Anyone else have a good feeling about the Titans vs. Jags?

JMM

I'm actually hoping the Jags win. Just like I hoped the Steelers won yesterday.

I want all the pressure on the Bills and McD today. Win and take the #2 spot. Or lose and go home.

Let's see what this team really has when they're backs are against the wall. Maybe they'll show up for once.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So why do you think it is underperforming?

Come on now, we've been through this.  

But the drops and TOs haven't been off of what they've been that past three seasons, and we went 13-3 with a more difficult schedule twice.  

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Come on now, we've been through this.  

But the drops and TOs haven't been off of what they've been that past three seasons, and we went 13-3 with a more difficult schedule twice.  

I don't think we have been through it. Why do you think the offense is underperforming?

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think we have been through it. Why do you think the offense is underperforming?

We have been through it and to be honest, not sure I feel like wrangling on this again right now.  

But, consider, as mentioned ... 

The best OL we've had in years with absolutely no starting OL missing any significant time.  

Allen

Add Kincaid

Shakir in his second season 

Easiest schedule on the defensive side that we've had since Allen's matured. 

Cook playing better than any RB on McD's watch.

TOs and Drops as you cited are on par with the past three seasons, two of which we went 13-3.  

Yet, our performance lags.  We're struggling to hit 11 wins and may not.  

What's the one primary thing missing from the above mix?  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We have been through it and to be honest, not sure I feel like wrangling on this again right now.  

The best OL we've had in years with absolutely no starting OL missing any significant time.  

Allen

Add Kincaid

TOs and Drops as you cited are on par with the past three seasons, two of which we went 13-3.  

An OC and a Head Coach.

21 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Allen

Add Kincaid

So you think it is coaching? What precisely? Play calling? Scheme? What? I am struggling to see where you are going with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So you think it is coaching? What precisely? Play calling? Scheme? What? I am struggling to see where you are going with it.

It has to be just the amorphous “coaching” GB. Come on.

I mean, Shakir is in his second season. What a thunderous endorsement of him as a player. 

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It has to be just the amorphous “coaching” GB. Come on.

I mean, Shakir is in his second season. What a thunderous endorsement of him as a player. 

I think there is a coaching element to it, and I am happy to have that conversation but just saying "coaching" isn't an answer to anything.

I think there is a coaching element to it, and I am happy to have that conversation but just saying "coaching" isn't an answer to anything.

What else has changed?  

Seems as if everything else was in our favor.  

There are obviously reasons and things to discuss, just not in the mood for something that's been discussed ad nauseum to date.  

As well, it's not as if us arguing about it is going to change even the slightest thing about it.  So what's the point.  

Enjoy the game this evening.  If we make the playoffs, perhaps that will, once again, shed some more light on the topic.  

... and reading the last few comments, you wonder why I don't want to discuss it.  LOL  

;)  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Imo, the offensive coaching has been much improved since Dorsey got canned. 

I think Diggs had hit a wall, and Josh was turning it over far too much without the reward the way Dorsey was calling games.

Brady switching to Cook heavy, letting Josh run (which, to be fair, Dorsey may not have been allowed to do) and less focusing on Gabe Davis from most gameplans has been a huge reason we have won games down this stretch. 

It hasn’t looked super pretty, but there’s not much more you can expect Brady to do midseason. Especially with Diggs either injured, aging before our eyes, or quitting on the team. 

The reason the Bills were in this hole can really be objectively summed up as an offensive slump (that Dorsey couldn’t coach his way out of), and a defensive slump (due to a large amount of catastrophic defensive injuries, and some coaching issues as well).

I think they have found their level since the bye.

Some folks want everything to be McD’s fault. Even if we are the 2 seed when the clock strikes midnight tonight, he will get very little credit for weathering the storm that other good coaches ALWAYS get, like Harbaugh and Tomlin. It will be “it shouldn’t have been a question in the first place,” like we have some All Star roster, instead of Josh, a good OL and good running back and everything else meh and a defense that’s outperforming it’s weight class by about 10x (coaching).

Edited by FireChans

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like your take. It's definitely a bunch of stuff adding up. But imo it starts and ends with coaching. Game planning, play calling, discipline, execution, accountability. All of the mistakes the players make are on the players, but even that rolls up to coaching. And we know the Offense has been a rudderless ship since McD focuses only on Defense. AND we're down to an Interim OC on top of that.

Layer in the usual injuries and dings and here we are.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Some folks want everything to be McD’s fault. Even if we are the 2 seed when the clock strikes midnight tonight, he will get very little credit for weathering the storm that other good coaches ALWAYS get, like Harbaugh and Tomlin. It will be “it shouldn’t have been a question in the first place,” like we have some All Star roster, instead of Josh, a good OL and good running back and everything else meh and a defense that’s outperforming it’s weight class by about 10x (coaching).

What storm has Harbaugh weathered this season?

Tomlin for sure, he has no QB and is still pulling out a double-digit win season.

The Bills have their QB. They have talent. They, like the Ravens, are mostly healthy. They're just completely inconsistent on which team shows up to play or not play. Unlike the Ravens who show up to beat up the other team every week.

Harbaugh is doing the job McD should be doing.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like your take. It's definitely a bunch of stuff adding up. But imo it starts and ends with coaching. Game planning, play calling, discipline, execution, accountability. All of the mistakes the players make are on the players, but even that rolls up to coaching. And we know the Offense has been a rudderless ship since McD focuses only on Defense. AND we're down to an Interim OC on top of that.

Layer in the usual injuries and dings and here we are.

What storm has Harbaugh weathered this season?

Tomlin for sure, he has no QB and is still pulling out a double-digit win season.

The Bills have their QB. They have talent. They, like the Ravens, are mostly healthy. They're just completely inconsistent on which team shows up to play or not play. Unlike the Ravens who show up to beat up the other team every week.

Harbaugh is doing the job McD should be doing.

Not this year for sure, but Harbaugh has gotten a lot of credit for having his team in the mix, even when things look their worst in Ravens land.

Harbaugh survived winning one playoff game since 2014 and multiple “down” years since then. A lot of them with Flacco and/or Lamar. 

Harbaugh survived having LJ being the unanimous MVP, and the one seed, and getting punked in their first playoff game.

Harbaugh survived getting ABSOLUTELY out coached in the divisional round in 2020. 

I disagree the health of the Ravens and the Bills are the same. Roquan Smith has been a huge piece for them. If they lost him, I don’t think Lamar has already locked up the MVP (from a win perspective). I also disagree that their talent is the same.

But regardless, the Ravens went 8-9 and 10-7 with a one and done playoff run the last two seasons with Lamar. I think most agree the fan base wouldn’t want to give McD that chance to retool with two years like that. Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2024 at 12:41 PM, JMM said:

Say what you want about Vrabel as a HC at times but he has team always ready to play and very physical.  He's quoted this week how much he hates losing and wants to win badly.  In addition Tannehill is going to start. In a one game situation he can be very dynamic and carve a team up. He realizes this is probably his last game with them and wants to go out with a win. They are home.  And Trevor Lawrence is beat up and really hasn't played that well this year(except against the Bills of course 🙄). I think there is a real good chance they pull off the upset and the Bills are in the playoffs before they kick it off. Would be nice to know that then can go get that #2 seed!

So, how you feeling about tonight?😉

On 1/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, JMM said:

Say what you want about Vrabel as a HC at times but he has team always ready to play and very physical.  He's quoted this week how much he hates losing and wants to win badly.  In addition Tannehill is going to start. In a one game situation he can be very dynamic and carve a team up. He realizes this is probably his last game with them and wants to go out with a win. They are home.  And Trevor Lawrence is beat up and really hasn't played that well this year(except against the Bills of course 🙄). I think there is a real good chance they pull off the upset and the Bills are in the playoffs before they kick it off. Would be nice to know that then can go get that #2 seed!

Good work my guy!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

We'll find out soon.  🙂

Told you the Titans would play hard. I didn't expect them to win. And but for the Jags shooting themselves in the foot they wouldn't have won. But I knew they'd play full gas. It is just who Vrabel is.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Told you the Titans would play hard. I didn't expect them to win. And but for the Jags shooting themselves in the foot they wouldn't have won. But I knew they'd play full gas. It is just who Vrabel is.

Yeah, they did, and it didn't even cost them a draft spot.  

But yeah, the Jags were their own worst enemy today also.  

At least we're in although we'll all be a whole lot happier if we win tonight.  

Be nice if we win and Houston or Cleveland goes to Baltimore in the D-round with the Ravens rusty and beats them, putting the AFC CG in Buffalo.  

On 1/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, JMM said:

I was RIGHT!!! Once in 2 thousand times. I sense a trend...🤣🤣

19 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

So, how you feeling about tonight?😉

I think they will now play very relaxed and well. All pressure on the fish now. But hard to say. Both teams almost have to hold back a bit now with them possibly playing again in 7 days

I felt good about this matchup all week long because I had faith the team would want to play well for what would possibly be the last hurrah for Vrabel, Henry, and Tannehill.

Once I saw the first Titans drive, I felt even better. Henry running hard, Tannehill looking sharp, trick plays being dialed up, the stuff about Hopkins' contract incentives...this was a team playing to win!

I'll admit to getting pretty nervous in the 4th quarter, but...very thankful to the Titans today.

Come to think of it, the Titans helped us twice: Once by beating the Phins and making tonight's game meaningful, and again by clinching playoffs for us. The fact that today's win happened with former Dolphin Ryan Tannehill under center made it even sweeter.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, they did, and it didn't even cost them a draft spot.  

But yeah, the Jags were their own worst enemy today also.  

At least we're in although we'll all be a whole lot happier if we win tonight.  

Be nice if we win and Houston or Cleveland goes to Baltimore in the D-round with the Ravens rusty and beats them, putting the AFC CG in Buffalo.  

Yea there are teams who in that scenario would worry about draft picks. But it just isn't who Vrabel is and even if his owner or GM told him to he'd tell them to go ***** themselves. 

If we win tonight the route of Pittsburgh and KC both in Buffalo is about the best it could be IMO. Despite the Mahomes factor.

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea there are teams who in that scenario would worry about draft picks. But it just isn't who Vrabel is and even if his owner or GM told him to he'd tell them to go ***** themselves. 

If we win tonight the route of Pittsburgh and KC both in Buffalo is about the best it could be IMO. Despite the Mahomes factor.

Just sayin', it didn't cost them a pick.   ... regardless of anything else.  

Edited by PBF81

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

You should never have this mindset. Rooting against your team to make it so that we can get a higher draft pick because "'the odds of us going on the road and doing anything isn't good". You have to get in to make it happen and I would still gladly take the 7 seed to make that happen. Wanting another team to win that would eliminate us with a loss is just flat out stupid 

MY mindset is get the 2nd seed.  How did you possibly read into what you quoted & come up with what you did?  I want the Bills to be hungry to get the #2 seed.  I'm hoping they're still as hungry as if they didn't clinch anything yet.  #2 seed means 2 home games vs going on the road to KC in round 1.  

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree but I do sorta see the logic. If the Bills can't beat Miami tonight with Waddle and Mostart sitting how are they beating them in Miami next week with both of them back? I know any given Sunday and all but feels like that stage they would be a bit wing and a prayer. I'd still rather be in than not. But I understand the thinking that if we can't win tonight it is better to try and pick 19th or 20th in the draft than 22nd or 23rd. Especially with where that second tier of receivers (after Harrison who is alone in tier 1) - Nabers, Odunze, Coleman - might come off the board. 

I know there are some people who don't even want to think draft yet, and that is fine. But it is the time of year when my mind turns to it regardless of whether the Bills are in or out.

There was no logic to his post at all unless he replied to my post by mistake & was answering someone else.  

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

MY mindset is get the 2nd seed.  How did you possibly read into what you quoted & come up with what you did?  I want the Bills to be hungry to get the #2 seed.  I'm hoping they're still as hungry as if they didn't clinch anything yet.  #2 seed means 2 home games vs going on the road to KC in round 1.  

Because I read it correctly. Yes, by winning we get the 2 seed but you realize that wanting the Jags to win is still rooting against us because them winning and us losing eliminates us. It's pretty simple how I came up with it

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Because I read it correctly. Yes, by winning we get the 2 seed but you realize that wanting the Jags to win is still rooting against us because them winning and us losing eliminates us. It's pretty simple how I came up with it

It's a totally illogical conclusion. The Jags wouldn't have eliminated us with a Bills WIN.  You need a remedial reading comprehension course.  There was nothing said about draft picks. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's a totally illogical conclusion. The Jags wouldn't have eliminated us with a Bills WIN.  You need a remedial reading comprehension course.  

Yes, but you can't count on a win. Therefore rooting for a Jags win is rooting against the Bills. The Bills will still be just as hungry for the 2 seed. I'm sorry the Titans won today. I hope you're not too hurt by it. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yes, but you can't count on a win. Therefore rooting for a Jags win is rooting against the Bills. The Bills will still be just as hungry for the 2 seed. I'm sorry the Titans won today. I hope you're not too hurt by it. 

You still don't know how to read the posts you quote.  Explain how you went to talking about the draft in your reply when the draft was never mentioned & the post was about wanting the Bills to get the 2nd seed.   When the Bills win tonight your conclusion will make even less sense than the little sense it makes now. 

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You still don't know how to read the posts you quote.  Explain how you went to talking about the draft in your reply when the draft was never mentioned & the post was about wanting the Bills to get the 2nd seed.   When the Bills win tonight your conclusion will make even less sense than the little sense it makes now. 

The draft is a moot point. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. Someone was here the other day saying that they wouldn't have minded if the Bills lost because if they got the 6 or 7 seed that they wouldn't have gone far anyway and would have liked a higher draft position. I was just basically comparing yours to theirs. You're still rooting against the Bills wanting the Jags to win which would coincide with a higher draft position if they missed. However, my response to your thread was moreso about how rooting for the Jags is rooting against the Bills moreso than you wanting a higher draft position 

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.