It may not be fair to Brady but we need to expand our search for offensive coordinator

Beast

He took over mid-season and basically had to run Dorsey’s offense. Our passing game really never got on track under him. Was Dorsey’s offense the reason? Was it the lack of play-making wide receivers (then why fire Dorsey) Was it something else? 

The Bills, with Josh Allen as their QB, need to be an offense that you expect to put up 30 points a game. The Bills struggled to do that way too often. Tight games against inferior opponents. Even during the winning streak.

Brady may be the answer. I just don’t know. What I do know is I would search high and low for any and all offensive minds that are available and I’d get on this ASAP. As in today. You can’t wait around for a week or two because other teams are looking.  The Bills can’t screw around with this and not look to see if there are better options. 

Like I said, Brady may be the guy that gets the job anyway but it certainly shouldn’t be by default. If it is, that is our first mistake in what is now our off-season.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Maybe. It wasn't perfect. But we would not have made the playoffs without him. Against KC he schemed guys open & had them in a chance to win. Sherfield & Diggs dropping passes, not blocking long enough to get that pass to Shakir in the end zone or not dumping it to Diggs. None of that is on Brady. That's the players. I thought he did a great job coming in mid season. I bet he's even better with an off-season to plan. I vote we keep him, which means Jack sheet since they don't consult me. We need a young WR-1 most of all cause good players make good coaches.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Maybe. It wasn't perfect. But we would not have made the playoffs without him. Against KC he schemed guys open & had them in a chance to win. Sherfield & Diggs dropping passes, not blocking long enough to get that pass to Shakir in the end zone or not dumping it to Diggs. None of that is on Brady. That's the players. I thought he did a great job coming in mid season. I bet he's even better with an off-season to plan. I vote we keep him, which means Jack sheet since they don't consult me. We need a young WR-1 most of all cause good players make good coaches.

It’s not about one game to me. I wasn’t complaining about our offense last night. I think they did good overall but the passing game was just OK.  When KC shut our running game down better we struggled.

This is about very pedestrian efforts through the air against a lot of teams down the stretch. The Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins….all games where our passing game looked mediocre at best. Games they certainly won but eeked them out probably more due to defensive efforts. So I disagree that we wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him. The defense carried the team down the stretch.

The Last 7 games, to include the playoffs, the Bills offense scored 57 points.in the second half of games. That’s a three and a half game output of 16.2 points over 60 minutes. That simply is not good enough. At the very least that shouldn’t secure Joe Brady the job of being this teams offensive coordinator without competition.

Edited by Beast

I'd say yeah we do need a new OC.

We ran the ball but passing game was less than stellar under Brady

But tbh, talking about replacing just our OC is like changing a light bulb on a totalled vehicle. Sure, the bulb is blown, but the MFing car ain't going anywhere anyway

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I like Joe Brady. I Think he should keep the job. I like our balance attack approach  but I think if he going to continue with that approach and wants to take the offense to next level bring in Derrick Henry. Make him and Cook our 1-2 punch out the backfield and add another WR. I think it would take our offense to another level. 

The entire league is about stealing plays from other teams, so running someone elses playbook is really not a big deal.

What separates OC, is situational play calling.  Brady has fallen off a cliff there.  Need to bring in someone else.

I thought Brady called a good game last night. Sure there is always one or two playcalls here and there you want back, newflash, Andy Reid had a couple of those too - like running a gimmick play at the goalline when Pacheco had rumbled his way in mere moments before. 

I don't think the execution issues on the final drive were on Brady. I mostly liked the calls. What we need is explosiveness outside. That is a desperate need. It was a need last offseason when Gabe was healthy and Stef was coming off a huge year. It is an even bigger need with Gabe hurt and out of contract and Stef nicked up and underperforming down the stretch. 

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Replace him with who though? All of the great coordinators will get HC jobs or stay in a comfortable situation. 

How many OC's does McDermott get to go through?

Right. There are never any up and comers. All great offensive coordinators were hired as such, right? They didn’t start off as positional coaches.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought Brady called a good game last night. Sure there is always one or two playcalls here and there you want back, newflash, Andy Reid had a couple of those too - like running a gimmick play at the goalline when Pacheco had rumbled his way in mere moments before. 

I don't think the execution issues on the final drive were on Brady. I mostly liked the calls. What we need is explosiveness outside. That is a desperate need. It was a need last offseason when Gabe was healthy and Stef was coming off a huge year. It is an even bigger need with Gabe hurt and out of contract and Stef nicked up and underperforming down the stretch. 

Again, this is not about one game or even saying Brady might not be capable.

It’s saying that they should look to improve because, quite frankly, the offense struggled for the most part. Even under Brady’s watch.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Again, this is not about one game or even saying Brady might not be capable.

It’s saying that they should look to improve because, quite frankly, the offense struggled for the most part. Even under Brady’s watch.

I think the reason for our offensive struggles go back to Brandon Beane above anybody else. 

Find an OC who is a master, one with long term success.  one who has already been fired as a HC.  We don’t want our OC leaving in 1-2 years. Joe Brady is already getting HC interviews for Pete’s sake. 

id put Kliff Kingsbury on that list. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the reason for our offensive struggles go back to Brandon Beane above anybody else. 

Maybe so but he has brought in Kincaid and Cook….and the o-line is looking nice.

Edited by Beast

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Right. There are never any up and comers. All great offensive coordinators were hired as such, right? They didn’t start off as positional coaches.

No. You make  good point.

I'm just saying a HC should only get so many opportunities to change coordinators. 

7 - 2 vs decent competition taking over under bad circumstances mid stream & not running your own offense….. I think he did an admirable job and deserves a shot.

Last night was a defensive issue not offensive.  

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

It’s not about one game to me. I wasn’t complaining about our offense last night. I think they did good overall but the passing game was just OK.  When KC shut our running game down better we struggled.

This is about very pedestrian efforts through the air against a lot of teams down the stretch. The Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins….all games where our passing game looked mediocre at best. Games they certainly won but eeked them out probably more due to defensive efforts. So I disagree that we wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him. The defense carried the team down the stretch.

The Last 7 games, to include the playoffs, the Bills offense scored 57 points.in the second half of games. That’s a three and a half game output of 16.2 points over 60 minutes. That simply is not good enough. At the very least that shouldn’t secure Joe Brady the job of being this teams offensive coordinator without competition.

I 100% agree w/ you that the downfield passing was the biggest problem. I just think it's more an indictment of the WR group than the OC. Sherfield & Diggs dropping balls wasn't on Brady, he had plays that had them open. We need a young legit WR-1 & move Diggs to WR-2, Shakir is good but we need new WR-4 & 5. That's the fix. A new coordinator with the same kind of WR group we have now won't fix it.

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Naw, took too long to adjust to the Kc adjustments, to many stalled drives and only 7 points in the second half. We need better…

Brady's script early in the game is so good. Lots of presnap motions and things, and then he just gets away from it. There are plays that he calls like the 4th down to Shakir that was just a great design as he is scheming the guy open. I loved it. I feel like the potential is there for Brady and I would like to see what he can do with a full season of scheming and prepping. But I do think they at least have to interview some guys. They would be crazy not to. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Naw, took too long to adjust to the Kc adjustments, to many stalled drives and only 7 points in the second half. We need better…

If Diggs & Sherfield could catch wouldn't have been 7 points. His play calls had guys open, they didn't execute, that's not on him. I agree he could have adjusted faster but w/o better pass catching from the WRs, changing OC won't change the results.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

He took over mid-season and basically had to run Dorsey’s offense. Our passing game really never got on track under him. Was Dorsey’s offense the reason? Was it the lack of play-making wide receivers (then why fire Dorsey) Was it something else? 

The Bills, with Josh Allen as their QB, need to be an offense that you expect to put up 30 points a game. The Bills struggled to do that way too often. Tight games against inferior opponents. Even during the winning streak.

Brady may be the answer. I just don’t know. What I do know is I would search high and low for any and all offensive minds that are available and I’d get on this ASAP. As in today. You can’t wait around for a week or two because other teams are looking.  The Bills can’t screw around with this and not look to see if there are better options. 

Like I said, Brady may be the guy that gets the job anyway but it certainly shouldn’t be by default. If it is, that is our first mistake in what is now our off-season.

Tend to agree.  Think last night was Brady's worst game, but may be because it was against the best team he faced.  When things stopped worked in this game he just kept doing it again rather than trying something different.  Too many 1st down runs for 0 or 1 yard gain late, so now 2nd and long.

The only issue with doing a search is timing.  Until he's named OC, he's up for poaching too.  Are there really better OC's out there that aren't already an OC?  Likely would need to find another Joe Brady, a guy who was an OC, got fired and now is a position coach.  But then you're hiring a guy who wasn't a good OC tostart with.

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Don't disagree with you, but there's a whole bunch of other threads saying the issue is coaching, McD specifically and need to fire him.  So how can it not be the same here.  Granted one difference is more history with McD, but still same issues yesterday on HC dropped passes, not taking easy check down throws, and multiple injuries.

• Agree 1

The Bills dominated offensively for the most part vs  very good Chiefs defense and he had a great game imo when looking at it on a whole the bills dominated time of possession, first downs, good on thrid down and fourth down.  Dook dropped a TD pass that was then made up on the Shakir TD.  

I look forward o what he does moving forward he looked good enough i am excited to see what he does moving forward

3 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

If Diggs & Sherfield could catch wouldn't have been 7 points. His play calls had guys open, they didn't execute, that's not on him. I agree he could have adjusted faster but w/o better pass catching from the WRs, changing OC won't change the results.

Can’t argue with that, those were game changing plays. But  often he’s too predictable, every first down inside the 10 is a run. What really needs to be seen is what he could do with better receivers. He also got away from using Kincaid during the drives that were stopped. Kids a beast and could have been used better during the season and last night.

• Agree 1

Very entertaining game… Very disappointing result.

We had our chances to win… Couple dropped passes… 

Defensive and Offensive play calling didn’t adjust to KC 2nd Half schemes… Forced Allen to improvise too often… and play Hero Ball late in the game…

Next year.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills ran 78 offensive plays to the Chiefs 44 ( I subtracted the kneel downs). What more do you want the offensive coordinator to do? Come on!!!!

More than 24 points at home?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Brady has a great commitment to the run game but there was no designed play action off of it. He had KC on their heels defensively to the point they were run blitzing. If Brady would’ve called some action off the run looks we could’ve had some open chunk plays.

It drove me crazy that he never set up anything the whole game. I was waiting for it but he just kept running it! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

7 - 2 vs decent competition taking over under bad circumstances mid stream & not running your own offense….. I think he did an admirable job and deserves a shot.

Last night was a defensive issue not offensive.  

That will be his key, can he design an offense that schemes receivers to be open? Can he figure out how to have Kincaid more involved .

44 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

I liked Brady's playcalling for the most part. Give him a full off-season and I think you'll see a better playbook.

But still not sure the offense has the horses other than Josh no matter who the coordinator is.

The lack of horses argument is not valid to me, Shakir, Cook, Kincaid, Diggs(what happened to him?) are all weapons.  If you want a better number 2 great I am good with that, the holes on defense are much greater, they have one DT for next year and 2 DE's.  They also need an overall at safety.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

WCO and a true #2 WR.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.