Bills Last Great Defensive Lineman

I think most would agree that to increase your odds of going to and winning a Superbowl you need a franchise quarterback.

But I think what is often overlooked is the importance of that game changing defensive lineman that is so effective he disrupts games and has to be planned around...and can help close out a tight game in crunch time.  I think all four of the remaining teams have one...and then I got to thinking, who was the last lineman for the Bills you could describe that way?  Oliver showed flashes throughout the season, but was a ghost in the last playoff game.  Was it Kyle Williams?...Jerry Hughes in his prime?

Having a player like that won't win you playoff games by himself, but it certainly seems to be a key ingredient.

• Agree 1

Mario Williams was the closest they've had to that since the 90s.  

A truly dominant, disruptive pass rusher is the hardest thing to find with the exception of QB.  It's not impossible to find one outside the top 10 picks,  but the odds are definitely stacked against you.  Greg Rousseau definitely isn't at that level,  but the Bills are damn lucky he's as good as he is.  

Edited by Brandon

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Mario Williams for me. But all of them fall well short of the gold standard in Bills land....#78.

Mario before he decided "not to play" anymore for us and the Fins

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MPL said:

It's Bruce and no one else has ever come close. Some good to great players since then, but none of them were HOF worthy. 

We have a hall of fame defensive end currently on our roster.

People can laugh about that all they want, but Von had 8 sacks through 11 games prior to injury last year. Before that, he was averaging 10+ sacks every year.

That's rare and he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Let's hope he comes back at full strength next year, or even close. The book isn't closed on that yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transient said:

If you consider an edge rusher in this category, it was probably Miller before he blew his knee out.

Yeah Von was a force before the injury, but it’s always a “what have you done for me lately?” league. Von would’ve got my vote easily if his play hadn’t fallen off a cliff this year.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.