Khalil Shakir might be my offensive version of Taron Johnson

I have been beating the drum for this kid since draft night and I love seeing him break out like he did this season.  I was shocked he was still on the board in the 5th as I had missed part of the 3rd and all the 4th round of that draft.  Absolutely loved the pick when we made it, I thought he could go as high as the 2nd and surely would be gone by the 3rd.  So to see him get to us there was awesome and one of my fave draft night picks of the past few years.

This offense is better when he gets involved, so I hope to see his touches keep going up to where they make an effort to get him the ball and call plays for him as a regular part of the offensive gameplan.  

I think Shakir could put up a big season if he got the targets

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Shakir has been great in his role, though I still think we should be looking for more speed at this point. Diggs, Davis, Shakir, etc. aren't "slow" or anything, it's just that we don't have that true burner that can easily go over the top of a defense.

Not saying we need the next Tyreek Hill or DK Metcalf, but even a younger, more consistent John Brown would be great.

I have nothing to add to this post, but I'm determined to read & comment on every thread on the page 1.... Don't judge me, I have a 3 day weekend & it's cold outside ok?! 🙃

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Shakir has been great in his role, though I still think we should be looking for more speed at this point. Diggs, Davis, Shakir, etc. aren't "slow" or anything, it's just that we don't have that true burner that can easily go over the top of a defense.

Not saying we need the next Tyreek Hill or DK Metcalf, but even a younger, more consistent John Brown would be great.

I have nothing to add to this post, but I'm determined to read & comment on every thread on the page 1.... Don't judge me, I have a 3 day weekend & it's cold outside ok?! 🙃

In the off-season absolutely we do not have a number two on this team we need to create a situation where we have a guy that can grow into the number one that serves as a number two

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A speedy outside guy with some home run threat would open the underneath stuff up even more for Shakir. 

If Brandon remembers wide receivers exist before day 3 that is.....

Stefon Diggs, who we got for a 1st rounder, says hi.

Having said that, I hear you.

But generally one of the main advantages of having an elite QB is that he can make good skill players look very good and very good skill players look excellent so you can use your draft and free agent ammunition elsewhere. And the Bills have now used two 1sts and a 2nd on skill positions fairly recently (Diggs, Kincaid and Cook).

Wouldn't mind at all, but I'm not expecting it, personally, unless the draft falls just right.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Stefon Diggs, who we got for a 1st rounder, says hi.

Having said that, I hear you.

But generally one of the main advantages of having an elite QB is that he can make good skill players look very good and very good skill players look excellent so you can use your draft and free agent ammunition elsewhere. And the Bills have now used two 1sts and a 2nd on skill positions fairly recently (Diggs, Kincaid and Cook).

Wouldn't mind at all, but I'm not expecting it, personally, unless the draft falls just right.

I agree.  I hope that WR is our pick rd 1 but it really depends on how the board falls.  If a stud DL is there, I suspect he’ll be our pick and then we will trade up in rd 2 to get a WR.  Beane has no problems trading up for his guy and it’s a deep WR class.  We might be able to double dip in rd 2 and 5 and still get 2 good playmakers while adding a cornerstone pass rusher.  And let this board erupt with fury

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  I hope that WR is our pick rd 1 but it really depends on how the board falls.  If a stud DL is there, I suspect he’ll be our pick and then we will trade up in rd 2 to get a WR.  Beane has no problems trading up for his guy and it’s a deep WR class.  We might be able to double dip in rd 2 and 5 and still get 2 good playmakers while adding a cornerstone pass rusher.  And let this board erupt with fury

This. I think we still go the best player available, with a few exceptions: QB, LB, TE

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Definitely a scenario where the draft doesn't fall. I would still have gone up a few extra spots for Addison. But there we are. He was so perfect for this offense.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

We need DK Metcalf and we should have drafted DK Metcalf.

I'll go to my grave believing that 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

This. I think we still go the best player available, with a few exceptions: QB, LB, TE

I’d add RB, OG and CB to that list

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Definitely a scenario where the draft doesn't fall. I would still have gone up a few extra spots for Addison. But there we are. He was so perfect for this offense.

I’m very happy with getting Kincaid, but I agree, Addison was the guy I wanted more than anyone. Kincaid was my second choice

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A speedy outside guy with some home run threat would open the underneath stuff up even more for Shakir. 

It would also allow the Bills to get the most out of Diggs and his contract at a time when he’s starting to show signs of decline. 

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Maybe just maybe they have been saving Harty for some deep plays. I know it’s a long shot but we can be hopeful. 

He was involved much more in New Orleans. We should have a play or two to take that deep shot and see what happens. Guy can def slip behind the D. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shakir Kincaid Knox and Diggs with Cook coming out of the backfield is a very dangerous receiving OR rushing personnel grouping 

With JA under center, Diggs or Shakir in motion, you cannot know what’s coming

Run lots of play action out of it and I think Buffalo could dominate 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/13/2024 at 3:13 AM, GunnerBill said:

Exaclty. 

Shakir is a decent option at slot. If they had a true speed guy at #2 the top 3 WR could be great. 

My issue with Shakir is he doesn't seem super quick like the elite slot guys like Edelman. But so what he can be an effective #3. 

But just to be clear #3 WR in this offense might still be 4th or 5th in targets when you add the RB and TE. I don't see him getting 80 catches out of the slot like Welker or Edelman did. 

• Agree 1

If Davis is going to miss multiple games this postseason and/or be hobbled (should we continue to advance), I’d love to see Sherfield outside with Harty rotating in for him and Diggs.  See if we can get Harty deep 1-2 times per game, and if not, use him to open up underneath routes for Kincaid and Shakir. 

I too wanted Addison, but I am interested to see if perhaps we got the right guy all along when it comes to needing to win in January.

Having a big body with a huge catch radius when throwing in the elements, who will only grow as a blocker as he develops, is something we desperately needed last year .. and now have this year. 

He also played at Utah, so he’s not facing the cold for the first time.  

• Agree 1

So when I said he’s the key to a playoff run, I wasn’t a complete idiot. I’m beaming.

Two Shakirs is better than one Shakir and one Davis. It’d be great to draft a hall of famer like JULES!, but maybe a really competent guy gets it done as well.

Here’s the tough part.. though still The Man, Diggs is isn’t climbing the latter anymore : he’s on his way down the slide. This makes it even more of a must-have situation for the Bills. WR needs to be addressed, and it’s not just because Gabe Davis isn’t the guy. The whole thing is a card of cards! 🤤

Edited by Thrivefourfive

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this board, but I hope Gabe is back for a deep playoff run. He makes big plays in big games. He makes difficult catches even as he drops easy ones. 

Bills need to have a good game plan to isolate DB on KC Kings who Gabe can out muscle.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:59 PM, Limeaid said:

Eric Moulds is very proud of his student!

This is one of the few comparisons that I completely agree with. Both guys were very pleasant surprises - outplaying expectations and playing as “dawgs” as the kids say. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.