Ryan O'Halloran - Bills should go Defense Heavy in draft

Ryan O'Halloran: Free-agent, cap situation means Brandon Beane has to get defensive in draft

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/ryan-ohalloran-free-agent-cap-situation-means-brandon-beane-has-to-get-defensive-in-draft/article_2992c608-ba1b-11ee-8957-5731c06753d8.html

Should they go defense, defense, defense in rounds 1-3? Yes. I hear about needing to add a receiver, but address that with a veteran. This should be a passing game that goes through Kincaid more than a second receiver, anyway.

That doesn't seem to jibe with the general sentiment on this board.  Please read the article first, then discuss.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Ryan O'Halloran: Free-agent, cap situation means Brandon Beane has to get defensive in draft

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/ryan-ohalloran-free-agent-cap-situation-means-brandon-beane-has-to-get-defensive-in-draft/article_2992c608-ba1b-11ee-8957-5731c06753d8.html

That doesn't seem to jibe with the general sentiment on this board.  Please read the article first, then discuss.

Only disagreement is on that early WR pick. I think most on this board understand, and are even in favor, of a very heavy defensive draft given our needs on that side of the ball.

I also agree with going Safety->DT->DE. Heck, I'd say Safety->DT->DE->Safety->DB->DT.

After our WR pick tho.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Only disagreement is on that early WR pick. I think most on this board understand, and are even in favor, of a very heavy defensive draft given our needs on that side of the ball.

I also agree with going Safety->DT->DE. Heck, I'd say Safety->DT->DE->Safety->DB->DT

Yep. Draft a WR in the 1st round, then go defense the next 3 picks.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Well the experts here certainly know better!

• Haha (+1) 1

Dumb. A top safety or even CB or DT or DE will NOT impact the Bills chance of winning as much as a stud WR on a 5-year rookie contract. Josh throwing to a big, fast young WR is the single biggest difference this team can make going forward.

We lack a "dangerous" player on this team and this is the draft to get a dangerous WR in the first round. Draft a CB or safety in the second but not the first.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 14
  • Thank you (+1) 11

13 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

I actually think the opposite. All offense apart from a D lineman

• Like (+1) 1

I think I need to ask him who his dealer is. Because whatever he's smoking is good stuff.

One, the Bills have invested draft capital on the defense. Off the top of my head, Rousseau, Dorian Williams, Elam and Bernard are all playing on rookie contracts.

Oliver, TJ and Milano are homegrown players that we have retained which is a strong sign of healthy drafting and a functional front office, and I think there is a reasonable chance we retain Epenesa and Lawson (also a 1st round pick) in free agency

Spector, Dane Jackson and Benford were excellent late round finds that have well outplayed their draft position and are either starters or key rotation pieces.

Two, he clearly hasn't looked at the FA market for WR.

You want to restock the defense? Good. I agree with you. But WR takes priority, and THEN worry about backfilling safety and D-line depth.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He is not the only guy saying that. Us fans mostly want a blue chip rookie WR but Daniel Jeremiah’s first mock has us taking an interior defensive line guy. DJ correctly called Spiller at 9 back in the day.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Vomit 3

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Kincaid is a great weapon that needs to be used more in the offense, but he's never going to be fast enough to fill that other hole we have on offense we need another guy.

I view Kincaid like Beasely was for Allen. Just finding openings and getting 1st downs

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

One, the Bills have invested draft capital on the defense. Off the top of my head, Rousseau, Dorian Williams, Elam and Bernard are all playing on rookie contracts.

Here is one thing O'Halloran says about that:

From 2019-23, in rounds 1-4, the area where immediate starters are generally found, the Bills have drafted seven defensive players. Compare to that this weekend’s conference finalists: Detroit has 15, Baltimore 14, Kansas City 13 and San Francisco five.

WR in RD 1 please. They do need to address the defense as well. But they need another weapon for Allen to throw to. If Diggs really is starting to decline, then the WR pick becomes more important.

• Like (+1) 4

FFS, stop believing what 99% of these talking heads say, it’s all just part of the NFL machine, to drum up more hype, it’s mostly BS,  that you guys fall for this crap over and over is mind boggling..,,  get a second hobby already…, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.