Why the Josh Allen hate (draft reaction)?

Gman10

On draft day, my preferred choice was Darnold.  I thought Mayfield had bust written all over him and fit the Browns perfectly.  Rosen felt like a trap and I wanted nothing to do with him.  

I was concerned about Allen ever becoming an accurate QB, but his measurables and arm alone made him my #2 choice.  By the time we picked at 7, I was over the Jets taking Darnold and happy that we at least got Allen.

I've never been more happy to be wrong about doubting someone.  He fits the Bills and our fanbase like a glove (no OJ pun intended).  

I definitely was one of the haters. You just don’t see guys with poor decision making who also aren’t accurate at the college level succeed in the NFL. It almost never happens. Josh is a unicorn.

• Agree 1

I was in the “either Josh” camp. 

When we picked Allen, I was ecstatic. 

After watching and listening to Rosen on draft night, I was ecstatic and relieved. 

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I thought Allen would be a bust and I wanted the Broncos to draft him badly.  thankfully I didn't get my wish.  @transplantbillsfan never wavered from his relentless support for Allen and his constant defending of Allen, and his endless posts of data points about Allen growing and developing.  

Somewhat ironically, Elway passed on him because he wanted to build around Case Keenum.  He was interested in Josh though but shied away for all the reasons a lot of us fans hated the pick at the time.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Somewhat ironically, Elway passed on him because he wanted to build around Case Keenum.  He was interested in Josh though but shied away for all the reasons a lot of us fans hated the pick at the time.

He had already taken the big, strong, toolsy guy twice by that point and failed - the Brocketship and Paxton Lynch. I definitely think that was a factor in him not trusting himself. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He had already taken the big, strong, toolsy guy twice by that point and failed - the Brocketship and Paxton Lynch. I definitely think that was a factor in him not trusting himself. 

They were still trying to resurrect Paxton Lynch if memory serves me correctly.

I remember wanting this Josh Allen after his 2016 season. I mentioned how I liked him a lot and thought he had a ton of potential. I got flamed really bad for it. This was on another Bills site, needless to say, that site no longer exists, and I am not talking about the main Bills page.

I was one of the people who hated the draft pick at the time. This was my reasoning:

The Bills had just ended The Drought, 17 years of missed postseasons. We had a QB in Tyrod Taylor who, while having obvious shortcomings, could have absolutely electric games, was a threat with his legs in the early Pisol/Read Option era before it got schemed against so hard. He wasn't a franchise guy, but after post rib injury FItz, Trent Edwards, Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel, and JP Losman it didn't seem like a bad place to be. So when the Bills shipped Taylor off for a 3rd, I was immediately worried that we had traded away an interesting journeyman while we had a pick in the 20s. This was the year of Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold after all, players who members of this board had urged to tank for and they would be long gone before we picked.

Especially worrisome was the memory of EJ Manuel: an absolutely physically gifted player who was never unable to unlock anything and was benched. In retrospect, Marrone did not help his chances, but the sting was still fresh. In fact, overall, almost no prospect of the "physically gifted but not an accurate passer" mold works out. Almost all run into the same problems that Manuel did, and up until that point the most successful example had been Blake Bortles. So I despaired at the idea that we were going to go through another cycle of that.

Josh is the one in a million player who gets more accurate. He got help, he got coaching, he got time and he worked his ass off so I won't call it luck, but he is the exception, not the rule, and if there is a single Bills take I am happy to be wrong about it was this one.

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I remember when the Giants drafted Daniel Jones, man the live broadcast could not hide that reaction.

Good thing they paid him the big bucks, so we all now know 'Danny Dimes' is worth the money. 🤔😁

9 hours ago, Process said:

Everyone wanted this guy 

QqtMUfpD_400x400.jpg

What?  Me worry?

10 hours ago, Gman10 said:

Im a newer football fan, but came across this Josh Allen draft reaction. Was everyone really upset when he was drafted?

Eat crow, many many crow.

Just now, Spiderweb said:

Eat crow, many many crow. They must feel like morons now.

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Nah the good ol' days was ICE wanting to fire everyone in sight after a loss 😄 or the board getting Jay Rosen'd or endless Belinda posts.

Ah, the infamous ICE. He called everyone azzclowns.

Edited by Spiderweb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.