Kaiir’s game

Ya Digg?

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So Elam is 'Gallant' to Gardiner's 'Goofus'?

Only old people and teef will get that reference. 🤔

"Gallant covers his receiver while Goofus runs right past his!"

lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

He got bowled over easily; had the egregious PI and then everyone knew they would continue to attack him.  

Then he intercepted that next play and it was mostly quiet after that.  

I did notice a certain unwillingness to tackle at least once later in the game, and I think I saw why he has been inactive.   

Come on. He got bowled over by a tight end that had a head of steam with 10 yard head start and 40 lbs on him.  I noticed him in a couple run stops at the line. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

So the PI was really bad, but he made up for it with the pick and almost had another one! I thought he had a pretty good game. Granted there’s a huge difference between Mahomes and Rudolph, but I have confidence he can go in and makes some plays if he needs to play next week. 

I’m trying to remember any other plays that caused concern and am not thinking of any. They needed him to step up and he did, props to him 

Seems to have a knack for big games. He also had an INT of Mahomes in the end zone last year.

Hopefully that gives him some confidence. Ironically, he might be valuable next week since the Chiefs defenders get away with a lot of grabbiness and illegal contacted something he is also known for.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't know if Elam will ever live up to his draft spot. I don't know if he will ever become a starting CB on this team. The way things have gone for Kaiir this year being a healthy scratch for much of the season... I know that can be a very difficult thing to overcome mentally. And then with the way things were going when he got in the game, getting run over, getting beat bad on routes, to come back from all that and make that play at that moment? I couldn't have been happier for Kaiir. I don't know if he's going to turn into a good football player... but as a human? I learned a lot about Kaiir last night, and I liked what I saw. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Why would he not be here next season?

I could see McBeane looking to salvage something via trade from a 1st Rounder that seems to not fit their mold after given a couple of seasons.

I have a different take on Elam.   I think he's a project, and his best games are ahead of him.  

We all know he struggled as a rookie.  But plenty of players struggle as rookies.  Bernard, for example.  Dotson.  Spector.  Williams.  All of the looked liked liabilities as rookies, and all of them have been valuable contributors in the last few games.  

Yes, Benford stepped in and played early, but he was a guy accustomed to playing in a complex defensive backfield scheme in college.  

I expected Elam to contribute this year, but then he got hurt and was unavailable until a month ago.   In meantime, as we would expected, he hasn't been sitting at home watching cartoons.   He's had his entire rookie season and most of this season to sit and study.  He has the physical tools, and it isn't surprising that with a chance to learn and understand concepts better, he could be put on the field on he could perform.

As someone pointed out, the play he got run over on was an obvious mismatch as it was happening.  I didn't know who was out there, but I knew he was about to get blasted.  It was ugly, but it wasn't surprising.   A tackle there would have been a great, great play, and a missed tackle was the likely outcome for most corners.  

The interference call, as someone else said, was a good play.   Every corner gets beat sometime.  Every single one.  Everyone holds.  Elam's play saved a touchdown.  

The INT was an important play at a key point in the game, for sure, but what I liked about it better than the INT was, along with the other INT, how good his coverage was.  In BOTH cases, his coverage was excellent, he was in position to make a tackle or a play on the ball, AND he showed the athletic ability actually to make a good play on the ball.  

Elam's a good example of what perhaps is McDermott's greatest talent - player development.   His system is complex and demanding, on both offense and defense.  You don't play until you can play within the system.  He creates an environment for people to learn and grow within the system, to become "the best version of themselves."   I'd forgotten that Isabella was on the team.  They signed him and put him in practice for how long - three months? - before he was called on to contribute.   In McDermott's system, no one is plug and play - you have to learn and develop.  But his system works, because he creates a TEAM, a group that works together, and together they are better than as individuals.  

It wasn't just Elam yesterday.  It was Klein and Williams and Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis and Damar Hamlin and Isabella and who knows who else.  The Bills had a lot of guys ready to play, and they without them, there probably would have been a different outcome.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

With apologies, I still don't think he is a willing tackler, and it is an obvious and significant flaw.

I hope he gets better.

On the play where he got run over, he was obviously willing.  It takes some guts to stand there and get blasted by a bigger dude.

After the game in an interview, he said his feet were cold when he first went in from just standing around on the sideline.  Until the INT he was clearly bad throughout his first drive.  But at least from watching the TV, the only other time I can recall him on a play was on the INT that he dropped, and that wasn't an easy catch.  Generally, a CB who doesn't get his name called must be doing something right.

He was quite below average in the early part of the season, which the Bills have attributed to his ankle injury (at least publicly).  Hopefully he will have more to offer if called upon again during the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

So the PI was really bad, but he made up for it with the pick and almost had another one! I thought he had a pretty good game. Granted there’s a huge difference between Mahomes and Rudolph, but I have confidence he can go in and makes some plays if he needs to play next week. 

I’m trying to remember any other plays that caused concern and am not thinking of any. They needed him to step up and he did, props to him 

Elam was shaky the entire game. His athleticism allowed him to make a couple big plays. Honestly, I am nervous w/ him out there against KC. I hope I’m wrong 

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

The Bills really need to put oven mitts on him at the start of OTCs next season.  He has got the "grabby habit" and he needs to be forced out of it.

To be fair, Rudolph was really slinging it yesterday.  He had his opportunity and he was really taking advantage.  He made some outstanding throws.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

how does he seem anything like one of the best CBs in the league??  that's nuts!!

On his PI-he was beat after 2 steps and decided it was best to simply grab the receiver by the jersey.

I do know that Next Sunday's ref crew apparently calls the largest number of DH penalties in the league and we can not afford that.

It is pretty clear that the Bills receivers are coached to take a penalty if they have to instead of being beaten for a score.

The play where he let himself get run over concerns me more.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.