, defending his posts, arguing he was just talking about changing his bed sheets. He has a toxic personality.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Trade him.  He is a high end #2 now and way over paid for that.  NE were the best at getting rid of players a year before they fell off the cliff.  Diggs has 1 foot off.

See if someone above us will give us a 3rd and swap positions in the 1st.  Draft a high end rookie and move on