Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys 8:15 pm

T&C

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Still, an indication that Detroit got a bit too tricky even for their own good, and it backfired. Once the mess was made, you kick the extra point and head to overtime. 

Agree. No excuse for the idiot ref,  but Campbell obviously meant it to be over the top tricky with three lineman going over to the official, and also telling him during the pre-game warm up that they would do this.  In the heat of the game, the ref didn’t remember and also just assumed it was #70 reporting (as he had been doing it at other times during the game). 
Detroit ran it perfectly and got hosed by the incompetence of the official.  I guess you have to assume refs are idiots and keep it as simple as possible and leave no room for other interpretation. I feel for the Lions. At least they’re in the playoffs already and this didn’t cost them a spot. Imagine if it did.

i completely expect the Bills to get some horrific call in the playoffs (knock on wood)

41 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I am in the minority, but I still say the Lions should have kicked the XP and decide the game in OT.  Instead, the Lions tried to “trick” the Cowboys and instead “confused” the officials.  Let’s see how ballsy Campbell is come playoff time.  Lose a game like this come playoff time, and I guarantee the fanbase will not be forgiving. 

The thing is it wasn't confusing for the referee. 70, who was mistakenly reported as eligible, never got within 20 feet of the ref and never made the patting motion. Meanwhile, 68 is right in the refs face and made the reporting motion. The ref looks right at him and nodded. This wasn't a complicated situation for the referee. He just messed up in a major, game and potentially season changing way. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The thing is it wasn't confusing for the referee. 70, who was mistakenly reported as eligible, never got within 20 feet of the ref and never made the patting motion. Meanwhile, 68 is right in the refs face and made the reporting motion. The ref looks right at him and nodded. This wasn't a complicated situation for the referee. He just messed up in a major, game and potentially season changing way. 

Yep, the video is clear as day. Total brain fart f*up or he’s on the take. 

54 minutes ago, Bill51390 said:

Just curious, were all 3 lineman trying to report as eligible? Or did they send three guys over there trying to cause possible confusion for the defense and it backfired and confused the ref? 

#68 is the only one who reported. #58 and #70 were just a distraction to try to confuse the defense. The latter two never actually said anything to the ref, but #70 had been reporting throughout the game so the ref just assumed he was going to report again. Was a great design by the Lions and they even warned the ref in advance that they were going to do it to avoid this exact situation but the ref just couldn't help himself from messing up.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, balln said:

I’ll repeat. Go watch the play. Doesn’t matter 68 was covered up by a WR. He’s ineligible no matter if he reports. 

Reynolds 8 was on the line…..

That’s misinformation. The ref confirmed that if Decker had reported, no penalty would have been called. You can bet that the officials would have taken that “out” if it were available.

4 minutes ago, balln said:

I’ll repeat. Go watch the play. Doesn’t matter 68 was covered up by a WR. He’s ineligible no matter if he reports. 

Reynolds 8 was on the line…..

You can repeat it 'til the cows come home and you'll still be wrong.

He was not covered.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Refs yet again blow a cool play in a big moment.

It's why fans are becoming conditioned to waiting to celebrate turnovers, TDs, and really anything huge in a game until they ensure there's no flag.

When "there are no flags!" Is part of every big kick return call you have a problem.

Ticky tack BS and outright mistakes by the refs should not be negating scoring plays. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Refs yet again blow a cool play in a big moment.

It's why fans are becoming conditioned to waiting to celebrate turnovers, TDs, and really anything huge in a game until they ensure there's no flag.

When "there are no flags!" Is part of every big kick return call you have a problem.

Ticky tack BS and outright mistakes by the refs should not be negating scoring plays. 

about to run me off. there is no joy in watching refs ruin the game. they suck.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I am in the minority, but I still say the Lions should have kicked the XP and decide the game in OT.  Instead, the Lions tried to “trick” the Cowboys and instead “confused” the officials.  Let’s see how ballsy Campbell is come playoff time.  Lose a game like this come playoff time, and I guarantee the fanbase will not be forgiving. 

Like this! Yes they would be since it worked and the refs totally messed it up..  now if they refs don’t mess it up and it fails then you would be right.. but exactly like this the fans would feel, like every other fan base, that they were robbed. 

12 hours ago, DCOrange said:

#70 is the only one that the ref reported as eligible and he's also the only one that didn't have a chance to talk to the ref in order to report lol

Interesting. Thanks.  Other two clearly seemed to be reporting.  Did the ref screw it up that badly?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.