Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

curious:

entire game play more or less run the clock out football including up to the 2 min warning.  2 min warning change the game plan, miss a wide open diggs in the flat to run more clock out, get a first down?

in a game where the defense is unlikely to stop the chiefs the coaches and the qb all forget and start throwing?

I don't believe anyone on this board with an honest football acumen can sit here and say those were the best 3 plays of football in the year when they needed the best 3 plays.  that was some of the worst play calling and the worst execution other than adam sandlering it and chucking a pick.

it makes zero sense in the context of the game, 13 seconds, the game plan, all of it.

there is no good explanation for possessing the ball with a pretty easy 1st down near the 10 to chuck into the endzone back to back with 150 remaining given the context of the game, high school coaches and qb's know better, be honest.  that was buffalo literally giving a winnable game to the chiefs to send swifties to the next round and pound the ratings.

Edited by BillsfaninCT
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think the Diggs or Shakir option is a toss up which one is the one to take. As others have said, who knows if Diggs would have dropped it anyway? Or fumbled? Or there would be a tipped interception on the next play? Where the opportunity is there to try for a TD, should it be taken?

Who knows if Shakir drops it or tips it for pick if the throw got there. You can say what ifs for any and everything. The Bills were trying to bleed the clock. Scoring there would give the chefs the ball with plenty of time and timeouts when we can’t stop them. Throwing to Diggs was the correct play if you’re sticking to the plan they had all game. 

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

curious:

entire game play more or less run the clock out football including up to the 2 min warning.  2 min warning change the game plan, miss a wide open diggs in the flat to run more clock out, get a first down?

in a game where the defense is unlikely to stop the chiefs the coaches and the qb all forget and start throwing?

I don't believe anyone on this board with an honest football acumen can sit here and say those were the best 3 plays of football in the year when they needed the best 3 plays.  that was some of the worst play calling and the worst execution other than adam sandlering it and chucking a pick.

it makes zero sense in the context of the game, 13 seconds, the game plan, all of it.

The play calls were fine. They were designed to continue to run clock. The execution was the problem. Josh went away from the plan and went for end zone instead of moving the chains and running more clock. Reminds me of when he rolled his eyes when Tom Brady was talking about taking what defense gives you. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Who knows if Shakir drops it or tips it for pick if the throw got there. You can say what ifs for any and everything. The Bills were trying to bleed the clock. Scoring there would give the chefs the ball with plenty of time and timeouts when we can’t stop them. Throwing to Diggs was the correct play. 

Though do you take the TD when the opportunity presents itself, rather than check down because there might be a chance on the next set of downs?

I don’t know. I feel Josh carried the Bills all night and am split whether he let us down in the end. Can see the arguments from both sides.

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Who knows if Shakir drops it or tips it for pick if the throw got there. You can say what ifs for any and everything. The Bills were trying to bleed the clock. Scoring there would give the chefs the ball with plenty of time and timeouts when we can’t stop them. Throwing to Diggs was the correct play. 

Does anyone have video of that play??

right, the execution was terrible.  so all of sudden josh lost his mind and said yeah forget about running the clock out i want the TD thats what's being said I don't believe that, because literally the previous play and the ones before the 2min warning were run the clock out.  he looked right at diggs and then looked right at the other 2 on 3rd down, i've watched the replay for hours, it's adam sandler.

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I have the game saved on my fubo recording and watched it for 2hours.  adam sandler, there's no way, there's no way anyone with a high school football acumen does that sequence.  then miss a 40yd wide right?  make me a better story.

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Though do you take the TD when the opportunity presents itself, rather than check down because there might be a chance on the next set of downs?

I don’t know. I feel Josh carried the Bills all night and am split whether he let us down in the end. Can see the arguments from both sides.

Can be both. He did carry us but he also did make some poor decisions. I don’t put the loss on him though. This was a team loss. 

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I do not. 

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

right, the execution was terrible.  so all of sudden josh lost his mind and said yeah forget about running the clock out i want the TD thats what's being said I don't believe that, because literally the previous play and the ones before the 2min warning were run the clock out.  he looked right at diggs and then looked right at the other 2 on 3rd down, i've watched the replay for hours, it's adam sandler.

I have the game saved on my fubo recording and watched it for 2hours.  adam sandler, there's no way, there's no way anyone with a high school football acumen does that sequence.  then miss a 40yd wide right?  make me a better story.

Can you somehow post that play? I agree with you, I just would love to watch it back so my heart breaks even more

the goal there is to get a 1st down, like who on the football planet of earth doesn't know the goal is to get a 1st down????  you likely do not win the game if you score a TD with more than 10 seconds on the clock, cause the defense has to be accepted as inadequate so you run the clock out that's all there is to it and they literally did all of the wrong possible things lol.  make me believe it.

i don't think we're allowed to post the tv coverage but somebody will post those 2 pass plays and it's inexplicable in the context of what's needed to win the game.

Edited by BillsfaninCT
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

If you want to win a Super Bowl you have to make plays

Diggs didn't 

Sherfield didn't 

The entire defensive line didn't 

Bass didn't 

This team had injuries. Those injuries mattered. But at the end of the day if one or two guys make a play we are headed to Baltimore 

Agreed, but let’s add Josh to this he needed to take the short across the middle to Diggs on second and Kinkade on third to make a short 4th or the kick 6-8-9 yards shorter. Might still miss. Also while we are at it why did Josh not run they had time outs. Move him outside the pocket, make KC defend the whole field. 

anyway seen so many of these games I’m numb and sad but nothing really to be done about that game. I think next year could be ugly with the cap age and lack of talent all over the roster.

the goal there is to get a 1st down, like who on the football planet of earth doesn't know the goal is to get a 1st down????  you likely do not win the game if you score a TD with more than 10 seconds on the clock, cause the defense has to be accepted as inadequate so you run the clock out that's all there is to it and they literally did all of the wrong possible things lol.  make me believe it.

Exactly, well put.

The Bills are exactly who I thought they were…a pretty good team with a great QB, a mediocre coach, a couple young rising stars on offense, and a lot of aging/middling talent that needs to be replaced. For anybody who’s watched all their games this year, the latter seemed fairly obvious.

Myself and a few others have been saying this for months now, and taking a lot of puke emojis, Red Xs, Eyerolls, and Thumb downs in here, but that’s OK.

The injuries definitely didn’t help, but in the end, I believe Reid would have outcoached McD in any case, and the results would have been the same. JA can only do so much, as this is a true team sport.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

If you want to win a Super Bowl you have to make plays

Diggs didn't 

Sherfield didn't 

The entire defensive line didn't 

Bass didn't 

This team had injuries. Those injuries mattered. But at the end of the day if one or two guys make a play we are headed to Baltimore 

IMO, this sums it all up.  The Bills do not have any playmakers.  When needed most, everyone not named Allen or Shakir came up small.  

We just don’t have any WR that can catch a contested ball.  We don’t have a defensive line that can generate any pressure.  Cook for all his ability, just came up small.  

Another year ends the same as the last 4.  Why?   The Bills coaches can’t make adjustments and get out schemed.  And we don’t have players that can overcome that and just make a play when it’s needed most. 

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninCT said:

Make you believe what? That Josh makes poor decisions at times? You shouldn’t need someone to make you believe that. Your eyes should see it every season. He’s inconsistent with decision making and has been most of his career. He will have amazing stretches of play along with boneheaded decisions. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Anyone including ownership that thinks things will be different next year is delusional.  This is what you get with McDermott , nothing more sometimes less.

Mahomes showed he can hit wide open wide recievers and not much more. Not that impressive of a showing vs a decimated defense. 

Lol. Obviously, your dislike for him outweighs sensibility. Your post is ridiculous. 

18 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Who knows if Shakir drops it or tips it for pick if the throw got there. You can say what ifs for any and everything. The Bills were trying to bleed the clock. Scoring there would give the chefs the ball with plenty of time and timeouts when we can’t stop them. Throwing to Diggs was the correct play if you’re sticking to the plan they had all game. 

The play calls were fine. They were designed to continue to run clock. The execution was the problem. Josh went away from the plan and went for end zone instead of moving the chains and running more clock. Reminds me of when he rolled his eyes when Tom Brady was talking about taking what defense gives you. 

The defense gave him a TD and protection never held up and forced a bad pass. 

• Like (+1) 1

Once we got to the 2 minute warning (and the play before), the only play I may have called was a Josh run. Worst case scenario is it drains clock and/or forces the chiefs to use a timeout and gives Bass a shorter field goal. Best case wss he continued having success and drained the clock leading to a game winning TD.

Or I throw a simple short route to Kincaid 

Joe Brady called a great game but I didn't love the last 3 plays

Edited by stlbills13
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Well, sleeping sucked last night, but here's a few of my thoughts - 

We had a chance to win and Josh made some dumb passes at the end and Ofcourse bass sucked. Having said that, this team over achieved the last half of the season. Half our defense was hurt. We have no wide receivers and our number one can't even catch the ball. This was not the team to win it all. However, getting healthy and adding a few pieces and this team can definitely win it all next year. Even if we pulled this game out, I don't think we would've beat Baltimore 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, stlbills13 said:

Once we got to the 2 minute warning (and the play before), the only play I may have called was a Josh run. Worst case scenario is it drains clock and/or forces the chiefs to use a timeout and gives Bass a shorter field goal. Best case wss he continued having success and drained the clock leading to a game winning TD.

Or I throw a simple short route to Kincaid 

Joe Brady called a great game but I didn't love the last 3 plays

Joe Brady called a play that had multiple open receivers. Josh chose the wrong throw. 

• Agree 3

i watched it for over an hour AFTER THE GAME rewinding it, cannot be explained.  scoring the TD doesn't win the game so either the coaches or Josh decided to try and not win the game... it's not complicated.  1st down wins at worst ties the game... but instead do everything except that.

inexplicable

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My take on the game, and the state of the team:

1) Seeing the Bills Fans crying on TV was a semi-traumatic experience for me. It was just so sad. Bills Fans are clearly the most loyal fans of any team in any sport. It really hurt to see these wonderful, loyal folks this upset.

2) Josh is GREAT!!! He is more talented than John Elway. They should extend him today with a HUGE raise, and I don't care how many years are left on his contract. 

3) I think that most of us long time fans knew that there was every chance that he would miss that FG. 

4) Without Josh, the Bills are just a pretty good team with a fairly decent coach (who has far too much power).

5) I strongly doubt that McDermott will be fired. Pegula appears to be spellbound by him. 

6) The upcoming draft will be pivotal. The team desperately needs wide receivers and must continue to bolster the offensive line. Josh HAS to be protected. Will McDermott focus on these issues? It's really hard to say. Am I super confident that he will? No.

7) GO BILLS TODAY, TOMORROW, and FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

The Bills are exactly who I thought they were…a pretty good team with a great QB, a mediocre coach, a couple young rising stars on offense, and a lot of aging/middling talent that needs to be replaced. For anybody who’s watched all their games this year, the latter seemed fairly obvious.

Myself and a few others have been saying this for months now, and taking a lot of puke emojis, Red Xs, Eyerolls, and Thumb downs in here, but that’s OK.

The injuries definitely didn’t help, but in the end, I believe Reid would have outcoached McD in any case, and the results would have been the same. JA can only do so much, as this is a true team sport.

So then for you guys today must be Christmas because you get to go in these threads and say “I told you so!” You guys like to watch the Bills with a pessimistic point of view-don’t know how that’s enjoyable but that’s cool for you. Works out perfectly for you though-if the Bills win you get to pretend you’re still a fan and now that they’ve lost you get some sort of weird smug satisfaction out of that too. Cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Well, sleeping sucked last night, but here's a few of my thoughts - 

We had a chance to win and Josh made some dumb passes at the end and Ofcourse bass sucked. Having said that, this team over achieved the last half of the season. Half our defense was hurt. We have no wide receivers and our number one can't even catch the ball. This was not the team to win it all. However, getting healthy and adding a few pieces and this team can definitely win it all next year. Even if we pulled this game out, I don't think we would've beat Baltimore 

Go back to sleep. 

The team didn't over achieve at the end of the season. They played solid football and won games like they should have earlier in the year. 

The defense was hurt all year. Guys stepped up when they needed to. McD had no answers to stop Mahomes. He's the best QB in the league. Pacheco was effective and the Bills pass rush failed to make Mahomes uncomfortable. The Bills D front was as healthy as can be. Yes injuries hurt but healthy veterans and starters had little impact either. Another playoff game where the pass rush didn't show up and the run D was ok. I refuse to use injuries as an excuse. All teams have them and it part of the game. That's why solid non starters are crucial to a teams success. 

The this is not the team to win it all suddenly becomes a theme now? Funny, how that is when the vast majority on here sing a variety song of how the Bills will win it all. A musical theme that plays throughout the season for several years now. Maybe if we say it enough...

The old let's wait til next year theme. Here we go again. That started up early. 

Lastly, the we wouldn't have beaten Baltimore anyway. Damn at least you are full of illogical excuses and thinking. The overwhelming theme here would have been the Bills will beat Baltimore. So get lost with this train of thought. 

Get some rest. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ya Digg? said:

So then for you guys today must be Christmas because you get to go in these threads and say “I told you so!” You guys like to watch the Bills with a pessimistic point of view-don’t know how that’s enjoyable but that’s cool for you. Works out perfectly for you though-if the Bills win you get to pretend you’re still a fan and now that they’ve lost you get some sort of weird smug satisfaction out of that too. Cool.

This is a problem throughout the entire 32 team fan base.

I think it gets magnified even more with the poster-child suffering fan bases, like Buffalo, Cleveland, Minnesota for instance.

Baltimore pass rush is going to wreck havoc on their OL. And they won't be going up and down the field. I think Baltimore wins it all in the end. 

Which tells me...this time would have gotten obliterated in Baltimore. Not that it makes this loss any better. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Joe Brady called a play that had multiple open receivers. Josh chose the wrong throw. 

I think he got hit but I still don't disagree. 

My main point was I would have used Allen's legs the rest of the way. It was successful all game.

And yes Josh could have just run it himself.

I think the inability for the defensive line to get an ounce of pressure on Mahomes and the Diggs/Sherfield drops cost us the game so I don't want to put too much on those last 3 playcalls.

• Like (+1) 1

i watched it for over an hour AFTER THE GAME rewinding it, cannot be explained.  scoring the TD doesn't win the game so either the coaches or Josh decided to try and not win the game... it's not complicated.  1st down wins at worst ties the game... but instead do everything except that.

inexplicable

What are you carrying on about? You saw what happened. You watched it for hours but still here asking what happened. You saw it. I’m going to put it on Josh because he makes the final decision on where the ball goes and I highly doubt Brady was in his ear before the mic turned off to throw it to the end zone. Josh has shown time and time again that he makes idiotic decisions with the ball at times. Why there’s the phrase Sugar rush Josh. Hero ball is thrown around(I don’t think that throw was a hero ball, just not the correct read) it happens and we all wonder what he was thinking. Then he makes an amazing throw and we forget all about it. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Go back to sleep. 

The team didn't over achieve at the end of the season. They played solid football and won games like they should have earlier in the year. 

The defense was hurt all year. Guys stepped up when they needed to. McD had no answers to stop Mahomes. He's the best QB in the league. Pacheco was effective and the Bills pass rush failed to make Mahomes uncomfortable. The Bills D front was as healthy as can be. Yes injuries hurt but healthy veterans and starters had little impact either. Another playoff game where the pass rush didn't show up and the run D was ok. I refuse to use injuries as an excuse. All teams have them and it part of the game. That's why solid non starters are crucial to a teams success. 

The this is not the team to win it all suddenly becomes a theme now? Funny, how that is when the vast majority on here sing a variety song of how the Bills will win it all. A musical theme that plays throughout the season for several years now. Maybe if we say it enough...

The old let's wait til next year theme. Here we go again. That started up early. 

Lastly, the we wouldn't have beaten Baltimore anyway. Damn at least you are full of illogical excuses and thinking. The overwhelming theme here would have been the Bills will beat Baltimore. So get lost with this train of thought. 

Get some rest. 

We would not have. But it would have been better losing there than at home to our masters. 

Just now, stlbills13 said:

My main point was I would have used Allen's legs the rest of the way. It was successful all game.

I think the inability for the defensive line to get an ounce of pressure on Mahomes and the Diggs/Sherfield drops cost us the game so I don't want to put too much on those last 3 playcalls.

He did get hit a little as he was making the throw. 

Just now, stlbills13 said:

He did get hit a little as he was making the throw. 

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

What are you carrying on about? You saw what happened. You watched it for hours but still here asking what happened. You saw it. I’m going to put it on Josh because he makes the final decision on where the ball goes and I highly doubt Brady was in his ear before the mic turned off to throw it to the end zone. Josh has shown time and time again that he makes idiotic decisions with the ball at times. Why there’s the phrase Sugar rush Josh. Hero ball is thrown around(I don’t think that throw was a hero ball, just not the correct read) it happens and we all wonder what he was thinking. Then he makes an amazing throw and we forget all about it. 

6 games and 58 mins of this game he check downs but the last 2 mins of the most important game you're saying he got sugar high josh and decided nah, running the clock isn't my gig i want the tuddy?  sorry i don't believe that's what happened at all.

Edited by BillsfaninCT
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Go back to sleep. 

Get some rest. 

Nah, I've been saying these things since we lost to Denver. Right or wrong, having a depleted defense and multiple starters out week after week is only gonna hold up so long. Allen got back to himself after Brady took over, but when he has no receivers, it'll only last so long. 0 plays of over 20 yards, while kc had 6(?). I'm sorry but I do not think these receivers would play good against Baltimore in there stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 games and 58 mins of this game he check downs but the last 2 mins of the most important game you're saying he got sugar high josh and decided nah, running the clock isn't my gig i want the tuddy?  sorry i don't believe that's what happened at all.

Cool. So what do you believe? Aliens did it? Cigarette smoking man was on sidelines? Adam Sandler? 

The pass was there, protection never held.  If he goes underneath there is still no guarantee if gets off an accurate pass. No guarantee it doesn’t lead to a missed Bass FG either. 

It’s laughable that the fans are scared to score a TD to early because they are more worried about the D not making a stop.  Says all you need to know about this team and this staff. Also says a lot about what the expectations are for Allen here. Asking him to pass up an open WR in the endzone when you need a TD so you can save a few clicks of the clock.  Who knows if you’ll get another look like that in upcoming plays.  ***** hilarious 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Bull####! Totally irrational thinking and a total cheap shot. 

I'll speak for myself. Take a seat and listen. Maybe you can learn something. 

I'm as pessimistic as they come. It is what it is. Perhaps the total collapses of centuries of Bills football has scarred my thinking beyond repair. 

Having a pessimistic or optimistic view of the Bills team is neither incorrect or correct. It's a perspective that's subjective. 

I am not playing some sort of hedge game as you imply. Totally ridiculous and unfounded statement that lacks credibility to the max. 

I get no enjoyment when the Bills lose whether I predicted it or not. As a fan, I always want the Bills to win!!! 

I'm not here to play the I told you so card. I give my pessimistic views and try to give some facts and reasonable opinions to back up my thought process. I've said often, I'm more wrong then right. It's about the Bills and not about me being right. I could really give a crap if I'm right. In fact, I want to be wrong because it's often a negative train of thought regarding the Bills. 

Lastly, I'd like to emphasize that being a pessimist doesn't mean I'm any less of a Bills fan. Many here and I suspect you feel otherwise. Sone don't see the glass half full. 

Your post was totally unprofessional and frankly embarrassing. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

It’s laughable that the fans are scared to score a TD to early because they are more worried about the D not making a stop.  Says all you need to know about this team and this staff. 

KC scored 27 points on 43 offensive plays. Yep, the fear was real lol. 

Of course, we will never know. Maybe Mahomes fumbles or throws an INT at the end. 

The torture continues. I won't watch the AFC title game next week. The fake MVP (Lamar) vs the real MVP. Yikes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.