Great QBs and the # of SuperBowl Victories

Bills!Win!

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Lots of great QB's have never won the SB for various reasons. Partly because it's a matter of luck and is a team sport. It's not the end of the world. I think the Bills mafia could get to a healthier place mentally if they stopped focusing on Super Bowls. Focus on being the best team you can be, and not on long-term goals and other teams.

Also, where is Dan Fouts on that list?

This is a difficult thing to do because most in the fanbase already shoed Allen in for at least 2 titles. It’s hard to accept that he might not even get to one much less win it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

I actually consider Kelly to be a Super Bowl winning QB. 

he did exactly what Brady did to win his first Super Bowl. 

Guided his team to a game winning FG in the last minute of the game. 

Not his fault that the kicker failed. 

33 minutes ago, chongli said:

Well, ok, if that's the case, then Buffalo won the SB in 2021. It's not Josh's fault 13-sconds occurred. If we had beaten KC, then most agree Buffalo would have beaten Cincy and then the Rams.

See how that works?

36 minutes ago, Success said:

Honestly, I'm in the "one before I die" crowd. I'm sure when we win one, I'll want more - but just one will bury all of the demons.  Then, it will just be about enjoyment.

I'm sure of that.

I think Allen gets one in the next few years, and who knows - maybe another when he's in his 30's.  And that's fantastic.  Brady changed a lot of perspectives on this.  All of a sudden, unless you have a dynasty or get a bunch of titles, it's insufficient.

But for this fan, 1 is just fine.

Well look at that, we've actually won 2 Super Bowls!! @Success, it looks like you can die a happy person! :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

The names on your respective lists are a bit suspect.

QB and "super bowl wins" don't really go together; it's a team sport.  If you don't have the complete picture, you aren't going to be winning multiple Super Bowls.

I know the media likes to make this a topic; it's stupid.

• Agree 1

Elway got there and lost multiple times before he got there late and won back to back SB's.  

Manning was in his 9th year before he won one.  And the 2nd one that he "won" was more the Broncos won INSPITE of Manning as he sucked all season (31st ranked QB that year) where he almost didn't get his job back from Brock Osweiler, and then had the worst QB performance for a winning team in SB history.  

Rodgers, Brees, and Young only reached 1 SB (and won it).  

Those 5 guys are in everyones top 10 all time list and several on in most peoples top 5 all time list.  

What pisses me off is that Allen gets crucified for not being Mahomes and having "early" SB visits and wins.  But what would their careers look like if they swapped places?  Guarantee you Allen has multiple Super Bowls too and Mahomes has none.  

Another thing that pisses me off...everyone said Allen cant be MVP this year because of turnovers and how he has sooo many.  Mahomes had 21 turnovers the year he won MVP (Allen only had 1 more this year with 22) and Mahomes had the best WR in football, the best TE in maybe history, a top OL and one of the best offensive coaches in history when he had 21 turnoers and still won MVP.  

Alles only crime is that he doesn't play for KC and he gets crucified for it.  It is so stupid and it is a shame more people can't appreciate how special he really is and just how much fun he is to watch.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

I actually consider Kelly to be a Super Bowl winning QB. 

he did exactly what Brady did to win his first Super Bowl. 

Guided his team to a game winning FG in the last minute of the game. 

Not his fault that the kicker failed. 

Kelly was an awful postseason qb. His ego shirk have had Thurman getting 30 Carries that game and had the giants adjust their defense. 

16 hours ago, boyst said:

Romo, Allen, Burrow, McNair, and Cunningham were not great QB's.

Rivers was not great, either, but threw a ton.

I fully understand what you're getting at.  Your criteria for "great" is a high bar and there's nothing wrong with that.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Always have had a hard time calling Kurt Warner a great QB.  He had a 12 year career, out of them 6 good years, but of those 6, only 3 the team did well.  Other years he barely played half the games, not sure if it was due to injury or benched?

Lost his job with the Rams through injury. With the Giants was benched with a winning record to go with Eli.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

This has been on my mind ever since Sunday night and I just have to get it out there. 

The list of great QBs who never won a Super Bowl. I define “Great” as having consistent success, excelling at the position and not a player who had an up and down career. 

Jim Kelly

Josh Allen 

Joe Burrow 

Philip Rivers 

Tony Romo 

Dan Marino 

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair 

Frank Tarkenton 

Randall Cunningham 

Warren Moon 

Great QBs who only won one superbowl (shows how hard it is) 

Kurt Warner 

Steve Young 

Brett Favre 

Aaron Rodgers 
Drew Brees

Matt Stafford 

(Namath, Dawson, Unitas, Stabler, Simms, Doug Williams) - I never really watched film on these guys to see if they were good/great but I can only assume they were. Shows my age 

QBs who won multiple Superbowls 

Peyton Manning 

Patrick Mahomes 

Troy Aikman 

Joe Montana 

Eli Manning 

Bart Starr 

Bob Griese

Terry Bradshaw

Ben Roethlisberger 

Tom Brady

Roger Staubach 

Which category will Allen fall in? I’ve come to the realization that Allen will not win multiple Superbowls and it won’t be because of Josh Allen but because of the team he plays for. We will never be a dynasty. I say he wins one in 2-3 years from now and that’s it. 

Matt Ryan was a great QB, nearly had one but coaching prevented that.

Hall of Famers Sonny Jergensen and Fran Terkenton never won SBs either.

It takes a lot more than a great QB and a coach that can tie his own shoes to win a SB.  Luck and not getting bitten by the injury bug helps too as do calls by the officials.

I reject the notion that since we're not advancing to CG must be because some else besides he who shall not be criticized must be at fault.  It's a team fail (including he who shall not he criticized).

Edited by reddogblitz

This stat is a bit misleading for the older QBs who played part of their careers before the Superbowl era.

Bart Starr actually won 5 NFL championships: Three before the Superbowl era.  Unitas won three NFL championships: two before the Superbowl era

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

This has been on my mind ever since Sunday night and I just have to get it out there. 

The list of great QBs who never won a Super Bowl. I define “Great” as having consistent success, excelling at the position and not a player who had an up and down career. 

Jim Kelly

Josh Allen 

Joe Burrow 

Philip Rivers 

Tony Romo 

Dan Marino 

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair 

Frank Tarkenton 

Randall Cunningham 

Warren Moon 

Kurt Warner 

Steve Young 

Brett Favre 

Aaron Rodgers 
Drew Brees

Matt Stafford 

(Namath, Dawson, Unitas, Stabler, Simms, Doug Williams) - I never really watched film on these guys to see if they were good/great but I can only assume they were. Shows my age 

Peyton Manning 

Patrick Mahomes 

Troy Aikman 

Joe Montana 

Eli Manning 

Bart Starr 

Bob Griese

Terry Bradshaw

Ben Roethlisberger 

Tom Brady

Roger Staubach 

Which category will Allen fall in? I’ve come to the realization that Allen will not win multiple Superbowls and it won’t be because of Josh Allen but because of the team he plays for. We will never be a dynasty. I say he wins one in 2-3 years from now and that’s it. 

I would be happy with that.

I am not greedy.

12 hours ago, Success said:

Honestly, I'm in the "one before I die" crowd. I'm sure when we win one, I'll want more - but just one will bury all of the demons.  Then, it will just be about enjoyment.

I'm sure of that.

I think Allen gets one in the next few years, and who knows - maybe another when he's in his 30's.  And that's fantastic.  Brady changed a lot of perspectives on this.  All of a sudden, unless you have a dynasty or get a bunch of titles, it's insufficient.

But for this fan, 1 is just fine.

I agree with you 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Lost his job with the Rams through injury. With the Giants was benched with a winning record to go with Eli.

I see this now, missed it. @Ed_Formerly_of_Roch ...

I'd say Kurt Warner was one of the smartest QBs to play the last 40 years.  In the modern era of QB's he had a processing ability that was beyond all not named Manning.

It made him excellent.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Terry Bradshaw was not a great QB. Dude got carried by the Steel curtain Steelers defense. Eli Manning wasn't a great QB either. His defense is the big reason why he won his super bowls. Allen and Marino have put up better statistical games in the post season but don't have super bowl wins because their teams were worse at each given time.

Judging a QB by super bowl wins is flawed as many bad QBs have been carried to super bowl wins by awesome teams while better QBs have not gotten Super Bowl wins due to weaker teams. Trent Dilfer got a ring with the 2000 Ravens, one of the best defenses ever. I had a Dolphins fan tell me that Allen is a bum because he hasn't gotten a ring yet and I told that idiot that Dilfer must be the goat then and Marino a bum because "no ring "

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Terry Bradshaw was not a great QB. Dude got carried by the Steel curtain Steelers defense. Eli Manning wasn't a great QB either. His defense is the big reason why he won his super bowls. Allen and Marino have put up better statistical games in the post season but don't have super bowl wins because their teams were worse at each given time.

Judging a QB by super bowl wins is flawed as many bad QBs have been carried to super bowl wins by awesome teams while better QBs have not gotten Super Bowl wins due to weaker teams. Trent Dilfer got a ring with the 2000 Ravens, one of the best defenses ever. I had a Dolphins fan tell me that Allen is a bum because he hasn't gotten a ring yet and I told that idiot that Dilfer must be the goat then and Marino a bum because "no ring "

Add or remove a few, the list mostly stays the same 

23 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Jim Kelly

Josh Allen 

Joe Burrow 

Philip Rivers 

Tony Romo 

Dan Marino 

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair 

Frank Tarkenton 

Randall Cunningham 

Warren Moon 

Kurt Warner 

Steve Young 

Brett Favre 

Aaron Rodgers 
Drew Brees

Matt Stafford 

Peyton Manning 

Patrick Mahomes 

Troy Aikman 

Joe Montana 

Eli Manning 

Bart Starr 

Bob Griese

Terry Bradshaw

Ben Roethlisberger 

Tom Brady

Roger Staubach 

Good fact-based collection of info. There are people here who seem to think that winning Championships is easier than it actually is and are ready to turn their backs on our team/coaches because they've yet to get to the promised land.

Here's some other facts to chew on: 

4 teams have yet to appear in a Superbowl. 

12 teams have never won it.

A few teams have won only once (Bears, Eagles, Jets)

Other teams haven't won in close to 30 or more years (Cowboys, 49ers, Washington, Dolphins), so for many fans under 40, there's little if any memory of those victories.

Add it up. Soak it in. 

We tend to measure achievement against Brady and the Patriots, or now KC. Those streaks are far more uncommon than common. It's not realistic to expect championships to fall in your lap. It takes consistent play and a little luck.

Getting to a Superbowl is very difficult. Winning one is even tougher. 

The Bills have been competitive for several years under McD. They've had a chance to get there. I expect it will continue.

Injuries and other external factors will always play into the results. 

If the disappointment is too great, you should find some other form of entertainment. For me, there's always another season and hope. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I like Kelly but that's kind've silly.  Wasn't the knock on Kelly he didn't do enough on that last drive to get the Bills closer to Norwood's ideal yard range?  47 yards was no chip shot back in 1991 

This is 100% spot on. They let their foot off the gas at the end, and it cost them, big time.

And that loss affected me greatly. I was 30, and had a huge SB party in my basement, in Rome, NY, with a lot of my USAF coworkers. I was expecting a win.

Nowadays, I guess with age, we all mellow out and realize there are many more important things in life to get upset about. And of course with this current Bills team, I expect nothing! LOL

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.