Joe Brady Officially Promoted as Bills OC!

KDIGGZ

Brady didn’t have the personnel to be explosive this season so will be interesting to see how the receiver room looks like next year. However, if he can at least give us the threat of a running game while fixing the passing offense they should be in decent shape on that side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I sure wish we would’ve hired Ben Johnson as our HC and kept Babich as DC.

i like McD and I’m fine with retaining him, but I’d rather have Ben Johnson leading our offense

That’s an unknown.  Not sure I wanna get on that hamster wheel of coaches again.  

7 hours ago, Augie said:

McD is 5-6 in the playoffs, and many of those could have gone the other way, for better or worse. Marvin Lewis was 0-7 in the playoffs, so I would not say that is the same thing. A guy who wins about half is better than a guy who never won. 

Could have or should have?

5 hours ago, White Linen said:

I don't mind it.  McDermott can hire who he wants and it's on him to be better. 

Why not?  McD's got a 3 year streak of firing a coordinator to take heat off himself for disappointing post-seasons.  

Funny thing about McD...he knows the owners aren't going to fire him with 4 years and 35M in guarantees due.  I haven't even heard he needed to meet with them post season either.  Besides, Terry has enough to contend with and wants nothing to do with a HC search.  

Brady will do what Dorsey and Daboll wouldn't (with Josh at QB): coordinate the offense to be "complementary" to the defense.  And that means more running, more safe throws, a decent regular season record, and losing to KC/CIN or whomever actually runs a competent offense they play in the post-season.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

I would imagine that Brady didn't get the permanent role without some level of buy-in to McD's complimentary football approach. This is for those thinking we might put all our resources into the receiver room and open up the offense again. I don't think that's going to happen. Bet we run it back on offense with some minor changes due to cap and double down on the second half of 2023.

Edited by VW82
  • Agree 1

I'm not excited by this but for those who are complaining about the hiring process, please educate me.  I don't know who McD contacted, who expressed interest in the job, or who McD interviewed.  So, I don't have an opinion on the hiring process.  

I was hoping we'd find someone much better than Brady but apparently Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan have other jobs.  

I'd like to know what Brady said in the interview.  Is he going to change the staff?  Bring in a new QB coach?  Revamp the playbook?  Make changes to preseason preparation?  Modify how analytics are utilized?   How position meetings are run?  I can't imagine Brady told McD that he'd just carry on with the status quo and McD was okay with that. 

I don't think the offense is as talented as some seem to think but I do believe that with Josh as our QB we ought to be more potent, even with the so-so cast of characters around Allen.  I wasn't wowed by Brady's half-season tryout but maybe with a full preseason to prepare himself and the team, he'll do better next year.  I'm hoping.  

I'm also hoping Beane has a really, really good offseason despite our cap limitations.  

12 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I would imagine that Brady didn't get the permanent role without some level of buy-in to McD's complimentary football approach. This is for those thinking we might put all our resources into the receiver room and open up the offense again. I don't think that's going to happen. Bet we run it back on offense with some minor changes due to cap and double down on the second half of 2023.

JFC. Every coach in the league talks about "complementary football." 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, In Summary said:

He did a great job of getting more playmakers involved. Moved past forcing it to Diggs. Give him another receiver to work with and I'm good.

Probably need a couple more WRs.  We literally had zero threat down the field 

• Like (+1) 2

Brady did a decent job, especially given the circumstances when he took over.  But bills should have brought in someone with experience.  We need to win now while Allen is in his prime.  I worry Brady's inexperience will require time for him to develop as an offensive coordinator.  (And yes, I am aware of his brief tenure with Carolina as O.C. before they fired him)

3 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

Brady did a decent job, especially given the circumstances when he took over.  But bills should have brought in someone with experience.  We need to win now while Allen is in his prime.  I worry Brady's inexperience will require time for him to develop as an offensive coordinator.  (And yes, I am aware of his brief tenure with Carolina as O.C. before they fired him)

Who?

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Brady will do what Dorsey and Daboll wouldn't (with Josh at QB): coordinate the offense to be "complementary" to the defense.  And that means more running, more safe throws, a decent regular season record, and losing to KC/CIN or whomever actually runs a competent offense they play in the post-season.  

Dorsey and Daboll are a combined 1-3 past the Wild Card round as the Bills offensive coordinator.  The only win was 17-3 against the Ravens when our offense scored 10 points.  The irony is if Brady/Allen stuck to the game script against KC in the final two minutes we'd likely be in the Super Bowl right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I sure wish we would’ve hired Ben Johnson as our HC and kept Babich as DC.

i like McD and I’m fine with retaining him, but I’d rather have Ben Johnson leading our offense

Only if the Lions oline, their RBs, St. Brown, and LaPorta come with him.  

Johnson might be a good HC.  He might be a great offensive mind and play caller. 

I like him.  I’d pump the brakes tho considering what he had to work with.  Everything came together at the right time for them.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.