2024 WR Draft Class

5 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Yep unless I trade the farm for the top 3, in draft McConkey at 28 and trade up on the 2nd to take legette

Due to physical traits I think Legette will go before McConkey, but I'd be happy with either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well then,  BTJ + trade a 6th for Terrace Marshall & grab Bub Means 

or…wait for it….good Lord yes.

60 + 2025 2nd for DK Metcalf

28 + other 2025 2nd for BTJ 

Ooooo yeaaaa  COOKIN!!!!👨‍🍳

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Is there a medical issue with Mitchell?  I thought that I heard them allude to one on SiriusXM, but I didn’t hear what the issue might be.  I can’t find anything about one on the net.  Anyone hear about a medical on Mitchell?

17 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Is there a medical issue with Mitchell?  I thought that I heard them allude to one on SiriusXM, but I didn’t hear what the issue might be.  I can’t find anything about one on the net.  Anyone hear about a medical on Mitchell?

A high ankle sprain cost him almost the enitre 2022 season. That’s the only injury I know about him

18 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Thought I heard he has diabetes, not positive

Now that I’m paying attention more that diggs is gone it is wild to see the discrepancy between wr rankings out there. After the top 3 it’s like a total toss up when ranking 4 through 15. I know it’s a deep and solid class but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. For example that guy Brett Whitefield has Roman Wilson and Ricky Pearsall going in the first round and Thomas jr going in the second. He’s really low on the Texas receivers too but is also high on Burton. Crazy how people can have 3-4 round grades on some of these guys while others have 1-2 round grades and vice versa. This draft class is giving me a headache. 

• Like (+1) 1

Finally got around to watching film of Javon Baker and Jermaine Burton, so I'm up to 23 receivers now. Not sure if I'll ultimately get around to more or not...I had Malik and Tahj Washington circled as two that I wanted to watch but I just don't know if I'll ultimately have the time to get to them. I still have to finish up a few QBs as well. Anywho, sort of brief notes on these two guys as well as where I slot them in in my rankings:

Javon Baker

• Good release package off the line
  • Good body control to hang in the air combined with strong hands makes him a good contested target guy
  • Sets DBs up well, decelerates, changes direction, etc. Ran a lot of vertical routes at UCF but he seems to have the tools to be a good route runner
  • Pretty average acceleration and long speed, that combined with the diet of vertical routes may have contributed to him having one of the lowest "open" ratings in the class per PFF
  • Pretty strong physically, but had a few times across the games I watched where he just allowed DBs to push him tight up against the sideline and basically make it impossible to make the catch in bounds.
  • Kind of just gets in the way as a run blocker vs. someone like Coleman who you legitimately want to design run plays towards
  • Ultimately got an early 2nd round grade from me for his film which puts him at the tail end of the top 10. #10 in terms of my metrics rating as well.

Jermaine Burton

• Effortless speed
  • Impressive ball tracking on the deep ball
  • Will continue to work his way open when his QB is buying time, which could pair very nicely with Allen
  • Strong hands, physical at the catch point
  • Does a nice job of varying speeds in his routes, getting into the DB's blind spot, etc.
  • Has a tendency to run his routes standing straight up/almost running on his tip toes, led to some awkwardness getting in and out of his breaks.
  • Generally poor effort as a run blocker
  • Got an early 3rd round grade from me for his film, #15 in the class. #20 in terms of my metrics rating.

Overall Rankings

WRTable4.5.thumb.png.2627fb65a0fe452566c5529c8ffbd696.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just watching the combine on the ole DVR. Leggette is just built different from everyone else. His physique is impressive, but looks a little stiff in drills. Coleman probably next most impressive pysique. Franklin looks anorexic. Mitchell looks the part. Jacob Cowing is impressive as well. McKonkey is silky smooth. 

And our WR coach is running drills down there getting a first hand look. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Finally got around to watching film of Javon Baker and Jermaine Burton, so I'm up to 23 receivers now. Not sure if I'll ultimately get around to more or not...I had Malik and Tahj Washington circled as two that I wanted to watch but I just don't know if I'll ultimately have the time to get to them. I still have to finish up a few QBs as well. Anywho, sort of brief notes on these two guys as well as where I slot them in in my rankings:

Javon Baker

• Good release package off the line
  • Good body control to hang in the air combined with strong hands makes him a good contested target guy
  • Sets DBs up well, decelerates, changes direction, etc. Ran a lot of vertical routes at UCF but he seems to have the tools to be a good route runner
  • Pretty average acceleration and long speed, that combined with the diet of vertical routes may have contributed to him having one of the lowest "open" ratings in the class per PFF
  • Pretty strong physically, but had a few times across the games I watched where he just allowed DBs to push him tight up against the sideline and basically make it impossible to make the catch in bounds.
  • Kind of just gets in the way as a run blocker vs. someone like Coleman who you legitimately want to design run plays towards
  • Ultimately got an early 2nd round grade from me for his film which puts him at the tail end of the top 10. #10 in terms of my metrics rating as well.

Jermaine Burton

• Effortless speed
  • Impressive ball tracking on the deep ball
  • Will continue to work his way open when his QB is buying time, which could pair very nicely with Allen
  • Strong hands, physical at the catch point
  • Does a nice job of varying speeds in his routes, getting into the DB's blind spot, etc.
  • Has a tendency to run his routes standing straight up/almost running on his tip toes, led to some awkwardness getting in and out of his breaks.
  • Generally poor effort as a run blocker
  • Got an early 3rd round grade from me for his film, #15 in the class. #20 in terms of my metrics rating.

Overall Rankings

WRTable4.5.thumb.png.2627fb65a0fe452566c5529c8ffbd696.png

Case in point, you have legette as your #17 and I’ve heard people saying now he could be gone by #28. Also you have Coleman at 5 and others saying he’s more like 12. Can’t separate and is just a jump ball guy. Has there even been such a big discrepancy in rankings that anyone remembers? 

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

really surprised MHJ is that high.  

AD Mitchell has elite hands

Yeah, but take a look at his contested catch rate. Pretty meh. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Nabers reminds me of Tyreek Hill.  Pure explosiveness.  I like Odunze too, but Nabors and Harrison Jr. to me are worth any trade up if somebody in top 5 or 6 is willing to do a trade.  

Odunze too is well worth a big trade up imo. His physical ability is matched by outstanding intangibles. So important to evaluations. So I think there are three and possibly four (Thomas) legit targets for a Josh Allen type move up. Quite possibly one or perhaps a couple of the four drop a bit below what is expected just based on how the board falls out. All of that would support a big move up because the strategy would have a very good chance of producing a positive result. After all the four, all of them, project as nothing less than elite at the next level and rookie year #1s. I think Beane is seriously considering it. I think I would.

Just give me Legette at spot 28 and I’ll be happy. He is a physical athletic freak but a late bloomer at his position. Similar to Josh in that way. He reminds me a lot of Eric Moulds. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What are you suggesting?  Do you think they should draft Coleman?  If they are taking just 1 WR early, I would be disappointed if it is him.

Larry Fitz was an animal in college in the early 2000’s not the modern passing game. As a redshirt freshman had 1000 yards and 12 tds and followed that up with 1600 yards and 22 Tds.  When has Coleman ever done that? Tape, production than athletic profile.  His athletic profile doesn't disqualify him but it validates by he wasn't consistent or dominant. 

Based on all the metrics, if we stay at 28, and are drafting a WR, Ladd McConkey has to be the pick…

He was not my first choice, but I have to trust the numbers…👍

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

They talk at the end about him being mocked to Buffalo. Steve Smith says he won't be there, he's going in the "teens" & that we'd have to move up. 

I don’t think many people, if any, think that Thomas will be there @ 28.  

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Based on all the metrics, if we stay at 28, and are drafting a WR, Ladd McConkey has to be the pick…

I agree 100%. I don’t think Beane wants to give up 2 1st, 2 2nds and some late picks to move up to 5/6/7.

I do think he would be willing to give up a 2nd + to move up to the late teens to grab Thomas II if (1) Thomas last to then and (2) they have Thomas as their #4 wr, a lot of people do not.

I would take Ladd at 28 if he’s there (not a given as I could see KC trading ahead of us to grab him) then I would trade 60 and a future 2nd to move up to the low/mid 40s and grab Legette/frankli/worthy/polk/coleman, etc - whomevers left then and they like best. 

adding Ladd +, say Legette would be awesome. I think the bills like both of them a lot. They’ve met with both a couple of times and Josh mentioned him prominently in a recent interview saying he’s got the best southern accent he’s ever heard.

we may also just stay at 60 and grab whomever falls to there, but they do have 10 picks and 10 draft picks arent making this team.

my dream senario;

#28, 2025 2nd, 2024 4th, 2024 5th for pick 27 or so and take Thomas Ii

#60 and other 2025 2nd for #40 and take Ladd who’s has fallen to 40

thomas and Ladd added to our wr corp and we’d still have a total of 8 2024 picks and picks in every round in 2025 except the 2nd. We will get 2 or so comp picks though in 2025

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think many people, if any, think that Thomas will be there @ 28.  

I’ve seen him mocked as early as 12 and lasting until 28. A lot of people have him as the #4 but a lot of people don’t. I’d love to see how the Bills rank the wr. My guess is they may have legette at #4 and may take him at #28. The kid is a one year wonder (no fault of his own) but oozes character. His story is heart wrenching. He and buffalo written all over him 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

which metrics?

16 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Food for thought! I wonder if we could get 2 of the top 3 somehow.

What stands out to me there is Legette…doing that in the SEC, being his teams’ really only weapon and playing with Rattler. Apparently he played poorly when Tennesse played man on him and locked him up. But that stat stands out to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/12pCgsJPa9X-jjNMOZ_exJTAEfxmZOeETzEm8SNkuXec/htmlview

Separation and catch % stand out most…And that’s exactly what Josh needs…👍

Gotcha, I have McConkey as my WR5 a few pages back in this thread. Wasn’t sure if you were seeing data I hadn’t already. I like to take in as much of that stuff pre draft as I can.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Food for thought! I wonder if we could get 2 of the top 3 somehow.

It might be possible to get 1 of Nabers/Odunze/BTJ and keep pick 60 for Legette/Franklin.  Legette would probably require a move up again into the top 45 I imagine

but we could absolutely move into the teens say 16  with 28, 128 & 2025 2nd

then you could move from 60 to get Legette by parting with our other 2025 2nd

so you come away with

16. Brian Thomas Jr.

40. Xavier Legette

Still have a 4th, other late picks.  Kept our 1st next year 

would certainly be a fun combo.  

Legette is a physical, very fast beast and plays taller than 6’1.  as seen above, can be elite against man and has insane breakaway speed in open field

Thomas is 6’3 with one of the biggest wingspans in the draft, a true deep threat with 4.3 speed and the 2nd lowest drop rate among top WR’s. 17 TD’s.  2nd highest contested catch rate among the top 3 rounds of WR’s

gives our WR room a serious speed and size uprade. Both of which are needed badly

& a bonus, from interviews they seem to be fairly humble guys

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

They talk at the end about him being mocked to Buffalo. Steve Smith says he won't be there, he's going in the "teens" & that we'd have to move up. 

Man Thomas is perfect for this team. Hopefully he drops since he is a quiet guy like Smith says. He’s a perfect fit. 

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Man Thomas is perfect for this team. Hopefully he drops since he is a quiet guy like Smith says. He’s a perfect fit. 

he’s worth the move up.  Anywhere from 13-19 is likely where he ends up going

probably cost a 4th and a 2nd next year.  Then we can still go after Legette by moving up in Round 2 if he makes it

maybe we end up with a guy like McConkey and I’ll end up liking it later on…but IMO this team needs size and speed

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Larry Fitz was an animal in college in the early 2000’s not the modern passing game. As a redshirt freshman had 1000 yards and 12 tds and followed that up with 1600 yards and 22 Tds.  When has Coleman ever done that? Tape, production than athletic profile.  His athletic profile doesn't disqualify him but it validates by he wasn't consistent or dominant. 

Coleman's offense wasn't pass happy with Norvell. If Keon ran a 4.5 40, people would be clamoring for him. The dude is a baller and would be a great asset to Josh as a chain mover and in the red zone. 

12 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What are you suggesting?  Do you think they should draft Coleman?  If they are taking just 1 WR early, I would be disappointed if it is him.

Yes I do. He's the type of WR the Bills been looking for for some time. A big bodied RAC receiver. An open when not open type of WR. His tape don't lie

• Disagree 1