Once and for all....PFFffffffft

eball

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Love this.  Many of us have been "skeptical" (I'm being kind) to the grading system PFF uses to assess NFL players. 

Glad someone of Watt’s stature finally said it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

PFF loves Josh Allen, FWIW. 

Not to defend PFF, but "literally putting a coaches grade next to a PFF grade" doesn't really prove much considering how many meatheads are coaching in the NFL. Coaches are constantly wrong when evaluating talent and situation. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 2

From the time I watched one of their little YouTube videos, probably about 5 or 6 years ago, and the clowns were claiming "they could tell which teams were going by the PFF draft guide, which was in circulation with all of the NFL GM's and FO's," after a recently completed NFL draft, I knew these guys were full of 💩. I'm thinking it was after the 2018 draft when I stumbled upon that gem. What a bunch of 🤡's, and Collinsworth is the one driving the VW. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Is this really surprising? 

You can have two NFL coaches grade a player completely differently.

Two GM's too.

That's why some will trade down in the draft and others will trade up to get the player that the other left there.

It doesn't mean PFF sucks. It means HIS coach graded it differently.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, eball said:

Love this.  Many of us have been "skeptical" (I'm being kind) to the grading system PFF uses to assess NFL players. 

I know this, you know this, we all know this.

The problem is, the coach's grades arent published online for us to use in discussions and arguments. So we gotta start somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Punch said:

Not to defend PFF, but "literally putting a coaches grade next to a PFF grade" doesn't really prove much considering how many meatheads are coaching in the NFL. Coaches are constantly wrong when evaluating talent and situation. 

They had Allen rated top QB during the season.

So, then they released their "All Pro" roster. For sure, they have graded everyone and this would be accurate, right? 

First team PFF QB...Lamar Jackson. Ok...ok...so maybe they just cowtowed to the likely MVP...so surely the QB they had rated BT THEIR OWN METRIC was 2nd team. Right? Nope...Dak.

PFF literally said...bah we don't even believe our ratings. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They had Allen rated top QB during the season.

So, then they released their "All Pro" roster. For sure, they have graded everyone and this would be accurate, right? 

First team PFF QB...Lamar Jackson. Ok...ok...so maybe they just cowtowed to the likely MVP...so surely the QB they had rated BT THEIR OWN METRIC was 2nd team. Right? Nope...Dak.

PFF literally said...bah we don't even believe our ratings. 

Trying to see if they can sucker in any new "subscribers" by bumping him up a bit :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Punch said:

But less wrong than those NOT coaching.

• Like (+1) 3

Coaches grades and PFF grades are very different.

Also why do people get so worked up over PFF grades? They’re subjective grades from people that have no attachment to the teams. Are players contracts being affected by PFF? Not sure why they’re always a huge topic. I view PFF similarly to analysts breaking down the game or giving opinions. It’s purely entertainment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

what is this supposed to prove?

all this love/hate for PFF (depending on their pumping/panning Bills players of course) is always good for a laugh...

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Never liked them no matter what grades are.  Even worse when it was constantly mentioned on broadcast.

how do your analytical methods of rating/reviewing players differ/disagree with theirs?

Not PFF specific, but it seemed almost the entire analytics crowd hated Josh Allen when he was coming out of college. Now, by large, the analytics community is constantly defending him whereas most of the criticism he receives comes almost exclusively from former players and talking heads--- typically, the least informed sports commentators wrt anything but the most casual biased stereotypes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.