Lions 2023 Draft Class

Dubie54

What a difference maker this draft class was for the Lions:

Round 1, Pick 12 — RB Jahmyr Gibbs

Round 1, Pick 18 — LB Jack Campbell

Round 2, Pick 34 overall — TE Sam LaPorta

Round 2, Pick 45 overall — DB Brian Branch

The rest of their draft was not much but these 4 guys were amazing, particularly Gibbs and LaPorta. I think LaPorta could become another Kelce type dominant TE for years.

It sure would be amazing if we could find 4 guys who could step right in at Saftey, WR, LB and DT draft this year. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Detroit certainly nailed their draft last year.   

Kincaid and Torrence were big for us this year and the best 1,2 picks since Josh Allen.   Maybe we're trending in the right direction as far as the drafting players.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

The rest of their draft was not much but these 4 guys were amazing, particularly Gibbs and LaPorta. I think LaPorta could become another Kelce type dominant TE for years.

It sure would be amazing if we could find 4 guys who could step right in at Saftey, WR, LB and DT draft this year. 

Helps having 4 picks in the first 50... Buffalo is lucky to have 2 picks in the first 50 (last one was 2019).  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

La Porta is already the second or third best TE in the league.  Great pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

Eh - thats probably a stretch.  Kittle and Kelce definitely above.  Andrews missed time but I'd be hard pressed to put laporta ahead of him.  Probably firmly in the next tier with hockenson, Engram, Njoku.  I expect Kincaid to join them next year 🙂

Impressive dude though, lots of YAC too.

1 minute ago, Process said:

I still don't like either of their first two picks. But if you just look at it high level, 4 starters in the first two rounds of one draft is a solid class. 

Hate a back in the first.  I get wanting a pass catching back to work in there, but I'd always look at corners and d-linemen before id do a running back.  Campbell also felt like a reach.  

16 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

We need to hit on impact WR And Safety in our first 2 picks. After that DT, WR and then whomever.

14 minutes ago, Lost said:

Detroit certainly nailed their draft last year.   

Kincaid and Torrence were big for us this year and the best 1,2 picks since Josh Allen.   Maybe we're trending in the right direction as far as the drafting players.  

and Cook and Bernard year before,  wish we could do something with Elam

22 minutes ago, Dubie54 said:

Add to that draft Hutchinson, DE and Jameson Williams at WR in 2022 and they’ve crushed their last two drafts! That’s SIX long term impactful starters on rookie contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

They had a nice run this year but I wouldn't characterize the Lions as set up for great future success by any means.   Green Bay looks poised to blow by them in their division, IMO.

The Lions had 4 picks in the top 45 and took a lot of low hanging fruit........4 non premium positions.

They had that luxury because they had some premium positions already addressed........but I hate drafts where you know you won't be able to justify extending 1st and 2nd round picks if they hit their ceiling.   Reminds me some of the Bills  Wood/Levitre/Byrd and Lynch/Poz/Edwards drafts.........players who were poised to start right away........but at positions that always look good until you have to pay them.   Wood ended up being the only 1 of those 6 to get an extension.

I love LaPorta though.  He is their extension candidate from that group, IMO.   I was really hoping he'd have declared in 2021 and the Bills could have stolen him in a middle round.......but he took the risk and stayed for his senior year.   Bills likely wouldn't have extended Knox once they saw him in minicamp.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Not just 2023 draft. Look at 2021 and 2022. Brad Holmes has done an excellent job. In  these three years they added:

QB - Goff (Trade)

RB - Gibbs (2023 Draft)

RB - Montgomery (2023 Free Agent)

WR - Williams (2022 Draft)

WR - St Brown (2021 Draft)

TE - LaPorta (2023 Draft)

OL - Sewell (2021 Draft)

DL - Hutchinson (2022 Draft)

DL - McNeil (2021 Draft)

LB - Campbell (2023 Draft)

LB - Anzalone (2021 Free Agent)

LB - Barnes (2021 Draft)

DB - Branch (2023 Draft)

DB - Joseph (2022 Draft)

DB - Sutton (2023 Free Agent)

Plus a bunch of other guys that see the field all brought in the past couple seasons. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Not just 2023 draft. Look at 2021 and 2022. Brad Holmes has done an excellent job. In  these three years they added:

QB - Goff (Trade)

RB - Gibbs (2023 Draft)

RB - Montgomery (2023 Free Agent)

WR - Williams (2022 Draft)

WR - St Brown (2021 Draft)

TE - LaPorta (2023 Draft)

OL - Sewell (2021 Draft)

DL - Hutchinson (2022 Draft)

DL - McNeil (2021 Draft)

LB - Campbell (2023 Draft)

LB - Anzalone (2021 Free Agent)

LB - Barnes (2021 Draft)

DB - Branch (2023 Draft)

DB - Joseph (2022 Draft)

DB - Sutton (2023 Free Agent)

Plus a bunch of other guys that see the field all brought in the past couple seasons. 

Agree 100%. Hutchinson, Williams, St. Brown, and Sewell are excellent players imo. Goff certainly has enough weapons and a very good OL.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

I think it's a little early to say that. They've just thrown the ball at him a lot.

Sam LaPorta:

120 targets, 86 receptions for 889 yards. (71.6% reception rate)

Dalton Kincaid:

91 targets, 73 receptions for 673 yards (80.2% reception rate)

Both guys look great early, but it's silly to put them above Kelce, Andrews, Kittle, Hockenson, etc., until we see them develop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

Add to that draft Hutchinson, DE and Jameson Williams at WR in 2022 and they’ve crushed their last two drafts! That’s SIX long term impactful starters on rookie contracts.

It’s true, but I think my granny would have managed to pick Hutchinson at number 2 overall.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.