Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm glad Dunne is rocking the boat again.  I hope Pegula is reading every word that this man is saying.  I don't know about the rest of you but it seems to me McD is jockeying to spend more draft capitol on the D not the O.  How will you Dunne critics like it if we take a safety in round 1 and not a WR?  Or that we spend more FA on the D line and not sign a top end WR in FA?

I listened to McD & Bean's press conference and I have concerns.  They said some of the right things but I didn't hear conviction in what they were saying. 

The bottom line is that the Bills are wasting the talents of a uniquely gifted QB with their current coaching and personnel situation.  If you want more of the same then curse Dunne and cheer McD.  But 3 straight losses in the Divisional playoff round have changed my mind about everything.  And I welcome Dunne playing the role of the squeaking wheel here.  It's long overdue.

Their press conferences were just the same fluffy stuff they always say. And I know they aren’t going to say anything controversial, but they are gonna run it back, probably draft some receivers and the result unfortunately will remain the same. Our only hope is that they realize they just need to unleash Josh and allow him to be the guy he is meant to be. That’s all that matters. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Ah, yes. I remember the time I told my then-fiance, "I'm going to explore other options for a wife over the next few weeks, but if I don't find anyone better, then I'll marry you."

She left that night and never returned, but I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

Twitch Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

McD said he believes passing is key and I don't believe a word of it.  I would love to hear what DaBoll & Dorsey have to say about that.

The O line improved primarily because Brown got better and the Bills got rid of the worst guard in the NFL (Saffold).  A guard that Bean and company thought would be enough in 2022.  And I'm not convinced that without Allen's unique ability to escape pressure the O line would have looked so good.

People can hate on Dunne all they want, I am not familiar with his work beyond this latest stuff.  But IMO he is speaking the truth and saying what needs to be said.  I live in Cincinnati where for years some fans kept saying they had to move beyond Marvin Lewis.  But Lewis had raised the Bengals from the pit of despair to being a perennial playoff team.  That they didn't win any playoff games didn't seem to phase the Lewis supporters who demonized Bengal fans who wanted him gone.  The ONLY difference I see between Lewis ad McD is that McD has a much better QB so he actually wins some playoff games.

If we stick with McD the farthest the Bills will advance is the Divisional Playoff Round. 

If you believe that McDermott truly doesn't believe in passing, then why move on from Tyrod for Allen?  Tyrod was literally the perfect quarterback for your version of McD -- play it safe, turnover adverse, etc.  Yet, in less than half a season, McD benched Tyrod and then after that season replaced him with Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s easy to see who read this article and who just crapped  out the same tired “it’s just Dunne hating on McD” responses.

its a well made argument by Dunne.  If you don’t agree with it, come up with an equally well argued counter.  

Pegula is checked out.  Happy to have one of his teams at least having national relevance while the other wallows in mud. Hes got his stadium coming and rabid fans—enough of whom think it’s fine to rack up regular season wins and get bounced in the playoffs (“remember the drought???!!”)  The money prints itself either way.  Laugh at Jerry Jones all you want, but it’s clear he agonizes over the misfortunes of his team when it consistently comes up short in the post season.  

I can't read the entire article because I dont pay for his material, but going off of what has been quoted here:

1) He states that because of "drought brain" certain people can't question the process of the team, and will make excuses.  I think that's a piss poor thing to say if you want to make an honest statement and discussion

2) Allen is part of the team, and the Bills have provided incremental improvements to the team over the course of the past several years.  If Dunne wants to state its not enough, fine.  But the situation isn't binary - Allen has received help, and the team has ALSO used resources towards other areas, which is part of the reason we have had a top 5 defense and top 5 offense for the past 3 years.

3) He makes reference to the press conference McD had, and comments about neutering Allen's arm.  But in the same press conference, McD acknowledges that passing is the most important part of the offense.  So why is Dunne using opinion that doesn't have basis in facts as a way to scorn McD?  Because he wants to prove a point that is his OPINION.

4) "Allen could speak up.  He wont rock the boat".  Maybe he doesnt want to rock the boat?  Maybe he believes McD is the right coach for the job.  Dunne is going off of assumptions of Allen's thoughts without the ability to talk to him.

5) "That means unleashing the best player in full".  I believe we saw Allen unleashed on that final drive, and some have stated that his over-aggression on a throw to Shakir was too ambitious in the moment.  So can we really have it both ways?  Is Allen that perfect in Dunne's eyes that we gloss over the fact that the gameplan was played generally well and then those same people that want McD gone for not letting Allen be Allen can be critical of Allen going "out of the gameplan" for his throw to Shakir?  Which BTW, I was totally fine with

6) "Laugh at Jerry Jones all you want" I will, because he is a meddling owner and his team has done what in the last 25 years? 

Again, I haven't read the entire article, because I haven't paid for it.  And with the snippets Ive seen, I dont really want to either. 

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Shortly after that quote he wrote:

McDermott later said that he believes you “throw to win” in this league. Encouraging. We’ll see which actions match which words one year from now. This team can only be judged in the playoffs.

So he acknowledged what McDermott said and admits it’s encouraging. 

That's good.  I'd wish Cincybillsfan would acknowledge that instead of putting pockets of statements out there

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You mean like what McD did to Leslie Frazier?!!!

Yeah.

Did he do that to Leslie Frazier?

Because McDermott’s defensive players absolutely love him. If he did Frazier bad do you think that would be the case?

6 minutes ago, 17years&waiting said:

If you believe that McDermott truly doesn't believe in passing, then why move on from Tyrod for Allen?  Tyrod was literally the perfect quarterback for your version of McD -- play it safe, turnover adverse, etc.  Yet, in less than half a season, McD benched Tyrod and then after that season replaced him with Allen.  

I didn't say McD didn't believe in the forward pass.  I said that McD is unable to fully grasp & exploit the power of a modern NFL passing attack in the way that an offensive minded coach can.  And I believe that McD wanted Allen to be Tyrod on steroids.  Allen was a strong armed project that very few saw as morphing into the most effective dual threat QB in NFL history. 

IMO Allen has not tuned into the QB that McD really wanted. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

One more time.  I lived through this down here in Cincinnati with Marvin Lewis. The difference was that while I supported the Bengals they were my #2 team behind the Bills.  Now I'm seeing history repeat itself with McD.  And it's almost an exact replication of the Lewis saga down here.  The only difference is where Lewis was 0 - 7 in the playoffs McD is 5 - 6.  But McD has a much better QB then Lewis had. 

So sorry if after 3 straight years of losing in the Divisional Playoff round I'm throwing up my hand and saying if you don't move on from McD now you will have another 3 or 4 years of early playoff exits.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You mean like what McD did to Leslie Frazier?!!!

Yeah.

You mean like how you just made that up.  Frazier has repeatedly made it very clear why he needed a break and when he made the decision.  It had nothing to do with McD pushing him out.

But hey, why listen to facts from the sources themselves when you can just manufacture your own narratives right?

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was a person who said mid-season that the Bills should turn the page from McDermott.

I can't sit here and say that I 100% changed my mind on that, or that I'm fully confident McDermott should be the guy moving forward.

But I would be remiss not to mention this:

From the bye week onward, and really from the publishing of the first Ty Dunne article onward, I thought McDermott improved dramatically. He fired his offensive coordinator midseason and replace him with a guy who, by most accounts, was better equipped for the job. He did a deep dive on his own defense over the bye week and came back with more aggressiveness, disguise, and variety, and the unit improved dramatically. He started coaching with more aggressiveness in his gameday decision making, routinely going for it on 4th down on his own side of the field and early in games. He started being more aggressive in his end-of-game decision making and defensive play calling. In short, he improved on almost all of the areas about which myself and others had concerns about him.

On top of all of that, his players rallied around him and won five straight games to secure the two-seed, then won a playoff game and almost won another. I thought the way the players backed him up when the chips were down spoke volumes. Rallying to the two-seed after the way the season started also spoke volumes.

All of this is to say that McDermott has reached a point where I no longer watch him on game day and think "he has to go. He can't get the job done. It's time to move on". From about the bye week onward, his decision making and his coaching were impressive to me, as were the results on the field. Even in the Chiefs playoff game, it's hard to say with a straight face that McDermott was the reason we lost. 

It's all a moot point anyway, because McDermott will be the coach in 2024. But I, for one, am no longer in the "he needs to be shown the door immediately" camp. With the way he improved the second half of the season and into the playoffs, and the way the players still seem to buy into his coaching and his culture, he has indisputably earned himself another season at the helm of the Buffalo Bills. If the Bills give up 30 and lose in the Divisional round again next season, we can re-visit the topic.

I've revisited this topic for 6 years now since the Houston game.  The fake punt on your own 30 was pure stupidity.  Just sit Martin down for 1 week and play Haack if you have such little faith in Martin.  His historical playoff defenses have been terrible again dating back to giving up 22 2nd half points to Watson.  He and his playoff defenses (healthy or not) just have no clue how to stop elite qbs.  We stopped Lamar once and that's it.  Our 4 DL starters (all healthy) did nothing stopping Pacheco or Pat.  Why is Klein on Kelce?? 14 pts right there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't care about Ty Dunne and I think it's pretty obvious that he is writing hit pieces on McDermott because it's good for business.

But I will say I think you can summarize McDermott as a head coach with one play - giving the ball to Hamlin on a fake punt in a critical moment of a playoff game. That is who McDermott is. He makes decisions that are safe and comfortable and warm. He makes decisions rooted in emotion and a misguided belief in destiny. That's nice for the Disney channel. For the National Football League it's a joke. I don't want a coach that thinks he's the star of a feel good sports movie. I want a coach that understands he's going to war.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

One more time.  I lived through this down here in Cincinnati with Marvin Lewis. The difference was that while I supported the Bengals they were my #2 team behind the Bills.  Now I'm seeing history repeat itself with McD.  And it's almost an exact replication of the Lewis saga down here.  The only difference is where Lewis was 0 - 7 in the playoffs McD is 5 - 6.  But McD has a much better QB then Lewis had. 

So sorry if after 3 straight years of losing in the Divisional Playoff round I'm throwing up my hand and saying if you don't move on from McD now you will have another 3 or 4 years of early playoff exits.

One potential key difference is McDermott has Josh Allen while Lewis had Andy Dalton/Carson Palmer.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hawaii50 said:

One potential key difference is McDermott has Josh Allen while Lewis had Andy Dalton/Carson Palmer.

And that's why McD is 5 - 6 in the layoffs whereas Lewis was 0 - 7.  But can you honestly say that McD will get us past the Divisional round?  He did it ONE time in 5 playoff games.  IMO in the playoffs Allen covers up a lot of the weaknesses of McD and how Bean has structured this team.

If McD has hit his wall then the Bills must move on from him.  Allen is to good of a QB to be satisfied with a divisional playoff appearance.  Marv Levy's wall was the Super Bowl and that was acceptable.  But if a coaches wall is anything less then a SB appearance when you have a QB as good as Allen then that is not acceptable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I sentence is all you need.

We will never win a Superbowl with McD. 

Piss and moan about Nasty T.Dunne and how he’s a big jerkface but he isn’t wrong because

We we will never win a Superbowl with  McD

This window is most likely closed which means this is the time to clean house. Josh needs to be #1 , not 1 of 53. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

His article last time seemed to light a fire under McD and the team, so we'll see what happens after this one. It's safe to say McD bought himself another year...

No thanks.   The bum got pantsed again.

Reid stole his lunch money in that second half, even with the fluky touchback gift.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

Tyler Dunne sucks. He was waiting to hit publish and praying the Bills lost before the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

If you don't understand, then why are you posting.  Maybe would be better if you just read what people with a brain actually say. 

So yes the Bills should do something that has never been done in the history of sports!  And you don't understand that!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.