Bills Receivers worst in drops in the NFL since Brady took over

7 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

we have a couple drop machines in Gabe, Knox, and Cook. plus, Diggs lost his mojo somehow.

Gabe most likely wont be here, and hopefully Kincaid gets a larger target share from Knox.

Knox AND Cook both need to get their hands/heads on straight.

After Brady took over it was Kincaid, Cook, and Diggs who had the most drops that i remember.  

Kincaids were more forgetable since they tended to occur on first downs. 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Agree 1

JOsh throws balls to spots upon occasion hoping his receiver will get there.  I have seen both Davis and Shikir "get there", so that sometime works.  But, Josh likes the hero ball throw, and sometimes the receivers get a glove and nothing else on the ball...hence called a drop.  so, the comment above about some being on Josh is correct.  But, he does that for the right reason, and sometimes it works out ok.  On the other hand, Cooks drops this year were just lack of concentration and poor hands.  I won't say bad hands, he catches some, but dropped the td pass against the Chiefs.  Can't do that against them and be a winner.

• Haha (+1) 1

On the season, our players positional ranks for drop % (#1 meaning they drop passes at a higher rate than anyone else).

WRs (minimum 40 targets, and I'll list the two WRs above and below them):

• Gabe - 28th (DeVante Parker & DK Metcalf above, Mike Evans and Davante Adams below)
  • Diggs - 45th (Christian Kirk and Chris Olave above, Christian Watson and Amari Cooper below)
  • Shakir - 89th (Odell and Brandon Aiyuk above, DJ Moore and Brandin Cooks below)
  • This is out of 95 qualifying WRs

TEs:

• Knox - 1st (Ertz and Likely below)
  • Kincaid - 27th (Hockenson and Evan Engram above, Trey McBride and Hunter Henry below)
  • This is out of 46 qualifying TEs

RBs:

• Latavius - 6th (Aaron Jones and Kyren Williams above, Josh Jacobs and James Cook below)
  • Cook - 7th (Saquon and Chase Edmonds below)
  • This is out of 62 qualifying RBs

Dawson Knox & Gabe's positional ranks over the years since those are the two that tend to rack them up (Knox rank 1st, Gabe 2nd):

• 2023: 1st, 28th
  • 2022: 6th, 4th
  • 2021: 6th, 24th
  • 2020: 11th, 13th
  • 2019: 1st, N/A

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's hard to determine why this happened, but once Brady took over, Buffalo had:

21 drops

10.1% drop rate

Both worst in the NFL over that span

To be fair, Buffalo was among the top teams in the NFL prior to Brady too. 

2022:

Buffalo Bills players catch rates among the highest in the league https://buffalowdown.com/posts/buffalo-bills-players-catch-rates-highest-league-01hfwshwqnt6

Gabe Davis has the lowest catch % in the league. Though he's hardly the only culprit. (McKenzie used to have a bunch of drops too). 

Shakir meanwhile had the best catch % in the league this year. Maybe it's on having better receivers. 

I wonder if Josh throws the ball harder than other QBs & it makes it harder to catch? (No basis to rely on for this, just a question).

I agree it's a problem that needs to get fixed, just seems like a bigger problem than Brady. 

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Cook dropped some soft balls that was frustrating.  But I am prepared for the bills to be top half for drops because Allen has a tendency to launch rockets to guys ten yards from him.  Some of Davis and Kincaids drops are more in Allen IMO.  I know people wil say if your hands touch it you should catch it out just be ready to talk about drops while Allen is here.  It’s not all the wrs.  

Then isn't it weird that literally every defender that got two hands on a Josh Allen pass this season managed to hang onto it? How do you explain that if Allen throws the ball too hard for his own receivers to catch?

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I wonder if the colder weather mixed with Allen throwing the ball hard plays a role in it. Catching a cold football hurts sometimes. 

This is 100% a factor...not the only reason as a players ability to catch plays the biggest role, but it certainly impacts the chances for a drop.   Arm strength like Allen already makes catches somewhat harder, any WR will admit that.  Then adding in weather that can make things windy, wet and/or cold and the degree of difficulty goes up again.  Footing too can also affect the receivers ability to keep focus on the catch as well if they are dealing with wet, muddy, slippery, snowy, frozen, etc conditions.  

And conditions vary often during a game when weather is factor, so what you see is guys changing gloves a lot in those situations which also means they do not always have the right gloves on at a particular moment.  

Drops are just going to have a higher chance of happening as conditions decrease, that is just the nature of the challenges that those conditions present.  Allen firing bullets in those conditions further increases the difficulty of the catch and chances for a drop.

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

PFF also has Buffalo with 21 drops since Brady took over (including the two postseason games, so obviously we played more games in that span than a lot of other teams, thus inflating the drop totals).

Cook - 6

Diggs - 5

Kincaid - 3

Latavius - 2

Shakir, Gabe, Knox, Sherfield, and Morris - 1

Which other game did Diggs have a drop?  

What's interesting is that this narrative that Davis is the biggest culprit is false.  He's second to lowest in Drop% this season.  Last season was somewhat anomalous.  Last season he had 9, in his three other seasons he's had 11 total.  But it's last season's narrative that has turned him into a whipping boy.  We missed him in the playoffs and will miss him next season as we simply don't have the scratch to buy other comparable WRs.  He'll cost too much as well.  

I forgot about Cook, he's a big time drop artist, ... which is weird for a guy that has such a high Catch%.  Off the cuff from memory though, it seems that most of his drops are deeper passes, again, without looking.   His receptions are typically the high-percentage shorter types otherwise, so he's probably got sure hands on the high-percentage end, but struggles on the deeper throws not being a WR.  

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Gabe Davis has the lowest catch % in the league. Though he's hardly the only culprit. (McKenzie used to have a bunch of drops too). 

Yeah, he was right down there with Garrett Wilson, Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, DK Metcalf, and the forum's favorite WR, Deandre Hopkins, who was a percentage point lower.  

Could be the types of [deeper] routes that those types of WRs run.  But what do I know.  LOL 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Which other game did Diggs have a drop?  

What's interesting is that this narrative that Davis is the biggest culprit is false.  He's second to lowest in Drop% this season.  Last season was somewhat anomalous.  Last season he had 9, in his three other seasons he's had 11 total.  But it's last season's narrative that has turned him into a whipping boy.  We missed him in the playoffs and will miss him next season as we simply don't have the scratch to buy other comparable WRs.  He'll cost too much as well.  

I forgot about Cook, he's a big time drop artist, ... which is weird for a guy that has such a high Catch%.  Off the cuff from memory though, it seems that most of his drops are deeper passes, again, without looking.   His receptions are typically the high-percentage shorter types otherwise, so he's probably got sure hands on the high-percentage end, but struggles on the deeper throws not being a WR.  

Yeah, he was right down there with Garrett Wilson, Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, DK Metcalf, and the forum's favorite WR, Deandre Hopkins, who was a percentage point lower.  

Could be the types of [deeper] routes that those types of WRs run.  But what do I know.  LOL 

PFF has him down for:

• Week 5: 1 drop
  • Week 7: 1
  • Week 10: 1
  • Week 11: 1
  • Week 14: 2
  • Divisional Playoff: 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's hard to determine why this happened, but once Brady took over, Buffalo had:

21 drops

10.1% drop rate

Both worst in the NFL over that span

This is a bit misleading especially given what Allen was working with. Also as much as folks praise James Cook, he had a lot of untimely drops including a few easy TD passes from Allen.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

My theory is that JA throws the ball so hard that the Bills receivers have broken hands.  

/ sarcasm

Yeah, well Booger McFarland didn't find that so funny...

Screen-Shot-2018-10-29-at-10.15.16-PM.pn

I couldn't find a picture of Bucky Brooks's hands with his funky, repeatedly-dislocated pinky fingers.

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

PFF has him down for:

• Week 5: 1 drop
  • Week 7: 1
  • Week 10: 1
  • Week 11: 1
  • Week 14: 2
  • Divisional Playoff: 2

PFR has him down for:  

Week 5:   1 

Week 6:   1 

Week 7:   1 

Week 10:  1 

Week 11:  2 

Week 14:  2

Divisional Playoff:  2 

10 Total 

I know that the varying stat sites often differ in their drop stats.  It's difficult finding official ones.  NFL.com sucks for advanced stats generally speaking.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.